Wava (Schmidt > Brandon) Sebert ... Larry's mom ... d. Aug. 8, 2011

  • Bob Friend
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2011

      Dear Richland Twp. Classmates and Other Friends--

      My brother Jim sent me the obit below.  I took the picture (below) of Wava at the 2007 Waterloo H.S. Alumni Dinner held in Auburn.

      Wava was mother to, among others, Larry Brandon of the famed 1959-'60 Waterloo Wildcats, the only W.H.S. team ever to win a basketball Sectional championship.  I knew Larry; he lived west of us on the gravel road that takes a turn to the south and leads to our old beloved West Richland School, which he and I both attended (in my case just through sixth grade, after which my family moved to Waterloo).

      Larry was a fine young man, someone I always looked up to -- and he is still a great guy (I last saw him in 2005, at that year's Alumni Dinner).

      Wava was one of the nicest people I've ever had the privilege to meet.  She will be missed.

          --Bob Friend, W.H.S. Class of 1965

      Robert E. Friend
      512 Greenview Dr.
      Wauconda IL 60084-2555