15457RE: [RoboMower] Re: What happened to this group?

    Nov 10, 2008
      I've had success with "walls" of 12 to 18 inches separation so long as it is
      driven by the same perimeter switch or dock. You do need to "ramp" the
      clearance together (don't expect to turn 90 degree corners into a tight
      clearance). Make the turn when 2 or 3 feet away, then allow the wires to
      come together over 4 or 5 feet length. Also, don't expect a mower to make a
      180 degree turn at the end of a "wall". I take my "walls" to trees and let
      the mower turn around the tree.

      Separation of 18" is more reliable than 12" (you can sometimes get overshoot
      if the wall is too narrow). You'll probably have a narrow "stripe" of
      unmowed grass with the wires 18" apart. Note that if the wires are too
      close together, even if the mower crosses the wall it will still be "inside"
      the zone just in another area.

      That's not Friendly Robotics science; it's just from my tinkering. YMMV,
      etc, etc.

      Dan

      _____

      From: Dan Barclay <Dan@BarclaySoftware <mailto:Dan%40BarclaySoftware.com>
      .com>
      To: RoboMower@yahoogrou <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
      Date: Monday, November 10, 2008, 11:19 AM

      A couple of things:

      First, one continuous wire would have 4 "areas" but they'd be on one "zone"
      (one perimeter switch or dock). I used to call those separate areas zones
      as well, but it's confusing when you start including real zones in the
      discussion. They are different areas that get mowed from different entry
      points.

      I also have areas with wires that double back on each other. I call those
      "walls" . I haven't had trouble with the mower getting too confused on
      those, though the mower "pushes back" a little when going around the
      perimeter.

      The tests I did with adjacent zones were completely separate zones, with
      their own perimeter switch. If you put those close together you can get
      some downright weird behavior<g>. I've repeatedly had a mower that was
      going around a perimeter turn around and start going the opposite way
      around, but only if the mower was capable of getting to the second wire.
      I've got a couple of places that have zones close together but have a fence
      between. Since the mower can't actually get to the other wire it doesn't
      seem to get out of whack, though it might bump the fence trying.

      In short, I don't have any areas that are 5 to 7 feet unmowed. If you did
      have that situation then go ahead and put the wires close together but just
      be certain you don't turn them on at the same time. As an aside, it would
      be nice if FR had a way to enforce this (set up docks so that more than one
      perimeter would not turn on at the same time).

      Dan

      From: Leszek Skulski <leszek68@yahoo. com <mailto:leszek68% 40yahoo.com> >
      To: RoboMower@yahoogrou ps.com <mailto:RoboMower% 40yahoogroups. com>
      Date: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 10:26 PM

      I do have 3 zones, but I have read all of the cautions about the proximity
      of the zones. I read that they should be 5 feet apart. I am always one to
      go the "extra mile" so I measured them out to be 7 feet apart. Anyone think
      I might have to go further than 7 feet?

      Date: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 7:39 PM

      Hi Tom,

      Do you have more than one zone set up? If so, do they come close to each

      other (within 5 or 6 feet)?

      That's one thing that can cause a mower to get confused about the perimeter,

      and I've duplicated that with my own tests. Be sure adjacent zones are

      turned off as FR specifies. They're not kidding about that.

      Since adjacent zones can cause this problem, other electrical interference

      may do it as well. I have not experience with other electrical noise doing

      that, but it's something you might want to consider.

      Dan

      _____

      From: Christopher Zach <cz@... <mailto:cz%40alembic.crystel>

      To: RoboMower@yahoogrou <mailto:RoboMower% 40yahoogroups. com> ps.com

      Date: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 4:32 PM

      Leszek Skulski wrote:

      > As far asd your comment of mowers not workign perfectly, I had two

      Robomowers fail in one week. My RL800 had the keypad go bad out of the blue.

      A $120 fix I wish did not happen, but could be worse. My RL1000 on the other

      hand had a much more severe malfunction. It drove out of the perimeter wire

      a good 30 feet or so. Normally that would probably not be a bd thing, but

      the last 10 feet of that journey was the competition ski lake behind my

      home. Needless to say, it's 100% dead, but I am happy to say that Robomower

      is standing behind their product and promised to replace it. Steve at

      Probotics in PA where I purchased my RL1000 was nice enough to help me with

      all this and is taking care of my replacement as I post. There still is not

      a real good explanation for what happened though, hence the replacement as

      this is just not supposed to happen. I have since mowed the same area with

      my repaired RL800 and no problems, so I hope this is a one

      > in a billion glitch. Anyone else ever had an RL1000 go rogue?

      Neat! So it actually got 10 feet into the lake before it died? I'm

      impressed; must be the rain-proofing.

      I'm not sure if the Robomower boards are conformal coated or not; if so

      taking it totally apart and washing it in isopropyl alcohol should get

      it running; I once had an electric car controller that sat for a month

      in antifreeze/water that came back after being soaked in alcohol, then

      again and again then dried in a 120 degree oven. However if it went

      rolling out of the field something is massively wrong.

      Fixing the controller switches is not hard if one knows how to solder:

      Radio shack sells the micro-switches and I was able to remove the old

      ones and put new ones on with a 15 watt iron. Just use really thin solder.

      Chris