Karl Starkey, 91, of Waterloo died Monday, Feb. 8, 2010 ... Mike and Jim's dad

  • Bob Friend
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2010

      Yesterday I received a note from Jim Starkey, W.H.S. Class of 1965, that his dad had passed away on Monday.  Here is a photo I took of Jim and Karl last June at the Waterloo Alumni Dinner:

      I have several connections to Jim and his family.  During our high school years, Jim was a good friend and I probably hung out with him more than any other classmate.  Jim's maternal grandfather, Floyd Rynearson (Karl's father-in-law), lived in Corunna and was our family's landlord when we lived in what Mom called "The Crackerbox," a little house south of Corunna on Rt. 327 right across from Art Fike's gas station, repair shop and junkyard.  In high school, Jim ended up owning Floyd's early '50s black Chevy, in which I rode "shotgun" over many a mile.

      I had either not known or forgotten that Karl was a B.&O. Railroad engineer.  That means he would have reported for work at Garrett -- where I hired on as a fireman after my freshman year at Ball State and was then shipped off to East Chicago to work that summer (1966).

      I did not know Karl well, but in my e-mails back and forth with Jim I recall that, despite his residence in the Elkhart area, Jim regularly traveled back to Waterloo to join brother Mike in taking Karl out to breakfast on weekends.  I wish I could have spent as much time with my own dad is his later years.

      R.I.P., Karl Starkey, and I extend my sincere condolences to the entire extended family.

                          --BOB  FRIEND,  W.H.S. CLASS  OF  '65

       CLICK  THIS  LINK  TO  GET  TO  THE  STAR :   Karl Starkey

      COPIED  FROM  The Star's obit today:

      Wednesday, 10 February 2010

      WATERLOO — Karl Starkey, 91, of Waterloo died Monday, Feb. 8, 2010, at Betz Nursing Home in Auburn.

      He was born in Ohio on Dec. 6, 1918, to Pat and Gladys (Orr) Starkey.

      Karl was an engineer for the B & O and CXS Railroads for 40 years before retiring in 1982.

      He was a U.S. Army WWII veteran and was a member of the Butler American Legion Post 202 and the Waterloo VFW.

      He married Betty Rae Rynearson and she died in 1997.

      He is survived by two sons and daughters-in-law, Mike and Julie Starkey of Auburn and Jim and Connie Starkey of Elkhart; two grandchildren, Jeffery Starkey of Indianapolis and Jennifer Starkey of Harrogate, Tenn.; a nephew, Donn (Connie) Starkey; a niece, Jo Ellen (Mark) Heindselman; great-nephews; Aaron, Tyler and Jason; and great-nieces, Carly and Lindsey.

      He was preceded in death by his parents, his wife and a brother, Bill Starkey.

      Graveside services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday, February 13, 2010, at Waterloo Cemetery, Waterloo, Ind. The Rev David Mathews will officiate and Butler American Legion Post 202 will conduct military graveside honors. There will be no calling.

      Memorials can be directed to Butler American Legion Post 202 or Waterloo VFW c/o their honors detail.

      Feller and Clark Funeral Home of Waterloo is in charge of arrangements.