Talks on the Bhagavad Gita, Part 26

  • zavrel@meaus.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2001
      Talks on the Bhagavad Gita, Part 26
      By Pandit Dabral

      The teachings of the Bhagavad Gita are universal. All the characters
      in the Gita, in every scripture, exist within us. We represent them.
      Once you start seeing that point of view, you will realize that all
      the scriptures exist in all of us. All the teachings exist exactly in
      all of us. It's a matter of being aware. The content of Gita we all
      know within. It's a matter of turning on the switch and its there. That
      is why the Lord himself felt a need to sing a song for us.

      There is a story that if a lion sits there in the middle of the
      forest, and waits for deer to come to him, he will starve. In order
      to have food, he has to make some effort, he has to run after them and
      catch them. We have to make the effort when we are in the middle of
      the battlefield. We all have our battles, our struggles. There is a
      natural need or tendency in every human being to search for that
      peace, happiness or bliss which is everlasting. In the world, we can
      buy so called happiness, which may make you happy for a day or a week,
      then we come back to our own nature and that very happiness does not
      change our nature. It does not change us.

      Happiness comes easily, but it goes with pain. Why? Because it is
      based on objects outside of you, not based on internal objects which
      are within you. If I look outside and think that object is going to
      make me happy, that never will happen. If it does, it will be very
      temporary and will leave with a lot of pain.

      Krishna is that which attracts or pulls us to our final goal of ever
      lasting peace, harmony, joy or bliss. Something tells you - this is
      good for me.

      Arjuna is a qualified student who is searching and has a burning
      desire. At the start, Arjuna is confused; under delusion, attachment,
      confusion. Raga means attachment, and it also means color. Everything
      that comes in front of your eyes colors your mind to some degree.
      Attachment means you have developed some degree of emotional tie to
      that object. That is why you are hurt. If that object is removed or
      something happens to that object it will cause you pain because it
      has colored you.

      Many times when you are in trouble you know exactly what to do but
      mind does not work at that time. It looks like it's shut down. You
      have no mind, no buddhi, no sense of discrimination and you are
      helpless and hopeless at that time. So that is the time you say your
      prayers, your meditation, you invoke that which is within, that
      Krishna. If you have a burning desire, if you have that intensity,
      Krishna will come in front of you and will give you the teaching.

      Next time:

      Understanding the teachings.

      zavrel@...
      http://www.meaus.com