SELF, #20 by Swami Veda

  • zavrel
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2002
      Prince Siddhartha in the 6th Century B.C. abandoned his father's
      palaces and went out searching, went out searching.

      Was he crazy?

      Finally after a long search, one day he said, "I shall sit under this
      tree. And I shall sit in meditation, and I shall sit absolutely
      motionless until I have found the meaning of the cause of pain and
      the meaning of freedom."

      And he sat for forty-nine days and forty-nine nights, absolutely
      still.

      Forty-nine days and forty-nine nights he sat absolutely still until
      the awakening came to him.

      And after many years of preaching thereafter with a band of his
      followers and monks, he returns to his father's kingdom, and begs in
      the streets as a monk should for his alms.

      First the word went into the palaces: "Your son is coming back, he's
      going to enter the city tomorrow."

      The king sends out a reception and decorates the city and all the
      streets are sprinkled with water and all the homes are whitewashed.

      Then the next morning the message goes into the palaces: "Your son
      begs on the streets of your kingdom. Your son begs on the streets of
      your kingdom."

      The father sends a message: "What shame do you bring on me, your
      father, a powerful king? Do you not know that you are born of this
      lineage of great kings, that you demean yourself thus? Those who
      would be your subjects have to fill your begging bowl? Why do you not
      recognize your royal lineage and inheritance?"

      Siddhartha is no longer the prince, but a Buddha, the enlightened
      one.

      He says to his father, "Father, Prince Siddhartha was of the lineage
      of the kings. I am of the lineage of the enlightened ones, who own
      nothing and to whom all these kingdoms mean nothing. I am of that
      lineage. And the only possessions the people of that great lineage
      carry are a begging bowl, for they have no use for all of these
      palaces and for all of this wealth and for all of this power. I am
      being true to my lineage."

      From where does the power of a man with a begging bowl come that
      he can speak thus to his father, the king?

      What is the source of that strength?

      We live today in a success-oriented society.

      But that man did not have to work hard to be a successful king.

      Why would he abandon that?

      Or a Christ, to whom all the kingdoms of the world are offered, why
      would he not take them? What for?

      This talk is available on cassette and now CD! The CD is $10.95, the
      cassette is $6.95
      It can be ordered through the Meditation Center at
      info@...

      http://www.MEAus.com