Re: RL800 aborts edging before completed a lap... new behavior

  • ronstory
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2006
      I'll try and answer all the questions in one pass. ;^)

      The mighty mower seems to just think that it's completed the initial
      edge and just stops... turns to it's left 90 degree and charges
      across the lawn in it's usual scan mode. Once it's in scan mode, it
      completes the lawn and runs for about 3.25 hours. The result looks
      just as good as before... but the around the edge of the yard it
      looks "rough" since it never completed "edging" the lawn.

      I have about a 6000 sqft basically square lawn with three trees
      towards the center. There is no landscaping for it to run into and
      the mow height is set to the two clicks below the higest setting.
      The lawn is mowed twice a week so it is really just trimming
      or "grazing" rather than serious mowing.

      Battery life seem fine at over 3 hours and the puzzling thing is
      that it does not "abort" at any of the corners... it is just heading
      straight down a 70-80ft side of the yard... stops and then goes into
      scan mode.

      I'm now taken to using the dreaded gas mower to do the edge... the
      then have the robomower handle the rest.

      I'll try it again today and see if I notice anything odd and report
      back.

      Thanks,
      Ron

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "IGGY & Svetlana"
      <iggyandsvetlana@...> wrote:

      > Does it go into scanning mode or just stops? Check to make sure
      you have the
      > mower at the highest settings to make sure grass is not too tall
      and doesn't
      > drag under the deck of the mower. Also, if you have several yards
      meet in
      > the perimeter zone water may have washed off some dirt and changed
      > landscaping - do you see any low spots? Grass may grow in clumps
      there, tree
      > roots can come up, etc. I'd start with higher settings for edging
      to see how
      > it goes.
      >

      > Let us know.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > IGGY

    • IGGY & Svetlana
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2006
        Have you tried to reprogram the learn edge? If after that it continues doing
        it I'd send it for warranty service.

        Sincerely,

        IGGY

      • tysamigo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006
          Ron,

          Very simply solution.

          Depending on what SW version you have, you are looking for a feature called
          Edge to Dock. It will be either under Preferences or under the Service Key
          under Settings. Turn this feature ON and your problem should be solved. If
          you see Islands in your menu and you DO have islands then leave this setting
          ON. If you don't have islands then turn it OFF. Also it's best to turn Fast
          Edge OFF. All of these are under Preferences or Service Key/Settings
          depending on SW version. Do these settings (specifically Edge to Dock) and your
          problem should be solved.

          Ty

        • tysamigo@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006
            If the mower is an RL1000 and it's in the D.Station or the D.Zone then there
            is no learn edge. The mower goes until it reaches the D.Station which is
            the same thing as learn edge, just slightly different. If the mower however
            does not make it to the D.Station then turn on the feature Edge to Dock ON.

            Ty

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006
              I think he said he had RL800.

              Sincerely,

              IGGY Dybal

              _____

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006
                Have you started the mower in a different spot?

                IGGY & Svetlana <iggyandsvetlana@...> wrote: I think he said he had RL800.

                Sincerely,

                IGGY Dybal

                _____

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006
                  I've got a problem with the docking station for my RL1000 (green) mower.

                  When I try to mow the docking station will beep and show the "perimeter wire
                  cut" light, but only for a few seconds (six or sometimes seven beeps).

                  I undock and turn the perimeter wire ON and OFF, the beep/flashing occurs
                  when I turn the wire ON. The beeping does not *stay* on, just the six or 6
                  beeps.

                  I put a 6" piece of wire across the perimeter wire plug and get the same
                  beep/flash combination as when the perimeter is connected.

                  When I unplug the perimeter wire the station continuously shows a cut wire
                  as it should.

                  I put a tone generator on the wire and it shows signal all the way around.
                  Checking resistance shows about 6 ohms so the wire looked good.

                  Power to the docking station is 40.1v, and the mower charging is fine.

                  To check the wire for sure, I pulled the wire connector outside the dock and
                  plugged in a regular perimeter switch. It's mowing now so the wire is fine.

                  This message/beep combination is trying to point me to something, but
                  without full documentation I can't tell what. Can someone tell me what it
                  means? We *really* need more complete docs on this thing.

                  Thanks,
                  Dan

                • tysamigo@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006
                    Dan,

                    That is what service techs like myself are for and why we have a job :)

                    It looks as though the D.Board might have a problem which can be exhanged.

                    Tyler

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006

                      Yea, but some of your customers are Geeks, Control Systems Engineers and
                      Computer Programmers. I know at least one that's all three <vbg>.

                      > It looks as though the D.Board might have a problem which can be
                      > exhanged.

                      I'll get in touch with you so you can earn your keep<g>. I'm thinking about
                      upgrading the software on both of my mowers (both green RL1000's) to get the
                      variable time entry point upgrade.

                      When is a good time for that, given the holiday? Are you guys open on
                      Monday?

                      Thanks,
                      Dan

                      > Tyler
                      >

                      > In a message dated 7/2/2006 7:47:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      > Dan@... writes:
                      >

                      > I've got a problem with the docking station for my RL1000 (green) mower.
                      >
                      > When I try to mow the docking station will beep and show the "perimeter
                      > wire
                      > cut" light, but only for a few seconds (six or sometimes seven beeps).
                      >
                      > I undock and turn the perimeter wire ON and OFF, the beep/flashing occurs
                      > when I turn the wire ON. The beeping does not *stay* on, just the six or
                      > 6
                      > beeps.
                      >
                      > I put a 6" piece of wire across the perimeter wire plug and get the same
                      > beep/flash combination as when the perimeter is connected.
                      >
                      > When I unplug the perimeter wire the station continuously shows a cut
                      > wire
                      > as it should.
                      >
                      > I put a tone generator on the wire and it shows signal all the way
                      > around.
                      > Checking resistance shows about 6 ohms so the wire looked good.
                      >
                      > Power to the docking station is 40.1v, and the mower charging is fine.
                      >
                      > To check the wire for sure, I pulled the wire connector outside the dock
                      > and
                      > plugged in a regular perimeter switch. It's mowing now so the wire is
                      > fine.
                      >
                      > This message/beep combination is trying to point me to something, but
                      > without full documentation I can't tell what. Can someone tell me what it
                      > means? We *really* need more complete docs on this thing.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Dan

                    • arpennycuff
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006
                        There may be a bad batch of boards. I just hooked up my new RL1000
                        this past weekend. I used my existing wire that I have been using
                        for my 3 RL-500's. I got the exact same behavior from my charging
                        station as Dan described. I too plugged in my perimeter switch and
                        the mowers worked fine. I left it plugged up and charging overnight
                        and to my surprise the next morning I tried it and did not receive
                        the cut wire error and have not received it since.

                        Tony

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 3, 2006
                          Tony,

                          My dock is not new. I bought it early last year and it's worked fine until
                          a couple of days ago. I don't think it's a bad batch of boards, it just
                          broke.

                          I'm guessing that it got moisture in there somehow. It's been pretty humid
                          around here (and now raining hard).

                          Dan

                        • Austin Morgan
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 3, 2006
                            Something scary, I also had this problem last week. I had disconnected the
                            docking station so I could clean up my back portch, I plugged it in and it
                            gave me the broken perimeter wire error. It even persisted with multiple
                            reboots. I used the perimter switch to mow. After it was finished I wen into
                            debugging mode, but when I plugged it in again everything was fine...

                            Austin

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 3, 2006
                              That's downright weird that we'd have 3 at once, having never heard of it
                              before.

                              I disconnected an reconnected power yesterday but it didn't make any
                              difference.

                              Dan