Re: Neck Rollers/Neck Kerchief

  • Harriettdrhm@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2007
      List: Let me confuse the debate on neck rollers, perhaps.
      Can we agree on definitions?
      Neck Roller=cravate=Stienkirk(with fringe, I understand) twice wrapped and
      tied.
      As being a rectangle of fabrick
      Neck Kerchief= a triangle of fabrick, tied once about the neck.
      If that is correct, does it follow that the Neck Stock is a simplified
      version of the Neck Roller?; in that you replace the elaborate starching, folding
      and tying of a cravat with a simple buckle?
      Is there a time, era, frame for these progressions? It is noted that
      large, wide Neck Stocks with buckles do show up by the far end of the 18th Centy,
      and into the Regency era, in preposterous dimensions!
      Would any Brave and Knowledgeable Soul care to sort these out, for all
      other Inquiring Minds?
      Squire Charles Anthony
      Durham, The Eastern Marches