SWAMI VEDA: SHAKAMBARI DEVI (PART 1 OF 8)

  • zavrel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2005
      Friends,

      FINALLY, we are starting again with our installments of Swami Veda's
      unique and fascinating lectures.

      In view of the present and future upheavals in Nature around us,
      these thoughts will challenge us to think about mankind's place on this
      Earth, our actions and our responsibilities and the consequence of
      our actions and inactions...

      John Zavrel
      http://www.meaus.com
      http://www.meaus.com/friends-of-gurukulam.htm

      ******

      Shakambhari Devi,
      the Bearer of the Green
      by
      Swami Veda Bharati

      1. This is to continue the magazine that I have been preparing for
      you from time to time. The first part of this magazine cassette is a
      composition I wrote recently in Sanskrit.

      Now, as I have said earlier, languages are jealous and not really
      translatable. Nor can I convey to you the diction or the power of the
      words. (Part of the original is spoken.)

      Now I will give you the narrative. Nothing very profound this time,
      I'm afraid.

      This requires some explanations beforehand about some allusions.

      For example, the tradition has it that the Vedas, the ancient
      scriptures are nothing but the breath of God.

      God breathed into the souls of this first manasa putras, his mental
      offspring, the rshis, the first prophetic sages who were born jivan
      mukta, born liberated, living liberated, therefore abandoning the
      bodies liberated.

      And we are all offspring of them.

      That all words are offspring of the archetypal word.

      All languages are children of the words revealed by God as His
      breath into the highly-realized souls.

      There is a vast linguistic theory of Sanskrit language and its
      tradition of philosophy into which I cannot go at this time.

      I am just giving a few allusions that occur in this composition.

      Let me bring you to another allusion.

      There a word in Sanskrit, gau, from the verb-root gam 'to go.'

      The English word go is related this word gam. The word is go.
      It is a noun is Sanskrit. Its nominative singular form is gau, which
      means 'the earth'. It also means 'cow'.

      The English word cow is also derived from the Sanskrit word gau.

      From the same word comes the modern Hindi word gaia, which is more or
      less the same as Gaia, from the Greek, that has become the key word in
      the ecology movement.

      From the same gau comes geo, the Greek geo, [from which we get the
      word geometry] 'measuring the earth'.

      So that this idea of "constant movement of the earth, nothing static,"
      "as a single organism," "ever-milk-giving cow," "the sacred earth" is
      all related, all connected.

      Take all these words and see their meaning as a single unitary whole.