      Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2012 12:46 AM
      Subject: Karl Sliger

      I had a nice chat with Karl at the West Richland reunion a few years back.  :( sad

      Karl Sliger
      Staff Reports
      Wednesday, October 03, 2012, 12:00am
      Mr. Sliger
      AUBURN — Karl B. Sliger, age 82, of Auburn, died on Monday, October 1, 2012, at Miller’s Merry Manor Nursing Home in Garrett.

      He was born July 18, 1930, in Garrett to the late Karl W. and Clara (Miller) Sliger.

      He attended school at West Richland and graduated from Garrett High School in 1948.

      He married Ilene Balliet on October 21, 1959, in Garrett and she died on October 11, 2003.

      Karl was a farmer when he entered the U.S. Army in 1953 and was a staff sergeant w Co E 130th Inf. Reg. at Ft. Lewis, Wash. He was honorably discharged in 1955. After the service, he hired out with the CSX Railroad and retired as a Conductor in 1989 after 34 years of service.

      He was a member of the Garrett American Legion Post 178, he enjoyed helping at the Garrett Recycling Center and was very active in the community.

      Karl is survived by two brothers, Robert Sliger of Corunna and Kenneth and Reba Sliger of Avilla; one niece; eight nephews; and many cousins and friends.

      He was also preceded in death by a sister-in-law, Jean Sliger.

      The funeral service will be held on Friday, October 5, 2012, at 11 a.m. at Thomas Funeral Home in Garrett with Father Andrew Nazareth and the Rev. John Boyanowski officiating. A military graveside service will follow in Christian Union Cemetery.

      Visitation will be held on Thursday, October 4, 2012, from 2-4 and 6-8 p.m. at Thomas Funeral Home and one hour prior to the service Friday.

      In lieu of flowers, memorials are to The Ilene Sliger Scholarship Fund or DeKalb County Humane Society.

      To send a condolence or sign the online guest book, visit www.thomasfuneralhome.org.