Dick Friend Obituary ... March 2, 2012

  • Bob Friend
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2012

      Rosann, Bob & Dick Friend; Hamilton, Indiana, May 14, 2008

      To see more photos of Dick from my May 2008 visit to his home, go to
      and view pix # 29 ~ 37.

      Thanks to my brother Jim for sending me Cousin Dick Friend's obit.  Dick was my dad's (Jairus Milton Friend) first cousin; Dick's dad (John Henry Friend) and Jairus's dad (Emery Milton Friend) were brothers, both sons of Norris W. Friend of DeKalb County, Indiana.

      Here are some things of interest not mentioned in the obit.:

      For many years Dick, along with wife Rosann, tirelessly drove to the eastern parts of the U.S. doing genealogical research on our Friend family -- searching county records, looking for grave markers, etc., etc.  He was a member of the Friend Family Association of America and, as far as I know, was one of the few members of our N.E. Indiana Friend family (including myself in 1982) to attend one of the organization's national conventions.

      He, along with his brother John, was a survivor of the Battle of the Bulge during W.W. II; he once told me of how a French family, to show their gratitude for the U.S. war effort, hosted them at their home and treated them to a night on the town in Paris (including a visit to the famed Moulin Rouge) at the war's end -- a wonderful story.  For years and years thereafter, he and John would celebrate the anniversary of that night by sharing a bottle of red wine and a baguette.

      I last saw Dick at the Richland Twp. Schools Reunion (he went to West Richland years ago), held in Waterloo IN in 2009.  In May of the previous year I had traveled to his home and scanned a lot of his photos and documents into my computer -- really glad I did this.  Also, we carried on a regular personal correspondence over a number of years, and I would occasionally give him a phone call -- as recently as a few weeks ago.  Last week I sent him a copy of a photo about which I wanted some additional information; he never was able to respond.

      Cousin Dick was quite a character, to say the least, with a wry sense of humor.  His favorite expression was, "I never met a Friend who did not have something to say."  R.I.P., Dick Friend; you will be well remembered for many, many years.

          --Bob

      Robert E. Friend
      512 Greenview Dr.
      Wauconda IL 60084-2555

      PHONE + FAX:  847-487-6535
      CELL:                    708-860-1123
      E-MAIL:
      bobandkerstin@...

      /////////////////////////////

      Richard Friend
      Staff Reports (from KPC News)
      Sunday, March 04, 2012, 12:00am

      HAMILTON - Richard W. Friend, 86 years, of Hamilton, passed away Friday, March 2, 2012, at Parkview Hospital, Fort Wayne, Indiana.

      He was a 1944 graduate of Hamilton High School.

      Richard was employed by Auburn Gear for 43 years.

      Surviving are his wife, Rosann; daughter, Linda Bireley and her companion Kevin Bireley, of Hamilton; two sons, Jim (Anna) Friend of Garrett, Indiana and Tom (Julie) Friend of Pleasant Lake; daughter-in-law, Jackie Friend of Hamilton; ten grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren and one great-great-granddaughter.

      He was preceded in death by his parents; one son, Steve Friend; one brother, John Friend; and two sisters, Iolene Carrick and Myrtle Christlieb.

      Memorial services for Richard W. Friend will be held at 11:30 a.m. Thursday, March 8, 2012 in the Oberlin-Turnbull Funeral Home & Crematory, 3985 East Church Street, Hamilton, with Pastor Edward Harnish officiating.

      Relatives and friends will be received in the funeral beginning at 10:00 a.m. Thursday, until the beginning of his service at 11:30 a.m.

      Those planning an expression of sympathy are asked to consider contributions to the American Heart Association, the American Cancer Society or to the Boy Scouts of America.

      Condolences may be sent to the family or the online guest book may be signed at www.oberlinturnbull.com .