A poem by Swami Swami Rama of the Himalayas

  • zavrel
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2003
      VIOLENCE

      When for a moment I cast aside all rationalism

      and transport myself into the clear mountain air

      on the solitary rock,

      I spontaneously go into silence.

      Solitude keeps me alive in a society

      that knows no laws of love and harmony.

      Violence, violence, violence

      everywhere.

      I do not understand the law

      that prompts mortal beings to injure each other.

      How do they forget that all creatures are breathing

      one and the same breath?

      Why are they ungrateful and why do they forget

      that all breathing beings

      are the children of one Father

      who is giving the life breath to all equally?

      >From where arises this violence?

      Which is that power that instigates them

      to annihilate each other's existence?

      I return to my silence

      without any reply

      and with a simple conclusion

      that human beings have not yet really found out

      the art of living harmoniously.

      The evil that forces one to commit such heinous crimes

      is because of himsa, the absence of love,

      consideration, kindness, and awareness

      that we all belong to One.

      By killing others

      we are cutting the roots of the same tree

      whose limbs we are.

      From the book "Sadhana: The Essence of Spiritual Life", by Swami
      Rama,
      an HIHT publication.