      From: "Danny Miller dannym@... [RoboMower]" <RoboMower@yahoogroups.com>
      To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2014 1:16 PM
      Subject: Re: [RoboMower] Re: Batteries not charging

      FIAMM is one mfg out of 100x.  And a VERY obscure mfg as things go.  I have never heard of them outside the context of Robomower.

      These are known as a "half-U1" battery.  You need 2x to make a Robomower battery.  They're listed as 17AH-22AH.  The terminal types vary, but the case is standard, however the term "half U1" is not all that common.

      CSB, BB Battery, and Universal do most of the market today.  IMHO Universal is crap.  BB Battery is some quality stuff, especially the "EB" type (Electric Bike, meant for harsh handling).

      I arranged for Digikey to carry the EB20-12 years ago:

      http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&keywords=eb20-12

      There's an obscure HACK in Digikey's agreement.  IF you pay by CHECK, shipping is FREE.  WTF?  True!  Print out the order, mail it with a physical check, and get ~30 lbs of battery shipped for free.  Well the batteries aren't "cheap", $62/batt is a bit high but it's not much more than the shipped cost of Universal batts.  The thing is the EB20-12 will perform well for many seasons.  Most other batts we've tried crap out inside of a single season.

      Danny

      On 7/27/2014 12:01 PM, 'Ken H.' khawn@... [RoboMower] wrote:

      The brand name is FIAMM. The model # is FG21803.  I bought the batteries from Battery Depot in Jacksonville, Fl.  You can Google them to find out if they will ship to you.

      Ken

      On Saturday, July 26, 2014 1:47 PM, "Charles Grenkow cgrenkow@... [RoboMower]" <RoboMower@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      What kind of batteries did you buy?  4 hours is really good!

      To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
      From: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 16:17:41 -0700

      I thought it would be interesting to test the batteries I bought the other day.  The mower was allowed to run around my backyard with the blades engaged.  The grass had recently been cut, so there was very little resistance.  The mower ran for 4 hours and was still running strong when I had to shut it off.   Looks like I'm back in business.   Thanks for all the feedback

      Ken

      On Friday, July 25, 2014 2:03 PM, "Charles Grenkow cgrenkow@... [RoboMower]" <RoboMower@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Good luck - keep us updated.

      Chuck

      To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
      From: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 07:29:59 -0700
      Subject: [RoboMower] Re: Batteries not charging

      Sorry it took so long to update you.  My neighbor checked out my mower with his trusty volt tester.  He diagnosed the problem as a bad battery.  All of the other connections had continuity, so he ruled that out.  Well, I took my battery pack down to the battery shop and they ran their diagnostics on the batteries and found out that neither one of the batteries were worth a flip.  So, I walked out $130 poorer.  After putting the batteries back into the machine I plugged up the charger.   I was still getting an error message about "check the power".  I hooked up the new charger that I ordered and got the same message.  After that I went back to the old charger and "Waala" it started charging.  It has been charging now for two days, so I turned it loose in he back yard and now I will see how long it will run with the new batteries.

      I hope my problem is fixed.  Robby was just on the verge of going to the junk heap.

      Ken

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic

    »
    «