Re: "branded" muskets

  • Patrick O'Kelley
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
      Howdy,

      >Among others, I believe Pat O'Kelley
      > has one of these brands on one of his muskets.

      Yep.

      > I plan to be at Mt. Vernon and at Hope Lodge this year and if anyone
      > wants to avail themselves of this service, I will try to oblige.

      Count me in, again. I may have you do two.
      See you then.

      Patrick O'Kelley
      2nd North Carolina Regiment http://www.2nc.org/
      The Carolina Brigade http://www.carolinabrigade.org/
      Author of "Nothing but Blood and Slaughter" and Francis Marion's
      Orderly book
      Available at http://bluehousetavern.com/
    • thirdnewhampshire
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2007
        I ordered a set of steel stamps duplicating the "NH" markings on
        Charlevilles. These markings are the ones on the left side of the
        breech; these markings can be seen in both Neumann's and Ahearn's
        books. There is a "Battalion" number ("3 B"), then a closed NH, then
        the number abbrivation "No.", then the three digit serial number. I
        have seen photos of about eight so marked Charlevilles and at least
        three actual Charlevilles and all had three digit serial numbers.

        I took rubbings off an actual NH marked musket at the Manchester New
        Hampshire gun show last spring and had a company in the mid-west make
        the stamps. I have not marked either of my repro Charlevilles yet as
        I am still practicing how to do it correctly. I am also concerned
        about the possibility that these markings could be used,
        inadvertantly or intentionally, to decieve someone in the future and
        so am thinking of how I can prevent this.

        Sandy W.
        3NH

        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <warbow67@...> wrote:

        > I believe someone in our group ordered a set of New Hampshire state
        > stamps copied off of a "branded" NH musket, and we now will wait
        and
        > see who the intrepid first person will be to stamp their musket.
        No,
        > I do not know who makes a "U STATES" stamp.
        >
        > Dave H
        > 3NH
        >
        > ---------------------
        >

        > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Neal Hurst <kneelhurst@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Along the same lines....does anyone have a brand for
        > > Muskets?
        > >
        > > Neal
        > > --- avalonf@ wrote:
        > >
        > > > Bill
        > > >
        > > > Branded meant just the same then as it does now.
        > > > Many muskets were
        > > > branded with variations of US, U STATES, UNITED
        > > > STATES, etc. Several of
        > > > George Neumann's excellent books on Rev War weapons
        > > > show several
        > > > variations. Even more can be seen in a book entitled
        > > > "Muskets of the
        > > > Revolution and French and Indian Wars" by Bill
        > > > Ahearn. Knowledgeable
        > > > researchers had in the past debated whether or not
        > > > these dated from the
        > > > AWI or some time afterward, but I believe that now
        > > > most agree that they
        > > > indeed date from the AWI based on more recently
        > > > discovered documentation.
        > > >
        > > > --
        > > > John White
        > > > Avalon Forge
        > > > Baltimore
        > > > "All Manner of Replicas for Living History"
        > > > http://www.avalonforge.com

        > > > century? Were the
        > > > mark burned into the
        > > > arms or was the

        > > > appreciated.

        > > > removed]

        > ______________
        > > Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life, your
        > story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
        > > http://sims.yahoo.com/

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2007
          Yes, Sandy, I didn't want to put words in your mouth, I'd rather have
          you explain it.

          Dave H
          3NH

          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "thirdnewhampshire"