stint and fleel

  • Mike Barbieri
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
      Listees,

      For you fire-challenged folks, I came across a bit about flint and
      steel fire starting--with a bit of cheating--at the following link:

      http://www.livescience.com/php/video/player.php?video_id=firetool.

      Mike Barbieri
      Whitcomb's Corps
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
        Normally I take flint and steel and add butane, in a nice compact
        package. Handy, though I wonder about it's authenticity.

        Dave H
        3NH

        -----------------------

        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Barbieri" <ottercreek@...>
        wrote:

        > Listees,
        >
        > For you fire-challenged folks, I came across a bit about flint and
        > steel fire starting--with a bit of cheating--at the following link:
        >
        > http://www.livescience.com/php/video/player.php?video_id=firetool.
        >
        > Mike Barbieri
        > Whitcomb's Corps

      • mike
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 21, 2010
          All these discussions that go on and on about authenticity ALWAYS center on how somebody looks. I'd be willing to bet that every soldier in every army in North America would be able--or soon after enlisting would be able--to start a fire using flint and steel. I wonder how many in our hobby can do the same? (very small percentage--even smaller numbers can do it quickly) How many can make charcloth? (even smaller percentage) How many know what it is? (probably quite a few but I still wonder) My point: It's relatively easy to look the part. It's much harder to gain and apply common period knowledge and skills.

          Mike Barbieri
          Whitcomb's Rangers
        • John Ogden
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 21, 2010
            Excellent point. Life skills are probably the one area where the
            buckskinning community have reenactors trounced (if you want to view
            authenticity as a competition). Beyond that, I'm still waiting for some one
            to insist that those of us who play soldier drop however much body weight
            and height are necessary to fit into surviving original garments, and then
            demand that we all have the cosmetic surgery needed to appear to be in our
            late teens and early 20's (more authentic, especially for British
            regulars)...

            --
            John J. Ogden

          • mbrmanning2
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 21, 2010
              --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, John Ogden <johnjogden@...> wrote:

              > Excellent point. Life skills are probably the one area where the
              > buckskinning community have reenactors trounced (if you want to view
              > authenticity as a competition). Beyond that, I'm still waiting for some one
              > to insist that those of us who play soldier drop however much body weight
              > and height are necessary to fit into surviving original garments, and then
              > demand that we all have the cosmetic surgery needed to appear to be in our
              > late teens and early 20's (more authentic, especially for British
              > regulars)...

              Oh would that were possible . . .

              Jack Benny once said, "I have the body of an 18-year-old."
              Fred Allen responded, "Well you better give it back. You're getting it all wrinkled."

              I almost wish I had terrible acne scarring. I could claim they were small pox scars.
            • bolton1812
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 21, 2010
                Mike,
                Flint and steel is easy after a little practice. Faster method is to place a piece of charcloth in the pan of your musket, full cock and pull...gets it burning virtually every time! Lot less effort.
                Cheers,
                Bob Bolton
                Pa. Associators

                --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <ottercreek@...> wrote:

                > All these discussions that go on and on about authenticity ALWAYS center on how somebody looks. I'd be willing to bet that every soldier in every army in North America would be able--or soon after enlisting would be able--to start a fire using flint and steel. I wonder how many in our hobby can do the same? (very small percentage--even smaller numbers can do it quickly) How many can make charcloth? (even smaller percentage) How many know what it is? (probably quite a few but I still wonder) My point: It's relatively easy to look the part. It's much harder to gain and apply common period knowledge and skills.
                >
                > Mike Barbieri
                > Whitcomb's Rangers

              • Dan Gracia
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 21, 2010
                  But Bob....that's not nearly as much fun!

                  YMHS,
                  Dan

                  Dan Gracia
                  Virginia 7th Regiment
                  Rifle company
                  and
                  Capt. John Warner's Company
                  Green Mountain Rangers

                  On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 8:47 PM, bolton1812 <bolton1812@...> wrote:

                  > Mike,
                  > Flint and steel is easy after a little practice. Faster method is to place
                  > a piece of charcloth in the pan of your musket, full cock and pull...gets it
                  > burning virtually every time! Lot less effort.
                  > Cheers,
                  > Bob Bolton
                  > Pa. Associators
                  >

                  > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com <Revlist%40yahoogroups.com>, "mike"
                  > <ottercreek@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > All these discussions that go on and on about authenticity ALWAYS center
                  > on how somebody looks. I'd be willing to bet that every soldier in every
                  > army in North America would be able--or soon after enlisting would be
                  > able--to start a fire using flint and steel. I wonder how many in our hobby
                  > can do the same? (very small percentage--even smaller numbers can do it
                  > quickly) How many can make charcloth? (even smaller percentage) How many
                  > know what it is? (probably quite a few but I still wonder) My point: It's
                  > relatively easy to look the part. It's much harder to gain and apply common
                  > period knowledge and skills.
                  > >
                  > > Mike Barbieri
                  > > Whitcomb's Rangers
                  > >

                  > _

                • bolton1812
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 21, 2010
                    Dan,
                    Saves on hittin' yer knuckles with the flint! Can also light a pipe on the march without missin' a step. My guys know that Sgt. Bob needs his pipe! Grrrrr. ;)
                    Cheers,
                    Bob Bolton
                    Pa. Associators

                    --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Dan Gracia <twisted1in66@...> wrote:

                    > But Bob....that's not nearly as much fun!
                    >
                    > YMHS,
                    > Dan
                    >

