Under Milk Wood

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 9, 2006
      Forgive me if this has already been discussed in this group, which I
      just joined, but does anyone happen to have (either on CD or
      audiocassette or LP) the original 1954 radio broadcast of Dylan
      Thomas's "Under Milk Wood" with Richard Burton? I heard it on my car
      radio late at night a couple years ago and was so transfixed by the
      beauty of the writing, I couldn't get out of my car -- I just had to
      hear the whole thing. I'm not 100% sure that what I heard was the
      1954 version (as opposed to the 1963 radio version with Burton, Anthony
      Hopkins, et al.), but for some reason I have a FEELING it is. I'd be
      happy to pay someone $5-10 just to get a copy of it, even made from an
      old LP set. My e-mail address is: forlino@....

      Paul in West Los Angeles
    • robertjmorgan
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 10, 2006
        Hello Paul, croeso i grwp/ welcome to the group.
        Yes I have the recording you mention. It's the one with Richard Bebb
        as second voice. I have it on audio tape from a company called Argo.
        Although I have found this link on the American Amazon site. Have a
        look.

        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0001035649/sr=8-
        4/qid=1139601931/ref=pd_bbs_4/102-9627682-0276110

        Be sure to include all the string.
        You can ask anythiong you like here about the fantastic Richard Burton
        and please sign our online petition for RB.
        It has been quiet here recently but post a few messages and we'll all
        reply.
        cheers
        Rob
      • Paul
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 12, 2006
          Thanks very much for your reply, Rob. I did see that link in
          amazon. The lowest price from amazon for a used copy currently is
          (including shipping) $15.24, which is not too bad. I might get that
          one, fairly soon (unless I can find one at a less expensive cost).
          I remember the acting was so fine, in that broadcast. I'll take a
          look at your petition within a couple days but I'm just rushed right
          now; I think I found the link to the petition, on the home page.

          Regards,

          Paul Miller (West Los Angeles) (forlino@...)

          --- In RichardBurton@yahoogroups.com, robertjmorgan <no_reply@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello Paul, croeso i grwp/ welcome to the group.
          > Yes I have the recording you mention. It's the one with Richard
          Bebb
          > as second voice. I have it on audio tape from a company called
          Argo.
          > Although I have found this link on the American Amazon site. Have a
          > look.
          >
          > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0001035649/sr=8-
          > 4/qid=1139601931/ref=pd_bbs_4/102-9627682-0276110
          >
          > Be sure to include all the string.
          > You can ask anythiong you like here about the fantastic Richard
          Burton
          > and please sign our online petition for RB.
          > It has been quiet here recently but post a few messages and we'll
          all
          > reply.
          > cheers
          > Rob

        • H Morris
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 12, 2006
            Hi Paul, my local library had a copy of it several years back. When I get the chance, I'll check and see if they still have it.

            Heidi

            Paul <forlino@...> wrote:
            Forgive me if this has already been discussed in this group, which I
            just joined, but does anyone happen to have (either on CD or
            audiocassette or LP) the original 1954 radio broadcast of Dylan
            Thomas's "Under Milk Wood" with Richard Burton? I heard it on my car
            radio late at night a couple years ago and was so transfixed by the
            beauty of the writing, I couldn't get out of my car -- I just had to
            hear the whole thing. I'm not 100% sure that what I heard was the
            1954 version (as opposed to the 1963 radio version with Burton, Anthony
            Hopkins, et al.), but for some reason I have a FEELING it is. I'd be
            happy to pay someone $5-10 just to get a copy of it, even made from an
            old LP set. My e-mail address is: forlino@....

            Paul in West Los Angeles

            Posthumous Oscar for Richard Burton Campaign
            Sign Here!!
            http://www.gopetition.com/online/7553.html

            Actors and actresses Richard burton Wild geese 9;toole Entertainment new york

            ---------------------------------

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 12, 2006
              That's very kind of you, Heidi. What city do you live in? Did you
              mean perhaps that, if you are indeed able to find it and borrow it
              from the library, you could make me a tape copy?? If you do find
              it, could you possibly send me an e-mail at forlino@...?

              Paul

              --- In RichardBurton@yahoogroups.com, H Morris <hehmorris@...> wrote:

              > Hi Paul, my local library had a copy of it several years back.
              When I get the chance, I'll check and see if they still have it.

              > Heidi
              >
              > Paul <forlino@...> wrote:
              > Forgive me if this has already been discussed in this group,
              which I
              > just joined, but does anyone happen to have (either on CD or
              > audiocassette or LP) the original 1954 radio broadcast of Dylan
              > Thomas's "Under Milk Wood" with Richard Burton? I heard it on my
              car
              > radio late at night a couple years ago and was so transfixed by the
              > beauty of the writing, I couldn't get out of my car -- I just had
              > hear the whole thing. I'm not 100% sure that what I heard was the
              > 1954 version (as opposed to the 1963 radio version with Burton,
              Anthony
              > Hopkins, et al.), but for some reason I have a FEELING it is.
              I'd be
              > happy to pay someone $5-10 just to get a copy of it, even made from
              an
              > old LP set. My e-mail address is: forlino@...
              >
              > Paul in West Los Angeles
              >

              > Posthumous Oscar for Richard Burton Campaign
              > Sign Here!!
              > http://www.gopetition.com/online/7553.html

              > Actors and actresses Richard burton Wild geese
              9;toole Entertainment new york

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------

            • H Morris
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 17, 2006
                Yes, I'll look and could perhaps make you a recording. I live in W.V.

                Heidi

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 22, 2006
                  Heidi, I recently obtained a 2-cassette set of Under Milk Wood (1954
                  version). I appreciate your having offered to copy it for me if you
                  found it in the library but I just wanted to let you (and other
                  members) know that I now have it, and I didn't want you to go to the
                  trouble needlessly. Richard Burton is WONDERFUL, by the way, in his
                  sensitive reading of Thomas's touching, poetic, beautiful writing.
                  I think after I'm finished with these tapes I'm going to hear them a
                  second time!

                  My best wishes,

                  Paul

                  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

                  --- In RichardBurton@yahoogroups.com, H Morris <hehmorris@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Paul, my local library had a copy of it several years back.
                  When I get the chance, I'll check and see if they still have it.

                  > Heidi
                  >
                  > Paul <forlino@...> wrote:
                  > Forgive me if this has already been discussed in this group,
                  which I
                  > just joined, but does anyone happen to have (either on CD or
                  > audiocassette or LP) the original 1954 radio broadcast of Dylan
                  > Thomas's "Under Milk Wood" with Richard Burton? I heard it on my
                  car
                  > radio late at night a couple years ago and was so transfixed by the
                  > beauty of the writing, I couldn't get out of my car -- I just had
                  > hear the whole thing. I'm not 100% sure that what I heard was the
                  > 1954 version (as opposed to the 1963 radio version with Burton,
                  Anthony
                  > Hopkins, et al.), but for some reason I have a FEELING it is.
                  I'd be
                  > happy to pay someone $5-10 just to get a copy of it, even made from
                  an
                  > old LP set. My e-mail address is: forlino@...
                  >
                  > Paul in West Los Angeles
                • H Morris
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 1 8:17 AM
                    I'm glad you found it! I did look in the library and didn't see it. Not sure if it was simply checked out, or they no longer had it. Should have asked, but was in a bit of a rush.

                    Heidi