Talks on Bhagavad Gita, Part 29

  • zavrel@meaus.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2001
      Talks on Bhagavad Gita, Part 29
      By Pandit Dabral

      The Bhagavad Gita is a scripture that teaches the art of life. It
      teaches how to become a real human being, how to re-establish law and
      order within ourselves first. We all have a universe in the form of
      individual soul and that universe needs some kind of principle, some
      kind of discipline. If there is not discipline, there will be chaos.
      Now discipline is imposed on us, but if you invoke discipline within,
      then you don't need any imposed discipline from outside. That is what
      yoga is all about.

      Atha yoganushasanam. Now yoga discipline begins. Yoga is not a
      torture, bending your body and not eating this or that and getting up
      early and doing your hatha yoga. It is not torture if you really fall
      in love with it. it is so great, so enjoyable and blissful that you
      cannot even explain it. No money in the world can buy the joy it gives
      you. So the Gita is a scripture of yoga and the definition of yoga in
      Bhagavad Gita is the most profound definition of yoga. It is given by
      the Lord to his student Arjuna.

      Yogah karmasu koshalam. Karmasu means in action. Koshalam means
      skillfulness. Skillfulness in all action is yoga.

      With yoga, I can come to have the skill to perform all my actions in
      a way that I do not get caught by them. I do not create misery and
      pain, they do not affect me. I still remain happy, do not lose my
      temper or get emotional, still keep my frame of mind. It is possible to
      still keep that joy within while I am dealing with the real world,
      performing my duties, my dharma. That is yoga. Yoga means that which
      brings something into balance, a combination of things which are
      balanced, creating a balance in daily life. That is yogaha karmasu
      koshalam. Skillfulness in all action is yoga.

      The essence and entire wisdom was taken from all the scriptures in
      the world and put into the Bhagavad Gita. Krishna is the teacher.
      Arjuna is the student. The analogy is that the entire scripture or
      wisdom and knowledge is put into Gita and it becomes a cow. Lord is a
      milk man. Arjuna becomes a calf, and he is drinking it. Milk is like
      amrita, which means nectar. Amrita means that which makes you immortal.

      In the first chapter, Arjuna is sad and confused. He drops his
      weapons, his bow and arrow. He says, 'I don't need this kingdom, I
      don't need anything, I may as well just beg and live and then die.'
      Many times we have those kind of thoughts. Lord is very quiet, he
      hasn't said a word, he is there.

      Next time:
      The Lord speaks.

      http://www.meaus.com