13313Re: Which brand and type of batteries are used in the current RL1000 models

  • doodieb2001
    Jul 31, 2007
      I measured all the voltages, 11.1 and 11.0V when the mower goes back
      to the dock, 13.1 and 13.2V after the docking station is done
      charging. I suspect that the charging algorithm is not very good for
      SLA type batteries (it uses a constant charging current of about 1A
      and a voltage limit of 28V). In my mind the batteries don't get
      charged well under these conditions (manufacturers recommend way
      higher charing currents and constant voltage chargers). In addition
      the charging is interrupted if the FET is getting hotter than 125°C,
      which happens frequently. It will restart the charging when the
      temperature gets below 110°C. Manufacturers recommend to charge the
      battery w/o interruptions until it is full.

      ALso: The battery pack gets too hot during charge due to sun exposure
      of the mower and the vibration of the mower are not good for SLA
      batteries either.

      Just my 2c, I will buy a original replacement pack since they give
      you a 1 yr warranty.

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Zach <cz@...> wrote:

      > I'm really curious as to all these battery problems. Partially
      because
      > my 500 Robomower is using packs that are several years old and
      still
      > gets >2 hours per charge.
      >
      > Has anyone hooked a meter to one of these packs and watched it when
      the
      > mower poops out? What happens to the voltage on each battery? Is
      one
      > sagging low under load? Do they both sag? Is one reading 10 volts
      with
      > the other reading 12?
      >
      > How about on charge? When the mower says "full" are both batteries
      over
      > 14 volts? Do they have a nice 13.0 volts at rest? How about when
      you
      > first start charging? Is one still at 12.8 while the second drops
      > 11.0 right out of the gate?
      >
      > Something here doesn't make sense.
      >
      > Chris

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic