Re: [Revlist] Dansey Tent/Baggage Item Question

  • Sgt42RHR@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
      Gentle list,

      If one goes to http://www.litencyc.com/php/sworks.php?rec=true&UID=229 and
      then clicks on the print to enlarge it, and then uses the magnifying glass
      enlarge feature to make it even larger, you can just get a view of the contents
      of the wagon. I have an origianl 9th state engraving of A March to
      Finchley--about 17 x 22 inches--so it's easy to see the contents of the wagon in
      detail; to wit: On the very back of the wagon are round, hard cases (look like
      drum cases), but further forward piled up (its what the nursing mother and the
      two old hags are sitting on) are long, cylindrical rolls. They are clearly
      soft side cases with a strap handle on the end going from side to side across
      the end. Along the length of the cylinder is a flap opening (as in a
      portmanteau) with three straps keeping the flap closed. Given the proportions of
      the person sitting on top of one they appear to be too large for a personal
      portmanteau. Could they be for tents? Also perched high on the wagon, to the
      right of one of the riders, is a square cloth covered bale tied with a rope.
      In addition to the other contents of the wagon, there are also lots of tent
      poles (round, with pointed pins in the end). While we don't know what is in
      the large cylindrical rolls, their association with tent poles is at least
      suggestive.

      Cheers,
      John

      Harriettdrhm@... writes:
      List; In the Reading of the Items of personal baggage that
      Lt.Wlm.Dansey carried on his bat(e?) horse I noted a 'valise to put the
      tent in''. So the Question, what is a Valise in circa 1777. It is not a
      Portmantaux(sic) and 'valise' circa 1930=1960 was a 'suitcase' Any
      thoughts, sources or W.A.G. ? In a similar vien, were any or all tents
      packed in a 'case ' of some sort, for protection?
      C.S.Anthony
      The Eastern Marches

      John M. Johnston
      42d Grenr. Compy.
      "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness." Dave Barry