Books on Pensacola and the Caribbean campaigns

  • Justin Boggess
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2 4:54 PM
      Dear List,

      Would someone please be able to recommend some good primary or
      secondary sources/books on the surrender of Pensacola and the
      Caribbean campaigns? I know of the 3rd Waldeck regiment account of
      the surrender at Pensacola but that is all I am familiar with.

      Thank you!

      YMHOS,
      Justin Boggess
      Duncan's Coy
      Kings Royal Yorkers
      http://royalyorkers.ca/
    • bobjinpa@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2 5:21 PM
        N. Orwin (I think that's the name) The Battle of Pensacola, maybe the most complete account.
        Biorgraphies of Galvez that I have read have good accounts. Cannot remember the authors' names, the my notes and books are upstairs and it is too hot to go looking for them.
        Florida Historical Quarterly have a couple of volumes that cover the battle.
        Any of the above would direct you to primary sources in their bibliographies.
        If I do not see any other emails on the subject, I will try to remember to look up the info tomorrow morning.
        Bob Johnson
        York PA

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2 5:52 PM
          Hi,
          "The Siege of Pensacola, 1781, in Maps"
          with Data on Troop Strength, Military Units, Ships, Casualties, and Related Statistics
          by William S. Coker and Hazel P. Coker
          The Perdido Bay Press

          Day by day troop movemets with a bibliography.
          Tallyho,
          Gregg Hansen

          Justin Boggess <ilovebach2001@...> wrote:
          Dear List,

          Would someone please be able to recommend some good primary or
          secondary sources/books on the surrender of Pensacola and the
          Caribbean campaigns? I know of the 3rd Waldeck regiment account of
          the surrender at Pensacola but that is all I am familiar with.

          Thank you!

          YMHOS,
          Justin Boggess
          Duncan's Coy
          Kings Royal Yorkers
          http://royalyorkers.ca/

        • bdodgeweaver
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2 6:22 PM
            --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Boggess" <ilovebach2001@...>
            wrote:

            > Dear List, Would someone please be able to recommend some good
            primary or secondary sources/books on the surrender of Pensacola and the
            > Caribbean campaigns? . . . Justin Boggess

            Dear Justin:

            David J. Weber's THE SPANISH FRONTIER IN NORTH AMERICA hsa a chapter
            that addresses Spain's role in the war. If you are interested in
            Spanish North America, this is the basic text. In addition, as Bob
            Johnson mentioned, N. Orwin Rush's book (a small paperback, a bit
            expensive at $18 when it was purchased for me, but packed with detail
            and primary sources appendices) is the best single work I have seen on
            the action. A bibliography on Spanish activity in the AWI is here:

            http://xenophongroup.com/patriot/arrt/bibliography03.htm

            Regards - Thad Weaver, German Rt.

            "The king has determined that the principal object of his arms in
            America during the present war will be to drive [the English] from the
            Mexican Gulf and the neighborhood of Louisiana", Jose de Galvez to
            Bernardo de Galvez, [Madrid], August 29, 1779
          • bobjinpa@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2 6:49 PM
              Pretty good book if you can find it. The only copy I found was $85, so it might be better to get an interlibrary loan. I do not think it added much to the book by N. Orwin Rush except Rush does not list the units and their strengths. But I have that information from other sources if you need it.
              The two biographies are by J.W. Caughey. He gives a good account of the various battles that Galvez led or managed against British West Florida, but I haven't read it in years. My favorite however is one by Jack D.L. Holmes entitled Honor and Fidelity, however it had a limited printing of 1000 copies; the cheapest and only copy I found for sale goes for $450. Hmmm, maybe it is time I sold my copy.
              As for the rest of the Caribbean activity. I never found very much. Boatner's Encyclopedia gives at least some information. But Fortescue's History has a bit more information if I remember correctly. Since it was a mainly a French vs. English war here, there might be more information in the PRO and maybe French Marine Dept Archives.
              BTW I have copies of all the Florida Historic Society articles on East and West Florida, plus a number of books on the subject, so if you have some specific questions, I might well have the answers.
              I had hoped to order some of the articles in the Louisiana History publications, but Katrina hit just as I waw about to write them. There is more information in old historic magazines, mostly on actions along the Mississippi, but you need JSTOR access to see them.
              Bob Johnson
              York PA

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2 7:33 PM
                Hi,

                I would suggest the following:

                1. Spain and the Independence of the United States, An Intrinsic Gift
                by Thomas E. Chavez. Provides a very complete view, from world-wide
                strategy down to specific theaters. Has a very good bibliography and
                notes section. You can find it in Amazon and Abebooks.

                2. "Yo Solo", The Battle Journal of Bernardo de Galvez During the
                American Revolution by E.A. Montemayor. The title is misleading
                because it covers only the siege of Pensacola. Just make sure you
                request or buy the translated version because the I've seen the
                Spanish version listed on-line with the exact same title.

                Our unit has some sources in Spanish and the archives in Spain have
                been providing more and more access to documents on-line. Is there any
                specific unit or facet of the Mississippi-Gulf campaign you're
                interested in?

                Your most humble servant,

                Eliud Bonilla
                Spanish Louisiana Infantry Regiment

                wrote:

                > Dear List,
                >
                > Would someone please be able to recommend some good primary or
                > secondary sources/books on the surrender of Pensacola and the
                > Caribbean campaigns? I know of the 3rd Waldeck regiment account of
                > the surrender at Pensacola but that is all I am familiar with.
                >
                > Thank you!
                >
                > YMHOS,
                > Justin Boggess
                > Duncan's Coy
                > Kings Royal Yorkers
                > http://royalyorkers.ca/

              • bdodgeweaver
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2 8:08 PM
                  --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Eliud Bonilla" <ebonilla@...> wrote:

                  > Our unit has some sources in Spanish and the archives in Spain have
                  > been providing more and more access to documents on-line. Is there
                  any specific unit or facet of the Mississippi-Gulf campaign you're
                  > interested in . . . Eliud Bonilla
                  > Spanish Louisiana Infantry Regiment

                  Eliud - I had heard, many years ago, that the Spanish government might
                  have some of the British colors taken at Pensacola. Any clue as to
                  whether this might be true? I figured you are the person to know -

                  Thad Weaver
                  German Rt.
                • Eliud Bonilla
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 2 8:37 PM
                    Hi Thad,

                    Yes they do, in the Spanish Army Museum (Museo Ejercito) in Madrid. It
                    is framed and at the top, the frame has a small portrait of Galvez on
                    horseback. Unfortunately I've only seen a relatively small, and black
                    and white, picture of it. I heard that the museum is closed right now
                    because it is being transferred to new facilities in the city of
                    Toledo. I can try to ask my contact if they have a high resolution
                    picture of it.

                    Eliud Bonilla
                    Spanish Louisiana Reg

                    --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "bdodgeweaver" <BDodgeWeaver@...> wrote:

                    > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Eliud Bonilla" <ebonilla@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Our unit has some sources in Spanish and the archives in Spain have
                    > > been providing more and more access to documents on-line. Is there
                    > any specific unit or facet of the Mississippi-Gulf campaign you're
                    > > interested in . . . Eliud Bonilla
                    > > Spanish Louisiana Infantry Regiment
                    > >
                    > Eliud - I had heard, many years ago, that the Spanish government might
                    > have some of the British colors taken at Pensacola. Any clue as to
                    > whether this might be true? I figured you are the person to know -
                    >
                    > Thad Weaver
                    > German Rt.

                  • Bruce McNeal
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 3 4:16 AM
                      The colors of the Maryland Loyalists were taken at Pensacola and we
                      have hunted for them for years. We've written to the consulate and
                      several museums. Mostly I'd like to know what they looked like.

                      All the Best,
                      Bruce McNeal
                      Md Loyalists

                    • xxiipc@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 3 5:10 AM
                        Tories, Dons & Rebels, the American Revolution in British West Florida by J.
                        Barton Starr, 1976, ISBN 0-8130-0543-4 and Battle of Pensacola by N. Orwin
                        Rush, 1966 are two good starters for a reasonable price available from most
                        on-line used book dealers.

                        Tim Terrell
                        Invalid Coy
                        1st Battn. of Penna. Loyalists

                        <BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at
                        http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>

                      • Justin Boggess
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 3 5:13 AM
                          Gentlemen,

                          Thank you for your assistance with getting me started
                          for the Pensacola/Caribbean campaigns. Occasionally I
                          would see mention in my books of Pensacola and so
                          naturally I get that urge to look deeper. Now I know
                          where to go. Thanks again!

                          YMHOS,
                          Justin Boggess
                          Duncan's Coy
                          Kings Royal Yorkers

                          --- Eliud Bonilla <ebonilla@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Thad,
                          >
                          > Yes they do, in the Spanish Army Museum (Museo
                          > Ejercito) in Madrid. It
                          > is framed and at the top, the frame has a small
                          > portrait of Galvez on
                          > horseback. Unfortunately I've only seen a relatively
                          > small, and black
                          > and white, picture of it. I heard that the museum is
                          > closed right now
                          > because it is being transferred to new facilities in
                          > the city of
                          > Toledo. I can try to ask my contact if they have a
                          > high resolution
                          > picture of it.
                          >
                          > Eliud Bonilla
                          > Spanish Louisiana Reg
                          >
                          > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "bdodgeweaver"
                          > <BDodgeWeaver@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Eliud Bonilla"
                          > <ebonilla@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Our unit has some sources in Spanish and the
                          > archives in Spain have
                          > > > been providing more and more access to documents
                          > on-line. Is there
                          > > any specific unit or facet of the Mississippi-Gulf
                          > campaign you're
                          > > > interested in . . . Eliud Bonilla
                          > > > Spanish Louisiana Infantry Regiment
                          > > >
                          > > Eliud - I had heard, many years ago, that the
                          > Spanish government might
                          > > have some of the British colors taken at
                          > Pensacola. Any clue as to
                          > > whether this might be true? I figured you are the
                          > person to know -
                          > >
                          > > Thad Weaver
                          > > German Rt.

                          Got a little couch potato?