Dansey Tent/Baggage Item Question

  • phinney2002
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
      List; In the Reading of the Items of personal baggage that
      Lt.Wlm.Dansey carried on his bat(e?) horse I noted a 'valise to put the
      tent in''. So the Question, what is a Valise in circa 1777. It is not a
      Portmantaux(sic) and 'valise' circa 1930=1960 was a 'suitcase' Any
      thoughts, sources or W.A.G. ? In a similar vien, were any or all tents
      packed in a 'case ' of some sort, for protection?
      C.S.Anthony
      The Eastern Marches
    • Sgt42RHR@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
        Gentle list,

        If one goes to http://www.litencyc.com/php/sworks.php?rec=true&UID=229 and
        then clicks on the print to enlarge it, and then uses the magnifying glass
        enlarge feature to make it even larger, you can just get a view of the contents
        of the wagon. I have an origianl 9th state engraving of A March to
        Finchley--about 17 x 22 inches--so it's easy to see the contents of the wagon in
        detail; to wit: On the very back of the wagon are round, hard cases (look like
        drum cases), but further forward piled up (its what the nursing mother and the
        two old hags are sitting on) are long, cylindrical rolls. They are clearly
        soft side cases with a strap handle on the end going from side to side across
        the end. Along the length of the cylinder is a flap opening (as in a
        portmanteau) with three straps keeping the flap closed. Given the proportions of
        the person sitting on top of one they appear to be too large for a personal
        portmanteau. Could they be for tents? Also perched high on the wagon, to the
        right of one of the riders, is a square cloth covered bale tied with a rope.
        In addition to the other contents of the wagon, there are also lots of tent
        poles (round, with pointed pins in the end). While we don't know what is in
        the large cylindrical rolls, their association with tent poles is at least
        suggestive.

        Cheers,
        John

        Harriettdrhm@... writes:
        List; In the Reading of the Items of personal baggage that
        Lt.Wlm.Dansey carried on his bat(e?) horse I noted a 'valise to put the
        tent in''. So the Question, what is a Valise in circa 1777. It is not a
        Portmantaux(sic) and 'valise' circa 1930=1960 was a 'suitcase' Any
        thoughts, sources or W.A.G. ? In a similar vien, were any or all tents
        packed in a 'case ' of some sort, for protection?
        C.S.Anthony
        The Eastern Marches

        John M. Johnston
        42d Grenr. Compy.
        "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness." Dave Barry