18556Re: RL850/800 Self Maintenance

  • rann_georgia
    Jun 13, 2013
      Could be just normal aging of the batteries or one yard is harder to mow than the others. On mine, I get about 3 1/2 hours of mowing of a flat yard, requiring just a trim up.

      You could change the mowers to the other yard and see if the time that it lasts is longer.

      Basic battery info that I've learned is to not mix different brands of batteries in the same battery pack. Always replace batteries in pairs. A new battery will fail fairly quickly along side an old, bad battery. Also, some brands are better at supplying power to things in motion, or so I was told by a battery company.

      Either store the batteries over winter with a float charger or buy an indoor charging unit that plugs into the controller. Lighting got the main board of the charging dock of mine. I had a remote transmitter and bought the indoor charging system and never looked back.

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "johnz1967" <johnz1967@...> wrote:

      > Don't have the exact brand in front of me as I type, but they are either 1 and 2 years old or 2 and 3 years old. They were replaced in pairs, they are correct for the application (high drain / deep cycle), about 18ah with as I remember the spec sheet on them supposed to be good for 4-5 hours at the rate of draw from a robomower. I limit them to one section of the lawn each time (<2 hours) and I barely can get that out of them, even when brand new they were about drained after that. While grass grows like crazy in the summer here the mowing season is only 4 months each year so they aren't getting used a ton. I am about as confident as I could be that the batteries are not the issue. I suspect the robomowers, particularly the 850, are now using around 6-7ah instead of the 4ish out of the box. I just don't know where to start with trying to rectify that, thinking it could be anything from the wheel motors to the blade motor to the wheels, stuff worn, dirty, etc.. ?
      >

      > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "rann_georgia" <southbound03@> wrote:
      > >
      > > How old are the sets of batteries on each mower? What brand are they?
      > >
      > > And, if replaced, were they replaced in pairs.
      > >

      > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "johnz1967" <johnz1967@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hey all, any help appreciated....
      > > >
      > > > I have a RL850 now on its eighth year of service. It is draining batteries at a much faster rate than when new. I bought a used RL800 at a garage sale to have spare parts / emergency backup / etc.. but now use it to handle the back-yard and the 850 just does the front yard. Comparing the two when running the 800 sounds much smoother than the 850, the 850 almost sounds like its straining. Not that the 800 sounds brand new.
      > > >
      > > > My two major problems are: I'm in Alaska, no repair centers, shipping to/from one is not something I'm interested in paying for; Whatever board handles charging on the 800 isn't working, it won't charge a battery (checked fuses, replaced the plug-in charger), so I'm currently carrying batteries around and using the 850 to do all the charging.
      > > >
      > > > My questions are: What are the logical suspects for causing additional amp usage? Is there any maintenance or lubrication I can do myself to maybe tackle? I've done some internet surfing and didn't come across much.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks
      > > >
      > > > John

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic