18779RE: [RoboMower] Stuttering wheel motor

  • Tim Wolff
    Jun 2, 2014
      Cleaning the motor won't hurt. Just use an aerosol electric motor cleaner. You should be able to find it in an automotive store, automotive dept. of a department store, hardware store, etc. One labeled safe for plastics would be a plus. But, keep even that off the plastic parts of the mower.

      > To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
      > From: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 16:03:49 -0500
      > Subject: Re: [RoboMower] Stuttering wheel motor
      >
      > MOSFETs typically don't "flake". They either fuse (usually short
      > circuit) or work.
      >
      > Oiling the motor brush area is a no-no. This will do 2 terrible things-
      > one, it's oil and can insulate the brush/copper interface. Two, all the
      > carbon dust and dirty cooling air will form crud that will now stick to
      > things. It could short out the armature, or jam the brush in the holder.
      >
      > Danny
      >
      > On 6/2/2014 3:50 PM, CZ Unit cz@... [RoboMower] wrote:
      > > On 6/2/2014 3:52 PM, Lee Hart leeahart@... [RoboMower] wrote:
      > >> The other thing I'm wondering is if the motor's brushes are failing, and
      > >> making a poor connection to the commutator. I've had that happen on
      > >> other old brushed DC motors, that developed corrosion so the brushes
      > >> stuck in their brush holders.
      > > Possibly. Could it also be a flakey FET? You could try squirting a bit
      > > of penetrating oil into the brush area, don't ever do this on a running
      > > motor by the way, the phrase "jet engine of flames" doesn't escape my
      > > lips too often...

      > > Posted by: CZ Unit <cz@...>
      > > ------------------------------------
      > >
      > > Yahoo Groups Links

      > <*> Your email settings:
      > Individual Email | Traditional
      >
      > <*> To change settings online go to:
      > (Yahoo! ID required)
      >
      > <*> To change settings via email:
      > RoboMower-digest@yahoogroups.com
      > RoboMower-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      > <*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
      > https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic