BLESS YOUR SPIRIT - May 13, 2002

  • newhopefriendship
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13 3:52 PM
      BLESS YOUR SPIRIT!

      It is our prayer here at New Hope Friendship that God is blessing
      you, your family and your congregation! What an exciting time it is
      in the life of our congregation and we seek to minister to this
      generation!

      Of course we want to thank God for our senior pastor, Pastor Robt.
      E. Houston, Sr. On Wednesday, May 1, 2002, it marked SEVEN YEARS
      that Pastor has served as our leader. On April 30, 2002, it marked
      TWENTY-FOUR YEARS that Pastor Houston has been proclaiming the good
      news of the gospel of Jesus Christ. On Thursday, May 16, 2002, our
      Pastor will celebrate his FORTY-SECOND Birthday!! For those who
      wish to offer Birthday congratulations or be a blessing to our
      Pastor, we are setting up a special Pastor's Birthday page on our
      website this week. (www.newhopefriendship.org).

      CHAPTER ONE - MOTHER'S DAY

      We want to extend a belated MOTHER'S DAY greetings to all mothers!
      God blessed us tremendously at our Mother's Day Worship Services on
      Sunday, May 12th at our 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. services. The Lord gave
      our senior pastor a very special word and our Deacons Ministry gave
      each woman a very special gift. God be praised for one new disciple
      uniting with our congregation!

      CHAPTER TWO - NEW HOPE BAPTIST CHURCH OF PORTLAND 50TH ANNIVERSARY

      New Hope Missionary Baptist Church of Portland, Oregon celebrates
      their 50th Anniversary, May 18-26, 2002 with an array of special
      services. Rev. Robert C. Jointer is the pastor.

      New Hope begins the celebration with a gala Reunion Musical. The
      church is known throughout the Northwest for its legacy in gospel
      music. The Musical will be on Saturday, May 18th at 6:00 p.m. and
      will feature a national Reunion Concert Choir under the direction of
      Dorothy Lee Davis and Darlene Warren.

      Preaching throughout the week will be former pastors and "sons of
      the house."

      Sunday, May 19th - 10:40 a.m. - Pastor Anthony B. Harris, Sr., Bible
      Fellowship Community Church, Sacramento, California

      Sunday, May 19th - 3:00 p.m. - Pastor Robt. E. Houston, Sr., New
      Hope Friendship Baptist Church, San Diego, California

      Monday, May 20th - 7:00 p.m. - Rev. Walter M. Brown, Jr., Northeast
      Community Fellowship, Portland, Oregon

      Tuesday, May 21st - 7:00 p.m. - Pastor Johnny Pack, IV, Fellowship
      Baptist Church, Portland, Oregon

      Wednesday, May 22nd - 7:00 p.m. - Moderator Raymon H. Edwards, Sr.,
      True Vine Baptist Church, Portland, Oregon

      Thursday, May 23rd - Sunday, May 23rd - Pastor A.B. Devers, I, West
      End Baptist Church, San Antonio, Texas

      CHAPTER THREE - UPCOMING EVENTS

      The 83rd Annual Session of the Progressive Baptist District
      Association, Dr. C.E. Gaines, Moderator, will convene at the Mount
      Zion Missionary Baptist Church, Dr. J. Linzie Whitmill, host pastor,
      May 13-17, 2002. This year's theme will be: "A Fellowship of
      Confidence" based on Philippians 1:5-6. Pastor W. James Smith of
      Calvary Baptist Church will teach each morning. Pastor Ronald Cobbs
      will lecture each morning on "The Glorious Church." The Musical will
      be on Monday evening and feature the Progressive District Mass Choir
      and the Martin Luther King Jr. Community Choir. Pastor Edmond
      Perkins, Jr. will introduce the Theme on Monday morning. Preaching
      throughout the week are: 2001 Annual Session Host - Pastor Charles
      E. Price (Monday morning), Pastor LeRoy West (Tuesday morning),
      Pastor Thomas W. Davis (Tuesday evening), Pastor Thomas L. Smith
      (Wednesday morning), Pastor G.A. Williams (Wednesday evening),
      Moderator W.R. Charles of the Southwest District (Thursday
      morning). Moderator C.E. Gaines will bring his 7th Annual Message
      on Thursday evening at 7:30 p.m.

      Good News Baptist Church of San Diego will celebrate their Sunday
      School Annual Day on Sunday, May 18th at 3:30 p.m. Rev. Floyd
      Brown, Jr. is the pastor. The guest speaker is Rev. Alonzo G.
      Brooks, Sr., Minister of Discipleship, New Hope Friendship Baptist
      Church. The Junior Choir under the direction of Mildred Lee Bell
      will be ministering in music.

      New Hope Friendship will celebrate Women's Day Weekend, May 25-26.
      The annual Prayer Breakfast will be Saturday morning. The speaker
      will be First Lady Donna Ringgold of the Bethel Baptist Church where
      her husband, Dr. John Ringgold is the senior pastor. The
      layspeakers on Sunday morning will be Amber Marie Easter-Irving (8
      a.m.) and Tommie Davenport (11 a.m.). The closing service is at
      3:30 p.m. The speaker will be Doris Williams of the Greater New
      Mount Carmel Missionary Baptist Church.

      CHAPTER FOUR - CONGRATULATIONS

      We congratulate one of the sons of the New Hope Friendship
      Missionary Baptist Church, Pastor-elect Victor Reynolds, Ph.D. who
      has been duly called as the Sixth Pastor of the Greater St. Stephen
      Missionary Baptist Church in Portland, Oregon.

      Pastor Reynolds has a wealth of experience. He holds a Bachelor of
      Arts in Biblical Studies and Church History from Christian Heritage
      College, El Cajon, CA; Master of Arts in Pastoral Ministry, Trinity
      Seminary, Newburgh, IN; Master of Arts in Organizational Management,
      University of Phoenix, Phoenix, AZ; and will receive the Doctor of
      Philosophy in Organization and Management, Capella University,
      Minneapolis, MN in Winter 2002.

      Pastor Reynolds was called to preach in 1989 and was licensed by the
      Faith Community Baptist Church of Vista, California. He was ordained
      by Pastor Milton E. Chambers, Sr. and the New Hope Friendship
      Missionary Baptist Church of San Diego, California in 1993. He
      served as Youth Pastor of Faith Community Baptist Church; Dean of
      Education, Greater Joy Baptist Church, San Diego, California;
      Associate Minister/Teaching Staff, New Hope Friendship Missionary
      Baptist Church; Church Planter and Pastor, New Covenant Baptist
      Church, San Diego, California; Pastor of Education, St. Paul Baptist
      Church and Pastor, New Jerusalem Baptist Church, both of Portland,
      Oregon.

      Pastor Reynolds pastors the Greater St. Stephen Missionary Baptist
      Church of Portland, Oregon that was organized in 1984 by Pastor A.B.
      Devers, I. The following men have served as pastors of that
      congregation: Pastor A. Bailey; Pastor Robt. E. Houston, Sr.; the
      late Pastor Gary L. Black, I; and Pastor Terrence L. Scott, Sr.

      CHAPTER FIVE - CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR JUNIOR AND YOUTH USHERS

      RICHMOND, CA - Over 1,000 Junior and Youth Ushers of the California
      Missionary Baptist State Convention assembled for the annual Youth
      Ushers Fellowship at the North Richmond Missionary Baptist Church,
      Dr. C.W. Newsome, Pastor.

      New Hope Friendship under the direction of General President Luella
      Pride, Supervisors Kenneth Wright and Glenda Pearley and the coach,
      Kevin Wright, continued the church's tradition of excelling at the
      YUF.

      This year's results:

      CHARLES J. WILLIAMS ORATORICAL COMPETITION
      Third Place - Ciera Holmes, New Hope Friendship

      JUNIOR USHERS MARCHING DRILL COMPETITION
      Certificate - New Hope Friendship

      YOUTH USHERS MARCHING DRILL COMPETITION
      First Place - New Hope Friendship

      YOUTH USHERS FELLOWSHIP ELECTION OF OFFICERS
      2nd Vice President - Stephanie Gaywood, New Hope Friendship

      CHAPTER SIX - UPCOMING CONFERENCES (May - August 2002)

      Next Level Church Development Conference - Fresno, California
      Host: Overseer Charles Dickerson, pastor, Pearly Grove Baptist
      Church
      May 22-24, 2002 For more information: www.newhopefriendship.org or
      pearlygrovebc@...

      Hampton University Ministers Conference and Choir Directors and
      Organists' Guild Workshop - Hampton, VA
      Host: Pastor Walter Scott Thomas, president, Ministers Conference
      June 3-7, 2002 For more information:
      http://huminconf.tripod.com/2002main.htm

      International Conference on Expository Preaching - Dallas, Texas
      Host: Dr. E.K. Bailey, president, E.K. Bailey Ministries, Inc.
      July 8-12, 2002 For more information: www.ekbailey.org

      Gospel Music Workshop of America International Convention - Detroit,
      Michigan
      Host: Bishop A.L. Hobbs, president, GMWA
      August 12-16, 2002 For more information: www.gmwa.org

      CHAPTER SEVEN - NMBCA BOARD MEETING

      LOS ANGELES - The National Missionary Baptist Convention of America
      will be in its Summer Board Meeting session in Phoenix, Arizona on
      Tuesday, June 11, 2002 at 9:30 a.m.

      The session will be hosted by the Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church of
      Phoenix, Arizona, pastored by Pastor Alexis A. Thomas, who has
      shepherded the congregation for the past 16 since the age of 16.
      They recently completed a $4.0 million dollar edifice.

      The Summer Board Meeting of the Convention will be led by Dr. W.T.
      Snead, Sr., President. Dr. M.V. Wade, Sr. is the General Secretary.
      It will be during this session of the NMBCA that candidates will
      announce their intention to seek the presidency of the Convention
      during the September Convention in Chicago, Illinois.

      Dr. Joel Gregory, one of America's most outstanding preachers and
      theologians, will be the special guest speaker at the NMBCA Board
      Meeting. Dr. Gregory is a well-respected author and is the former
      pastor of the First Baptist Church, Dallas, TX. He will be the
      Keynote Speaker at approximately 11:30 a.m. This marks the first
      time that Dr. Gregory has preached before the NMBCA.

      Delegates from throughout the United States are expected to fill the
      sanctuary of Pilgrim Rest. The Board Meeting is being held during
      the National Baptist Sunday Church School and Baptist Training Union
      Congress sponsored by R.H. Boyd Publishing Corporation, Dr. T.B.
      Boyd, III, President/CEO. Dr. Bernard Black, president of the
      Missionary General Baptist State Convention of Arizona is the
      Congress Host.

      CHAPTER EIGHT - PASTOR HOUSTON'S SCHEDULE (May - July)

      May 19, 2002 - 3:00 p.m.
      50th Church Anniversary - New Hope Missionary Baptist Church,
      Portland, OR - Pastor Robert C. Jointer, Sr.

      May 28-31, 2002 - 7:00 p.m. Nightly
      Revival - Beulah Baptist Church, Washington, D.C. - Pastor M.E.
      Turner, Sr.

      June 8-9, 2002 - Saturday Men's Breakfast & All Three Services on
      Sunday Morning
      Pastor's Anniversary - Good Hope Baptist Church, Houston, TX -
      Pastor D.Z. Cofield

      June 20-21, 2002 - 7:00 p.m. Nightly
      Revival - Carey Hill Missionary Baptist Church, North Augusta, SC -
      Pastor Clifford Williams

      July 7, 2002 - 5:00 p.m.
      Fellowship Service - Greater Trinity Baptist Church, San Diego, CA -
      Pastor C.E. Gaines

      July 14, 2002 - 3:30 p.m.
      Choir Annual Day - New Corinthians Baptist Church, San Diego, CA -
      Pastor LaSalle Jones

      July 21, 2002 - 3:30 p.m.
      Choir Annual Day - Second Baptist Church, Oceanside, CA - Pastor
      Charles E. Price

      CHAPTER NINE - HOMEGOING OF THE SAINTS

      There have been so many leading pastors and preachers that have gone
      home to be with the Lord as of late. Let us continue to keep these
      families, churches and ministries in our prayers:

      PASTOR J.D. PERRY

      Elder Jewell D. (J.D.) Perry, 66, answered the call from God to come
      home on March 26, 2002. Elder Perry, a resident of Fresno,
      California pastored the Powerhouse Church of God in Christ for over
      22 years.

      He is survived by his devoted wife of 36 years, Missionary Harlene
      Perry; 10 children; 35 grandchildren and 4 brothers.

      Memorial serivces were held at Powerhouse Church of God in Christ.
      Funeral services were held at the Peoples Church and burial was at
      Cherokee Memorial Park, Lodi, California.

      PASTOR ODELL JONES

      DETROIT -- The Rev. Odell Jones counted among his friends former
      President Bill Clinton, whom he counseled during his most turbulent
      times in the White House, and former Michigan Gov. James J.
      Blanchard, who said he was "enormously helpful in getting me elected
      governor." The Detroit preacher was sharing a prayer breakfast
      with Clinton in 1998 when the president revealed he had sinned with
      White House intern Monica Lewinsky. The Rev. Jones responded by
      convincing the other ministers with them at the White House to
      forgive the president on the spot. "(Clinton) looked at me and
      said, 'Now, that's 25 years of friendship,' " the Rev. Jones said in
      a 1998 interview with The Detroit News. "If he didn't get
      forgiveness ... I don't think he would want to be president."

      The Rev. Jones, pastor of Pleasant Grove Missionary Baptist Church
      in Detroit for 37 years, died of complications from diabetes on
      Friday, April 26, 2002, in St. John Hospital in Detroit. He was 69.
      Blanchard said the Rev. Jones was a powerful man who used his
      influence wisely. "When I had to turn to someone to introduce Gov.
      Bill Clinton to Detroit as our future president, (the Rev. Jones)
      was the go-to guy to get things done," Blanchard said. "He was a
      loyal, honorable and remarkable person who was one of my favorite
      people for 20 years." Blanchard said the Rev. Jones was passionate
      about making the world a better place. "In my eyes, he was a saint,"
      Blanchard said. "He always treated people with dignity and respect
      and possessed a passion to create a better world.
      "I viewed him as more than a leading clergyman or a political ally.
      He made for a wonderful friend."

      His friendship with Clinton "was a natural bond," said the Rev.
      Jones' daughter, Yvette Shannon Jones. "He was always drawn to good-
      ol' down-home people, especially if they were from Arkansas." The
      Rev. Jones was born in Arkansas, where Clinton also was born and
      served as governor. He earned his bachelor's degree in sociology
      from Arkansas Baptist College in Little Rock and later became
      chairman of the college's board of trustees. He earned his master's
      degree in religious studies from Virginia Union University in
      Richmond and his doctorate of ministry from Drew University in
      Madison, N.J.

      The Rev. Jones, who served in the Air Force, was ordained in 1956
      and moved to Detroit in 1965 to lead Pleasant Grove, a position he
      held until his death. His sermons often incorporated his children's
      travails and the tales of Frank the mule, which he worked as a youth
      on the family farm in Arkansas. He was a staunch Democrat who loved
      politics. He was honored by a state Senate resolution in 1979 for
      his community service to Detroit, where he was a longtime activist
      for people in need. "He always believed Democrats served the people
      and Republicans only looked after their own money," his daughter
      said. Survivors include his wife, Martha, and his two daughters,
      Alletha Jones and Yvette Shannon Jones.

      PASTOR ROBERT H. ROBERTS

      Pastor Robert H. Roberts was born October 13, 1921 in Flint Hill, VA
      to James and Lizzie Roberts, the eighth of eighteen children. He
      accepted Christ as Lord at the Success Baptist Church, Success, VA.
      In 1937 he married Dorothy Davenport and this union was blessed with
      three sons. In 1948 his family moved to Santa Barbara, CA where he
      started the Roberts General Construction Company and organized the
      Universal Prayer Tower of San Barbara. In 1998 he united with the
      Sowing Seeds for Jesus Christian Ministry Church, where his son is
      the pastor and served as Prayer Leader and Chairman of the
      Trustees.

      BISHOP U.V. PETERSON

      Homegoing Celebrations were held Monday, May 6, 2002, at Ark of
      Safety Church of God in Christ and Tuesday, May 7, 2002, in
      Maranatha Church of God for Bishop U.V. Peterson, who died April 30
      at age 76. Bishop Peterson was born Aug. 7, 1925, in Houston.
      During World War II, he served in the Army. He moved in 1966 to
      Portland, Oregon and organized the Ark of Safety Church. In 1965, he
      married Flora Yager. Survivors include his wife; daughters, Martha
      Wiles, Gail Woods, Yolanda Peterson, Vicki Hudson and Cythia Moore;
      sons, Spencer, Michael, Reginald, Aaron and Byron; stepsons, John
      Grant, Michael Grant, and Avery Grant; 37 grandchildren; and 32
      great-grandchildren. His son Raphael died in the
      early 1990s and his son Myron in about 1998.

      PASTOR RON C. CARTER

      Homegoing services were held on Saturday, April 27, 2002 at the
      Fairview Baptist Chruch, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, for Pastor Ron C.
      Carter, pastor of the Mount Bethel Baptist Church in Langston,
      Oklahoma. He was killed in an automobile accident on April 20, 2002
      on the way home from Stillwater, Oklahoma. Pastor Carter was a
      native of Oklahoma City and accepted his call to preach at the
      Fairview Baptist Church, under the leadership of Rev. J.A. Reed,
      Jr.

      Pastor Carter was 39 years of age and was also attending Langston
      University pursuing an undergraduate degree. He had attended Bishop
      College, Dallas, Texas. He was highly sought after for Revivals and
      well loved by the students at Langston University.