                    > Dan Gracia
                    > Virginia 7th Regiment
                    > Rifle company
                    > and
                    > Capt. John Warner's Company
                    > Green Mountain Rangers
                    >
                    > On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 8:47 PM, bolton1812 <bolton1812@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Mike,
                    > > Flint and steel is easy after a little practice. Faster method is to place
                    > > a piece of charcloth in the pan of your musket, full cock and pull...gets it
                    > > burning virtually every time! Lot less effort.
                    > > Cheers,
                    > > Bob Bolton
                    > > Pa. Associators
                    > >

                    > > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com <Revlist%40yahoogroups.com>, "mike"
                    > > <ottercreek@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > All these discussions that go on and on about authenticity ALWAYS center
                    > > on how somebody looks. I'd be willing to bet that every soldier in every
                    > > army in North America would be able--or soon after enlisting would be
                    > > able--to start a fire using flint and steel. I wonder how many in our hobby
                    > > can do the same? (very small percentage--even smaller numbers can do it
                    > > quickly) How many can make charcloth? (even smaller percentage) How many
                    > > know what it is? (probably quite a few but I still wonder) My point: It's
                    > > relatively easy to look the part. It's much harder to gain and apply common
                    > > period knowledge and skills.
                    > > >
                    > > > Mike Barbieri
                    > > > Whitcomb's Rangers
                    > > >

                    > > _

                  • mike
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 21, 2010
                      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "bolton1812" <bolton1812@...> wrote:

                      > Mike,
                      > Flint and steel is easy after a little practice. Faster method is to place a piece of charcloth in the pan of your musket, full cock and pull...gets it burning virtually every time! Lot less effort.
                      > Cheers,
                      > Bob Bolton
                      > Pa. Associators

                      Yup, you're right, but being relatively easy is what makes it's rarity in the hobby so ridiculous. Everybody worries about how they look--not what they can do.

                      I've watched folks (including ones supposedly giving instructions on the skill) flailing away with a flint and steel with the result of few sparks or sparks everywhere but on the charcloth. A good steel, a sharp edge, proper charcloth, and the right technique will result in the charcloth catching a spark with one or two strikes. Save gun flints for firing--they wear out fast enough. That reminds me, I have to harden my steel.

                      By the way, I have started scores, nay, hundreds of fires (often just the nest) with flint and steel for the public and it never fails to put people in awe. Even better when they hear the temp/time explanation of the process. Great fun and a good skill to have when civilization comes to an end in 2012.

                      Mike Barbieri
                      Whitcomb's Corps
                    • chris DIPASQUALE
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 22, 2010
                        winter is a great time to practice with the flint and steel , I get the fireplace started on a almost a nightly basis with it. I keep my fire kit on the mantle. I agree the public is ALWAYS amazed and it.
                        Chris
                        5th NY

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 22, 2010
                          Hey Bob,

                          I learned long ago to hold the flint in my left hand with the small square
                          of charcloth held in place on top of it with my thumb. Then I strike down
                          on the flint with my striker. Because the flint is angled up, the sparks go
                          onto the top of the charcloth and I catch an ember without any danger of
                          slicing my knuckles open...OK, I've been known once or twice to hit my
                          knuckles with the striker but that's far less traumatic than slicing my
                          knuckles with the flint.

                          Not nearly so easy to light my pipe on the march with that method though.
                          Of course, my pipes always seem to break before they get much use anyway.

                          YMHS
                          Dan

                          Dan Gracia
                          Virginia 7th Regiment
                          Rifle company
                          and
                          Capt. John Warner's Company
                          Green Mountain Rangers

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 22, 2010
                            However, this method makes for a shorter and much less interesting
                            demontration.

                            J~

                            John M. Johnston
                            There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness. Dave Barry

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 22, 2010
                              Dan,

                              Of the variety of ways I have tried striking flint and steel, the method you describe is, by far, the best in my not-so-humble opinion. I use it at events and shows and used it nearly every day during my time in the blacksmith shop at LCMM. The charcloth virtually never fails to catch a spark and my knuckles are unscarred from the process.

                              Mike Barbieri
                              Whitcomb's Corps

                              --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Dan Gracia <twisted1in66@...> wrote:

                              > Hey Bob,
                              >
                              > I learned long ago to hold the flint in my left hand with the small square
                              > of charcloth held in place on top of it with my thumb. Then I strike down
                              > on the flint with my striker. Because the flint is angled up, the sparks go
                              > onto the top of the charcloth and I catch an ember without any danger of
                              > slicing my knuckles open...OK, I've been known once or twice to hit my
                              > knuckles with the striker but that's far less traumatic than slicing my
                              > knuckles with the flint.
                            • Dr. Larry A. Maxwell
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 12, 2010
                                Greetings All,
                                We'd like to invite anyone who wants to participate with the 4th NY in a
                                Marching Skirmish as part of the Mt. Kisco, NY, St. Patrick's Day Parade
                                (Westchester County). Sat Mar 13. Line up is at 1 pm, parade at 2. It is
                                about 2 miles long and very well attended. Continentals march along the
                                road and Crown forces pop out of the crowd and engage them along the
                                route. The only bad news is the Crown forces die at the end of the
                                parade before the reviewing stand. The Ancient Order of Hibernians will
                                help revive you after the parade with Hot Dogs, Soad and beer for you
                                and your families who come with you.
                                Respond off list if interested. We have a great time
                                Wishing You All Well
                                Larry Maxwell, 4th NY
                              • ChrisW
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 12, 2010
                                  Love to see that attempted in south Boston!!
                                  Chris W
                                  King's Own