16668Re: [RoboMower] Re: Battery disposal

    Feb 6, 2010
      Well, I know there's a slew of state-by-state recycling laws that allow
      or require one of two things:
      A nonrefundable state recycling fee with every battery sold;
      and/or a "deposit" if you buy a battery without turning in an old one.
      I note that I've NOT seen the law require that they return the deposit
      IF you bring back a dead battery. So, as a minimum, IF you have the
      dead battery with you every time you buy a new one, you'll still be out
      one deposit by the end of the deal because you paid one when you bought
      the battery and didn't get it back when you were done buying batts.

      Well, I don't know for sure. I seem to recall if you have a receipt
      showing you just bought a batt and paid the $fee, yes you can get that
      back when you bring back a dead batt. BUT, not without a receipt, and
      here's why: most states don't do it, and two states are up to $10
      without a trade-in. At that rate, I'd take junk batts from a state with
      no deposit and carry them over the state line and demand $10/ea from a
      retailer. In fact, since there's no real legal paperwork, if I worked
      at recycler and Wal-Mart brings in a load of batts, I'd just turn around
      and have my brother take then right back to Wal-Mart the next day, get
      $10/ea, then get the batts back all over.

      It all varies by state:
      http://www.batterycouncil.org/LeadAcidBatteries/BatteryRecycling/StateRecyclingLaws/tabid/120/Default.aspx

      Here in Texas, I've seen that Fry's charged a state batt fee even for
      little 7AH SLAs for alarm systems. They're like $7 batts, plus a $3
      fee. But looking at this website, it says that's not the law. This
      site says all SLA are exempt (which affects us!) and they're not
      supposed to charge this fee. Plus those at Fry's were less than 10AH-
      they're not supposed to be charging it.

      Danny