Re:Events

  • Patrick J O'Kelley
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 1, 2007
      Howdy,
      I don't consider a "living history" as a powder burner, but I
      look at it as the opposite. Most of what we do is big fights. Most of
      the living histories we do are dog and pony shows, for the public, to put
      some money in the bank. However, one of the best ones I have done was
      last year's UTR. Me, Bert Puckett and Isaac Raguza were "hired" by Jay
      Callaham to be counter intelligence against the underground in
      Williamsburg. We became immersed, and took it entirely serious. Lucky
      for the insurgents, because at points we all wanted to click into "Jack
      Bauer" mode.
      Now, if we include fighting events, then the best would be 225th
      Monmouth, 225th Charleston, Bordentown way back when.

      Patrick O'Kelley http://www.2nc.org/
      Author of "Nothing but Blood and Slaughter" The Revolutionary War in the
      Carolinas
      Available at Volume One 1771-1779
      http://www.booklocker.com/books/1469.html
      Volume Two 1780
      http://www.booklocker.com/books/1707.html
      Volume Three 1781
      http://www.booklocker.com/books/1965.html
    • HD18thCent@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 1, 2007
        > I was wondering what the members of this forum would
        > describe as the
        > best living history event they ever attended and why
        > they look back on
        > it as the best event.

        Since no time period was mentioned, I must add F&I Lake George 2005, the
        Bloody Morning Scout. The most realistic ambush I have ever heard of, on the
        actual ground. Surrounded by Milice de Chambly and Belle Riviere, heard only
        French in the woods. Firing from ambush from the woods surrounding the British
        line it looked like real panic on the road and a "turkey shoot" attitude from
        the French.

        People are still talking about it.

        Gene Tozzi
        First Ulster County Militia
        Milice du Ft Ste Fredric
        Kingston, NY

        "Those who go down to the sea in ships, Who do business on great waters,
        They see the works of the Lord, And His wonders in the deep." Psalm
        107:23-24.

      • Mark Crosby
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 1, 2007
          George,
          Like some of the other people on this list that go back to the early
          70's, I had to think about this one for a while. The best events I
          recall were.
          Mt. Holly, NJ 1974, My first event.
          The 200th of Germantown.
          The 200th of Yorktown.
          Rockford Plantation in Lancaster, Pa. 199?
          Gunston Hall, Va, 199?
          Bordentown 1997
          Whitpain, Pa (without the rain)
          The 225th of White Planes.
          The 225th of Saratoga.
          The 225th of Monmouth
          UTR 2005

          Mark Crosby
        • Al and Fran Florio
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 1, 2007
            Lamb's Artillery remembers the 1991 event in Morris Township. Al
            thought the little stream wasn't very deep and so he said go across
            it. At first he noted that he couldn't see the guys at the end of the
            drag ropes. Then he lost the others. And then he, with his hand on
            the tiller, went down into the stream bed! And yelled, "Don't stop!"
            Well, they got out and surprised the entire British line.

            And then there was a BAR tactical in the mid-1990s where they performed
            a field repair on the cannon and still managed to defend the bridge!

            I still get chills when I think of Saratoga in 2003. I looked out from
            camp and watched the men march away. And then the mist came up.

            Fran Florio
            Lamb's Artillery
          • Christopher (Chris) Woolf
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 1, 2007
              Well, only doing this since '99, but key ingredients for me are a
              good site; good ground; surprise attacks; playing in boats; Some
              attempt at realism with guards, pickets, patrols. Any event where
              somebody starts shouting "To Arms, To Arms". Oh, and capturing the
              Lexington Trained Band, of course. Here's my list:

              Battle Rd 2000. Marched 25 miles, about half of that a fighting
              retreat.

              Crown Point, when the Advanced Guard occupied the detached Grenadier
              Redoubt, and we had some amazing patrols and ambushes. Was that 2001?

              Fort Ti 1999 when we defended a berm up where the fort now does its
              firing demonstrations: the yanks were dying in heaps, and just at
              that moment a schooner rounded the point into the South River.

              Fort Ti 2000 (?) rowing down Lake Champlain from Crown Point

              Rhode Island, 2003: the Sunday tactical was just amazing, ambushed
              and crushed the LTB. And of course, the flogging of a thief.

              Marblehead 2004: boat action; street fighting; ambushes including one
              from a 1704 house; capturing the entire LTB; reading an obnoxious
              Royal proclamation to the town and getting booed and pelted; great
              party.

              Newburyport 2005: capturing a gun and annihilating the LTB (are you
              seeing a pattern?)

              Quebec 2005, for the food, and the site

              Charleston, SC, 2006, for the site, the mist, the boats, falling in
              the swamp & getting hosed down by the Army Sjt-major. The exotic site
              of Spanish moss. The sweet tea.

              UTR 1999, for the party

              Falmouth, MA,1999, storming the beach from tall ships.

              Sutton (2004?) MA, for the cavalry raid on the British camp. "To
              arms! To arms!"

              A tactical somewhere in NH years ago where I first met Bob Balcius
              and Fireteam Alpha.

              But my favourite mock-battle of all time was a section bayonet charge
              against the Panzer Grenadiers in the Harz Mountains in 1984.
              Drove 'em right off the hill and threw off the whole NATO schedule,
              so they declared our company 'dead' by an airstrike.

              What makes a bad event?
              - Poor site (with either lots of farbiness or modern intrusions, like
              the spotlights in the camp at Yorktown last year)

              - Hour-long Colour ceremonies in 90 degree weather.

              - Predictable battles (eg we've done the same thing at Ft Ti for 4 or
              5 years -- very pleased that will be changing now).

              - People who start reciting lines from "Zulu" or Monty Python in the
              middle of an engagement; Verbal farbs.

              - Poor logistics (water, wood, straw)

              - Silly restrictions (don't shoot the enemy, shoot at those trees
              over there!)

              - Long speeches.

              - Energetic battle commentaries on loudspeakers by famous Antique
              Collectors (no names)

              Chris W
              King's Own
            • mass17752000
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 2, 2007
                > Oh, and capturing the
                > Lexington Trained Band, of course.

                Chris,

                And the only reason we let you guys catch us was to help build the
                4th's self esteem. ; )

                YS

                Alex Cain
                LTB
              • Robert Weaver
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 5, 2007
                  As another of the old timers, I have to keep Yorktown 200 at the top
                  of my short list of great events. Battleroad 225 had a unique moment
                  for me as it was the first time I ever fought as a "rebel," wiat, I
                  mean "patriot." I spent many years as a loyalist. After my first
                  shot at Battleroad, I lowered my musket, watched the smoke drift
                  from the vent and thought, "My God, I've fired on my flag." I'm sure
                  I was in touch with a very period emotion for some of those
                  original "embattled farmers" then. - Rob Weaver, Lochry's Militia
                  --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Crosby" <ra4bat@...> wrote:

                  > George,
                  > Like some of the other people on this list that go back to the
                  early
                  > 70's, I had to think about this one for a while. The best events
                  > recall were.
                  > Mt. Holly, NJ 1974, My first event.
                  > The 200th of Germantown.
                  > The 200th of Yorktown.
                  > Rockford Plantation in Lancaster, Pa. 199?
                  > Gunston Hall, Va, 199?
                  > Bordentown 1997
                  > Whitpain, Pa (without the rain)
                  > The 225th of White Planes.
                  > The 225th of Saratoga.
                  > The 225th of Monmouth
                  > UTR 2005
                  >
                  > Mark Crosby

                • Abe Fisher
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 5, 2007
                    BR225 had a couple of those moments for me. One was arriving at camp
                    just as the entire British line was marching out, still in the
                    dark...seeing all those silhouettes was impressive at any number of
                    levels. The other was being with my company in the woodline at
                    Meriam's Corner, watching the regulars come onto the field, and onto
                    the field, and onto the field, and realizing it was just the advance
                    guard--and thinking something akin to "I think I've got planting to
                    worry about, what on earth am I doing here, facing a force of this
                    magnitude?"

                    Abe
                    4th Middlesex/85eme Saintonge