Dorothy Werkheiser

  • Bob Friend
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2010
      Dorothy Werkheiser

      Thursday, 18 February 2010

      GARRETT — Dorothy Werkheiser, 78, of Garrett, died Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2010.

      Services are pending at Thomas Funeral Home in Garrett.

      A full obituary will appear in Friday’s edition.

      The above, just received from my brother Jim, is from The Star (Auburn IN).

      Dorothy was the older sister of Harold ("Werkie") Werkheiser.  (A lot of us kids spelled his nickname "Worky" when we were classmates at West Richland School.)

      I recall several things about Dorothy, e.g., she was a longtime educator in Garrett, and she was a member of and Sunday School teacher at the Methodist Church in Corunna, which I attended as a boy along with my mom, dad and brothers.  (That church is now the Corunna Community Church, led by Rev. Richard Pickard -- another West Richland classmate of mine.)

      I had not spoken to or seen Dorothy for close to 50 years -- until last June (2009).  She called me on my cell phone -- I took the call while doing a little bike ride in Auburn with my brother Mark.  It was a couple of days before our Richland Twp. Schools Reunion.  She had seen a blurb about the reunion in The Star.  She said she would not likely make it to the gathering, but that she was glad we, i.e., Janis (Myers) Sproat and I, were able to organize such an event.

      I will make a note to forward the full obit tomorrow.

      R.I.P., Dorothy.

                       --Bob ("Bobby") Friend