1947 Indian Chief ... Rutherford's motorcycle looked a lot like this ... 10-14-09

  • Bob Friend
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2009
      My last e-mail mentioned the old Indian motorcycle that sat in the garage of Rutherford Kirkpatrick, our neighbor and landlord, when I was in the 5th and 6th grades at West Richland School and living atop Kirk's Hill in the big brick farmhouse formerly inhabited by his mother, Olivia, who had passed away.  The house's roof was covered with corrugated galvanized steel, and oh what a racket a heavy rain -- or hail! -- made!  There was also a bell at the roof's peak; we were told back then that this was used long ago to call in the field hands for "dinner" (which most of us now call lunch).

      Today I came across these 2005 e-mails (below).  I wonder if Lynn Kirkpatrick (who attended the 6-13-09 reunion in Waterloo) knows what happened to that old motorcycle!

                     --BOB  FRIEND