RE: [RoboMower] RL800 aborts edging before completed a lap... new behavior

  • IGGY & Svetlana
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 30, 2006
      Does it go into scanning mode or just stops? Check to make sure you have the
      mower at the highest settings to make sure grass is not too tall and doesn't
      drag under the deck of the mower. Also, if you have several yards meet in
      the perimeter zone water may have washed off some dirt and changed
      landscaping - do you see any low spots? Grass may grow in clumps there, tree
      roots can come up, etc. I'd start with higher settings for edging to see how
      it goes.

      Let us know.

      Sincerely,

      IGGY

    • ronstory
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2006
        I'll try and answer all the questions in one pass. ;^)

        The mighty mower seems to just think that it's completed the initial
        edge and just stops... turns to it's left 90 degree and charges
        across the lawn in it's usual scan mode. Once it's in scan mode, it
        completes the lawn and runs for about 3.25 hours. The result looks
        just as good as before... but the around the edge of the yard it
        looks "rough" since it never completed "edging" the lawn.

        I have about a 6000 sqft basically square lawn with three trees
        towards the center. There is no landscaping for it to run into and
        the mow height is set to the two clicks below the higest setting.
        The lawn is mowed twice a week so it is really just trimming
        or "grazing" rather than serious mowing.

        Battery life seem fine at over 3 hours and the puzzling thing is
        that it does not "abort" at any of the corners... it is just heading
        straight down a 70-80ft side of the yard... stops and then goes into
        scan mode.

        I'm now taken to using the dreaded gas mower to do the edge... the
        then have the robomower handle the rest.

        I'll try it again today and see if I notice anything odd and report
        back.

        Thanks,
        Ron

        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "IGGY & Svetlana"
        <iggyandsvetlana@...> wrote:

        > Does it go into scanning mode or just stops? Check to make sure
        you have the
        > mower at the highest settings to make sure grass is not too tall
        and doesn't
        > drag under the deck of the mower. Also, if you have several yards
        meet in
        > the perimeter zone water may have washed off some dirt and changed
        > landscaping - do you see any low spots? Grass may grow in clumps
        there, tree
        > roots can come up, etc. I'd start with higher settings for edging
        to see how
        > it goes.
        >

        > Let us know.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > IGGY

      • IGGY & Svetlana
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 1, 2006
          Have you tried to reprogram the learn edge? If after that it continues doing
          it I'd send it for warranty service.

          Sincerely,

          IGGY

        • tysamigo@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006
            Ron,

            Very simply solution.

            Depending on what SW version you have, you are looking for a feature called
            Edge to Dock. It will be either under Preferences or under the Service Key
            under Settings. Turn this feature ON and your problem should be solved. If
            you see Islands in your menu and you DO have islands then leave this setting
            ON. If you don't have islands then turn it OFF. Also it's best to turn Fast
            Edge OFF. All of these are under Preferences or Service Key/Settings
            depending on SW version. Do these settings (specifically Edge to Dock) and your
            problem should be solved.

            Ty

          • tysamigo@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006
              If the mower is an RL1000 and it's in the D.Station or the D.Zone then there
              is no learn edge. The mower goes until it reaches the D.Station which is
              the same thing as learn edge, just slightly different. If the mower however
              does not make it to the D.Station then turn on the feature Edge to Dock ON.

              Ty

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006
                I think he said he had RL800.

                Sincerely,

                IGGY Dybal

                _____

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006
                  Have you started the mower in a different spot?

                  IGGY & Svetlana <iggyandsvetlana@...> wrote: I think he said he had RL800.

                  Sincerely,

                  IGGY Dybal

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006
                    I've got a problem with the docking station for my RL1000 (green) mower.

                    When I try to mow the docking station will beep and show the "perimeter wire
                    cut" light, but only for a few seconds (six or sometimes seven beeps).

                    I undock and turn the perimeter wire ON and OFF, the beep/flashing occurs
                    when I turn the wire ON. The beeping does not *stay* on, just the six or 6
                    beeps.

                    I put a 6" piece of wire across the perimeter wire plug and get the same
                    beep/flash combination as when the perimeter is connected.

