Re: Humorous Powder horn sayings

  • Bill Baldwin
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2007
      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "cataniajim" <jimcatania@...> wrote:

      > Hello All
      > I was wondering does anyone out there know of Humorous sayings
      carved
      > on Powder horns? I know of two. They are : I powder with my brother
      > ball, will make heros of us all. 2/ The Redcoat that steals this
      horn
      > will go to hell as sure as he's born. Do you know of anymore?

      "American Powder Horns" by Stephen Grancsay has over two pages of
      Rhymes from American Powder Horns.
      One favorite; "What I contain will freely go
      To bring a haughty tyrant low".
      WB
    • KILTONE@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2007
        In a message dated 2/1/2007 4:00:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, turf1@...
        writes:

        Aim small, miss small."

        (Spit)

      • Thomas Pray
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2007
          --One of my favorites is:

          Steal not this horn for it be wrong
          And the Gallows rope is long.

          Thomas Pray

          - In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "cataniajim" <jimcatania@...> wrote:

          > Hello All
          > I was wondering does anyone out there know of Humorous sayings carved
          > on Powder horns? I know of two. They are : I powder with my brother
          > ball, will make heros of us all. 2/ The Redcoat that steals this horn
          > will go to hell as sure as he's born. Do you know of anymore?

        • Mike Barbieri
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2007
            --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "cataniajim" <jimcatania@...> wrote:

            > Hello All
            > I was wondering does anyone out there know of Humorous sayings
            carved
            > on Powder horns? I know of two. They are : I powder with my brother
            > ball, will make heros of us all. 2/ The Redcoat that steals this
            horn
            > will go to hell as sure as he's born. Do you know of anymore?

            I've caught some generally good-natured grief for having the following
            on one of my horns--people read it as they stand around me. I'll
            probably catch some more.

            A dog, a woman, a walnut tree,
            The more you beat 'em, the better they be.

            Mike Barbieri
            Whitcomb's Corps
          • sgt2sc
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2007
              --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, KILTONE@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 2/1/2007 4:00:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              turf1@...
              > writes:
              >
              > Aim small, miss small."

              > (Spit)

              Believe it or not a few of us saw that phrase on the horn being worn by
              a farb ranger at Yorktown 225th! We could not believe what we saw so
              Patrick O'Kelley took a photo of it.

              We should have asked the ranger if the horn came with a copy of the
              film.

              Ron Vido
            • Thomas Pray
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007
                --Mike,

                My friends in the French camps have given me such "good natured' ribbing for my F&I
                horn:

                To Hell My Ball shall send the French Frog
                And my Powder assure him of the Journey.

                They also tease me that French and Frog are the same thing. Not so. Frogs were Parisians
                of ill conduct, manners, and low brow behaviour. The French also used Frog in dirision.
                Thus I call my enemy a dirty Little ##@$%% basically. I had seen a similar horn a few years
                ago in Maine at a small Historical association collection and that is what I based my
                opening line on.

                To Hell go ye from this Powder sent.

                Cute horn you have. Don't show it to my wife. :) ha ha ha

              • PBSP@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007
                  In a message dated 2/1/2007 8:19:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  sgt2sc@... writes:
                  >>Aim small, miss small."

                  > (Spit)

                  Believe it or not a few of us saw that phrase on the horn being worn by
                  a farb ranger at Yorktown 225th! We could not believe what we saw so
                  Patrick O'Kelley took a photo of it.

                  We should have asked the ranger if the horn came with a copy of the
                  film.<<

                  Ron

                  Hey, don't knock it. That repro horn was based on an original found at
                  the Fort Wilderness site.

                  John (spit) Mills

                • frenchfifer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 5, 2007
                    I have a friend from the Royal Irish Artillery that has reproduced an
                    artillery horn that has an inscription in German - which translates:

                    "All skill is lost
                    When an Angel pisses in your touchhole"

                    Steven Taskovics
                    Regiment Saintonge