16719Re: I have lithium LiFePO4!

  • Frans
    Mar 8, 2010
      Hello Danny,

      Thanks for reacting to my questions!

      Anyone considered using fuel cells? The only reference on the forum is this one:

      There are fuel cells for mobil homes and the like, but they cost as much as a robomower, are too big and supply only 12 Volts, (the professional does 24 Volts, but it is Big Size!

      http://www.efoy.com/en/

      Also came across this one:

      http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/08/nokia-wants-patent-on-self-regenerating-phone-batteries-piezoel/

      Nice for your Nokia but I don't see it powering Robomowie.

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Frans" <voorde@...> wrote:

      > Don't I LOVE abbreviations!!!!
      >
      > BMS = Battery Management System (???) which in my humble opinion is a posh word for controller.
      >
      > Will the BMS effectively fool the Robomower electronics into thinking this is a Gel type lead battery fit for Deep Discharge. Or do you have to charge outside Robomow? In that case the docking feature becomes inoperabele, which is a big disadvantage IMHO.
      >
      > If you can not fit in 40Ah, why not 30Ah? Can you explain about "but the math says no"? - reminds me of Little Britain! What will be your typical charging time? From what I saw on RC cars and airplanes in the order of 10 minutes? That would somewhat do away the docking station issue, I think.
      >
      > Last but not least the cost an how long are they projected to last?
      > Where did you buy them?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Frans the Stationmaster
      >

      > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ha just got in some 20AH LiFePO4 cells to build a battery...
      > > this should be fun.
      > >
      > > I need to design and build a decent BMS. This is no small task...
      > > there's a lot of crappy BMS's out there, I wanna do one properly.
      > >
      > > Wow, there actually is a lot of extra volume here in the pack! Well, no
      > > shortage of room for a BMS. I did look to see if I'd be able to double
      > > up the cells and make a 40AH pack, but the math says no.
      > >
      > > Danny

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic