Re: [Revlist] Washington's cologne

  • Ron Carnegie
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hello,

      I wear Number Six, and have been pleased with it.

      I wonder at you being doubtful at the claim that the receipt is unchanged. I suspect, as it is a company's secret, that weither or not it has been changed can not be proven. I wouldn't see any reason for alteration however, save ingredieants that are no longer available. Having made cologne, I would see very little reason to expect any alteration for this reason today. Colognes are generally made with alcohol, water, witch hazel, and various "flavouring agents" usually fruit and spices.

      As to weither or not Washington's use of it is apochryphal or not, I can not say. I limited perusal on the Washington Papers online shows no reference to Dr William Hunter or Number Six Cologne. If you are really interested, you just email or write to the company, and ask for their documentation. It could be that it is no more than an old corporate story, but they may in fact have documentation. I frankly wouldn't be surprised either way.

      Ron Carnegie
      Dept of Geographers