11767Distance of Perimeter wire from fence

  • Trent Eyler
    Apr 2, 2007
      Howdy, Y'all!

      I have had my Robomowers (a 500 and an 800) for several years and
      they are very happy mowing my two zones in the front yard (on the
      original batteries, kept plugged in all winter long - in Tulsa).

      We've had some discussions about the distance between the perimeter
      wire and obstacles, like a fence. My recollection is that the
      recommended distance is 18". The purpose is to allow the Robomower
      to edge the perimeter before mowing the interior.

      In my back yard, I have wooden fences on three sides and a house
      on most of the rest. This means I will always have to weedwack along
      the fence, although not necessarily every time Robo mows.

      I am considering a possible better way:

      Totally abandon edge mode in the back yard. That way, I could put
      the perimeter wire about 6-10 inches from the fence and hope to have
      less weedwacking to do afterwards.

      I have several questions:

      Could I run into a problem with bumper sensor failure
      from hitting the fence every pass?

      What distance should I put the wire from the fence to
      let the wire sensor turn it instead of bumping the fence?

      Has anyone tried this method of mowing for a back yard?

      Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Trent
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic