8315Re: Electrical connection of docking station

  • terry_veldhuizen
    Sep 1, 2005
      The power supply is not made for outdoor use, but it could be enclosed
      in a weatherproof housing. When you get the power supply, take it to
      Lowes or Home Depot and look at the enclosures in the electrical
      department. You want a enclosure with a cover that has a gasket to
      keep out the rain with the holes for the cables on the bottom. This
      enclosure can be mounted near the outdoor electrical outlet.

      Also, while most outdoor style electrical outlets are weatherproof
      when not in use, many have covers that remain open when in use. This
      will be a permanent installation, so if you have one of this style,
      ask at the hardware store for covers that will keep out the rain while
      in use. There are plastic covers that provide a shroud to keep the
      rain out.

      Hopfully this will go without saying, (Of course, if it goes without
      saying, then why am I saying it?) but all outside (as well as kitchen
      and bathroom) outlets should be properly installed GFI types. These
      are so cheap today that there is no excuse for not using them.

      Good luck
      Terry

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "tinapropes" <tinapropes@y...> wrote:
      > That is dissapointing. My docking station is supposed to be
      delivered
      > today and I intend to set it up next to my deck in my backyard. I
      > have an outdoor weatherproof electrical outlet next to my deck and I
      > had planned on using that outlet to power my docking station. I
      guess
      > I will have to plug it up in the basement and then run the cord out
      > window. That is not a very clean installation. What inventive
      ideas
      > have the rest of you come up with to deal with this problem?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > William
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic