Re: Super--bowl/tureen, sport gathering

  • Madyas@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2007
      What an excellent and timely idea for a topic on the Superbowl! Mention of
      the tureen instantly made me think of an interesting article which was posted
      on the Jefferson County, MS list at Rootsweb (just type in Jefferson County
      Fox Hunt in your browser and you'll find it.) I guess the story could be
      compared to a modern-day Superbowl gathering for sport and drink/dining. It
      tells of a gathering in Mississippi in the 1830s for a fox hunt and feast,
      attended by many neighbors, including my colonial Maryland-born ancestor Colonel
      James Gillam Wood, and others who came from colonial Maryland and settled in
      Church Hill, MS which was often called "the Maryland Settlement." It's a
      lively tale of the gathering and feast (and sadly, a graphic description of the
      hunt itself) and although it's way beyond colonial times, it seems like there
      would have been similar gatherings in colonial times which might be akin to
      Superbowl weekend. A line from it says, "On the sideboard was an immense
      oceanic bowl of old India China filled with apple toddy, brewed as our host
      informed us, not only in honor of our arrival, but in anticipation of the coming
      of a party of his neighbors to breakfast and hunt with us on the morrow." I
      had remembered the article's mention of the "oceanic bowl" when the post came
      through with the topic of super...bowl...tureen and thought the fox hunt
      would be kind of like a sport gathering.

      My hobby is genealogy and the Colonel Wood mentioned above had a son (also
      named James Gillam Wood) who married a Fitzpatric(k) whose father or
      grandfather...can't remember, though they're my ancestors....was Thomas Fitzpatrick
      the presiding judge in the arrest of Aaron Burr in Adams/Jefferson County, MS,
      I'm told. This same colonel married Sarah Weems Allein in colonial Maryland.
      My Weems ancestor was Colonel John Weems, half-brother to Parson Weems. So
      much for history...thought since I'm new to this group I'd get the "Weems
      thing" out of the way since the parson doesn't seem to be everybody's
      favorite....ha! (I guess this means I'll be sent to the isolation corner of the
      group...ha!)

      peggy