                    When I unplug the perimeter wire the station continuously shows a cut wire
                    as it should.

                    I put a tone generator on the wire and it shows signal all the way around.
                    Checking resistance shows about 6 ohms so the wire looked good.

                    Power to the docking station is 40.1v, and the mower charging is fine.

                    To check the wire for sure, I pulled the wire connector outside the dock and
                    plugged in a regular perimeter switch. It's mowing now so the wire is fine.

                    This message/beep combination is trying to point me to something, but
                    without full documentation I can't tell what. Can someone tell me what it
                    means? We *really* need more complete docs on this thing.

                    Thanks,
                    Dan

                  • tysamigo@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006
                      Dan,

                      That is what service techs like myself are for and why we have a job :)

                      It looks as though the D.Board might have a problem which can be exhanged.

                      Tyler

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006

                        Yea, but some of your customers are Geeks, Control Systems Engineers and
                        Computer Programmers. I know at least one that's all three <vbg>.

                        > It looks as though the D.Board might have a problem which can be
                        > exhanged.

                        I'll get in touch with you so you can earn your keep<g>. I'm thinking about
                        upgrading the software on both of my mowers (both green RL1000's) to get the
                        variable time entry point upgrade.

                        When is a good time for that, given the holiday? Are you guys open on
                        Monday?

                        Thanks,
                        Dan

                        > Tyler
                        >

                        > In a message dated 7/2/2006 7:47:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                        > Dan@... writes:
                        >

                        > I've got a problem with the docking station for my RL1000 (green) mower.
                        >
                        > When I try to mow the docking station will beep and show the "perimeter
                        > wire
                        > cut" light, but only for a few seconds (six or sometimes seven beeps).
                        >
                        > I undock and turn the perimeter wire ON and OFF, the beep/flashing occurs
                        > when I turn the wire ON. The beeping does not *stay* on, just the six or
                        > 6
                        > beeps.
                        >
                        > I put a 6" piece of wire across the perimeter wire plug and get the same
                        > beep/flash combination as when the perimeter is connected.
                        >
                        > When I unplug the perimeter wire the station continuously shows a cut
                        > wire
                        > as it should.
                        >
                        > I put a tone generator on the wire and it shows signal all the way
                        > around.
                        > Checking resistance shows about 6 ohms so the wire looked good.
                        >
                        > Power to the docking station is 40.1v, and the mower charging is fine.
                        >
                        > To check the wire for sure, I pulled the wire connector outside the dock
                        > and
                        > plugged in a regular perimeter switch. It's mowing now so the wire is
                        > fine.
                        >
                        > This message/beep combination is trying to point me to something, but
                        > without full documentation I can't tell what. Can someone tell me what it
                        > means? We *really* need more complete docs on this thing.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Dan

                      • arpennycuff
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006
                          There may be a bad batch of boards. I just hooked up my new RL1000
                          this past weekend. I used my existing wire that I have been using
                          for my 3 RL-500's. I got the exact same behavior from my charging
                          station as Dan described. I too plugged in my perimeter switch and
                          the mowers worked fine. I left it plugged up and charging overnight
                          and to my surprise the next morning I tried it and did not receive
                          the cut wire error and have not received it since.

                          Tony

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 3, 2006
                            Tony,

                            My dock is not new. I bought it early last year and it's worked fine until
                            a couple of days ago. I don't think it's a bad batch of boards, it just
                            broke.

                            I'm guessing that it got moisture in there somehow. It's been pretty humid
                            around here (and now raining hard).

                            Dan

                          • Austin Morgan
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 3, 2006
                              Something scary, I also had this problem last week. I had disconnected the
                              docking station so I could clean up my back portch, I plugged it in and it
                              gave me the broken perimeter wire error. It even persisted with multiple
                              reboots. I used the perimter switch to mow. After it was finished I wen into
                              debugging mode, but when I plugged it in again everything was fine...

                              Austin

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 3, 2006
                                That's downright weird that we'd have 3 at once, having never heard of it
                                before.

                                I disconnected an reconnected power yesterday but it didn't make any
                                difference.

                                Dan