"ON SILENCE", #13 (FINAL) by Swami Veda

  • zavrel
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4 5:23 AM
      Dear Friends,

      finally, the last installment of the current series. I hope you have
      found Swamiji's thoughts and words helpful and inspiring.

      This talk was given at last year's Continuing Studies/Teacher
      Training in the Minneapolis area. For serious students, this is the
      best place to study with Swamiji during his stay in USA.

      For information on this year's CONTINUING STUDIES/TTP program
      schedule, information and registration contacts, please visit

      http://www.meaus.com/2004-ttp.htm

      Next week we will start a new series.

      In service,
      John Zavrel
      zavrel@...
      http://www.meaus.com/friends-of-gurukulam.htm

      ###################################

      What I do when I am sitting and talking with someone:

      First of all when someone walks in I say, "Hum, you're very
      upset, angry, frustrated, troubled, all right."

      I make sure to calm him.

      My professional instrument is something always by my side and that is
      a box of tissues.

      People have no one to cry to, so I make sure within five minutes of
      coming, sitting with me, they cry.

      Because they feel the love, they feel the compassion they've
      never had before, they start crying.

      So there is my box of tissues. Here . . . I wipe their tears with my
      own hand, somewhere in my course on Counselor and Therapist Training
      Program I said, "Counselor, do not counsel; console."

      So then I see, talking to someone, sometimes this shadow passes over
      people's faces, as they are communicating.

      I've become a very keen observer of those shadows that pass over
      people's faces.

      If you're dwelling in your interior silence, your mind does not
      create the noise that befogs your vision.

      If you're in interior silence, your mind does not create the
      noises that befog your perceptive vision.

      Most married people have never looked at their wives and their
      husbands, I'm telling you.

      Thirty-five years married, forty years married!

      "Swami, we are having a Fiftieth Anniversary of our wedding!"

      How very nice.

      But they have never learned to look at each other's face and that
      is where all the friction comes from.

      That's where all the friction comes from.

      A person comes, I watch the shadow passing over the face, and I
      normally always have a yes response to whatever I'm saying.

      When I see a shadow, and I see the person is, in the mind, resisting
      a bit, you want to say no.

      What do I do? I check.

      I scan my last sentence.

      Where did I fail?

      What was my tone?

      What was the emotional feeling in my mind, at that time? And I change
      it.

      Then the negative shadow disappears. The person goes away happy.

      You can do that with your boss.

      You can do that with your employee.

      You can do that with your manager.

      You can do that with everywhere.

      Be a person who has learned to call evoke a "yes" response.

      You know, in the lectures of mine, I keep saying the same thing,
      because people don't learn.

      They hear.

      "Yah, what a nice lecture."

      What good is a nice lecture?

      If it didn't help you, if you didn't help yourself to it, no ...