STEADINESS & STABILITY (# 33-35), by Swami Veda

  • zavrel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2003
      STEADINESS & STABILITY (# 33-35), by Swami Veda

      You master the states of wakefulness, dream and sleep.

      In wakefulness you increase or decrease the volume and the area of
      your awareness, according to your free will, that you become aware of
      things happening around you.

      Your observation becomes keen.

      Let me give you this one secret: The more you withdraw your mind from
      your senses, the more your senses become acute — not become dumb,
      because they become infused by that energy which, because of your
      stillness, you are no longer wasting in random movements, random
      indulgences, random experimentations.

      The more you withdraw your mind from your eyes, the more your eyes
      become keen and acute.

      And now, just as you learned to withdraw, so also you have learned to
      infuse that extra-conscious energy into the eyes, when with your
      volition you choose to look.

      You notice more things that others do not notice.

      A good administrator can use that power, that phenomenon, or whoever.

      That is what is meant by mastering the state of wakefulness, using
      whatever volume of intensity you find effective in the application of
      the power of your senses.

      How much you want to sense with your eyes, with your ears, with your
      nostrils, with your tongue, with your tactile sense, is in the hands
      of your mind, so that you do not experience through the senses

      At present, all your sensing is accidental and passive.

      The light happens to fall on the eyes, so you happen to see.

      The sound just happens to enter your ear, so you just happen to hear.

      You do not see consciously, hear consciously.

      You do not taste consciously.

      You do not touch consciously.

      You do not smell consciously because you have not learned to withdraw
      your senses, so that your senses are not keen, are not acute.

      The same applies to the application of conscious mind.

      I remember, once in California, which is an earthquake-prone area, I
      was leading a long relaxation to a group of 20-30 students in the
      yoga room of Mark Jacob, who was running a center at that time.

      An earthquake hit. Nobody moved.

      I continued with my guidance, and they continued to receive it.

      Not a twitch!

      Then I would say that the group has made spiritual progress.

      Every little twitch in your wife's or your husband's cheeks makes you
      feel like an earthquake has struck!

      We experience, ordinarily, only two states of mind: kshiptum and

      Both of them are simultaneous.

      Kshiptum: "totally distracted."

      This thought now, that sensation then, another emotion, another
      something, attraction, distraction, aversion, moment-to-moment goes

      These random movements of the mind do not let the mind be alert.

      So while a small part of the mind remains thus distracted and
      agitated, the remaining vast area of the mind remains in a state of
      mudham: "stupor."

      Unaware, not awake, comatose — we're all in a coma! [Smiles]

      That's why we do not perceive; that's why we do not understand, do
      not understand from where the other party is speaking, do not
      understand what is the cause of that person's anger, do not understand
      what pain and anguish has caused someone to make a very negative and
      unfair remark about you.

      Conquest of wakefulness — before you start going into analyzing
      the spiritual visions granted you in the dream state — if they be so