Re: [Revlist] Can Anyone Identify Blue Mount ??

  • JJG46@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
      Mike,

      I wonder if it refers to Blue Mountain, near Macungie, PA in the Pocono Mountain area.

      John Godzieba
      5th PA Regt, Light Inf.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
        Mike,

        The Blue Mountain runs from the PA side of the Delaware Water Gap and
        goes west from there. It forms the northern boundary of the Lehigh
        Valley, in which the cities of Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton are
        situated. Looking at a photo of an original map provided by the
        Northampton County Historical Society, the Blue Mountain was so named
        in the 18th century maps. Hope this helps.

        Regards,
        Damian Siekonic
        Privateer Media, LLC
        www.privateermedia.com

        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, umfspock87@... wrote:

        > Dear List,
        >
        > I was re-reading Captain John Chilton's letters last night and
        noticed a reference to a place that I'm not sure where it is. Here's
        the passage.

        > "The middle of Dec. I brought all my men into Pennsylvania. It was
        then the most healthy camp [I assume he means company] in the Regt.
        The weather was extremely cold and duty hard, when we camped at Blue
        Mount, the men bare of clothes and to a man we all had a surfeit
        [which I assume is some sort of skin condition because later on in the
        letter Chilton says he told his men to go into the country to local
        farmhouses and anoit for it].

        > It really sounds to me like Blue Mount is somewhere along the
        Pennsylvania side of the Delaware River....

        > A bit later in the letter he writes:
        >
        > "and if that had not been enough , marched up to this place where
        every officer but one went off." (The this place is Morristown).

        > Now, in Chilton's diary, it looks like he's spends January and Feb.
        in the Morristown area, so the above reference probably refers to his
        arrival in Morristown in January.

        > That would mean that the Blue Mount reference is probably someplace
        in Pennsylvania. It would be very cool if someone with knowledge of
        the area could identify the probable location of Blue Mount.

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Mike Cecere 7th VA

      • Anthony Seo
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
          At 12:37 PM 1/2/2007, you wrote:
          >Dear List,
          >
          >I was re-reading Captain John Chilton's letters last night and
          >noticed a reference to a place that I'm not sure where it
          >is. Here's the passage.
          >
          >"The middle of Dec. I brought all my men into Pennsylvania. It was
          >then the most healthy camp [I assume he means company] in the
          >Regt. The weather was extremely cold and duty hard, when we camped
          >at Blue Mount, the men bare of clothes and to a man we all had a
          >surfeit [which I assume is some sort of skin condition because later
          >on in the letter Chilton says he told his men to go into the country
          >to local farmhouses and anoit for it].
          >
          >It really sounds to me like Blue Mount is somewhere along the
          >Pennsylvania side of the Delaware River....

          The Blue Mountain is the first mountain line or range that runs from
          out by Chambersburg PA at the southern most part in a gentle curve to
          the NE and finishing south of Stroudsburg PA at the Delaware. It's
          very visible along I-81 N till Harrisburg and then I-78 heading East
          towards Allentown. It's starts moving a little more northward at
          Hamburg PA. There was a line of forts established along the range
          during the F & I War to help discourage the Native attacks coming
          down north of that area. If you look up a map of the Appalachian
          Trail through PA, that pretty much runs either along side or on the
          top of it for almost the entire state.

          If you were ever at the Ross Common's event that was discontinued a
          couple of years ago, that was right long the Blue Mountain ridge
          between Saylorsburg and Wind Gap PA.

          Looking at where Morristown NJ is, in relation to PA, it's very
          possible that they camped somewhere along the eastern most edge. I
          did locate a Blue Mount Lake in Northampton County PA (which begins
          on the south side of the mountain in that area). Nothing specific as
          to a town.

          I will be out in that area on the far eastern side in a couple of
          weeks. I'll ask some of the locals if they know of any area that was
          specifically called Blue Mount.

          Tony

          Olde River Hard Goods
          350 West Catawissa Street
          Nesquehoning PA 18240
          570-669-9421
          The best old tool store in Pennsylvania!
          http://www.oldetoolshop.com
        • bobjinpa@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
            There are Blue Mountains every where, just as there is a Blue Ridge, and for the same reasons.
            I think your Blue Mount is 15 or so miles north of Allentown and about the same distance west of the Delaware River.
            I am not sure why they went there to hunkerdown, but there were probably farming in the area at that time. It is sort of near the south edge of the Poconos and there is skiing there today (well not today probably, it is too warm). But there could be any number of Blue Mounts and some may be nought but a bump in the landscape if much closer to Eeaston or Trenton.
            Bob Johnson
            York PA
            From: umfspock87@...

          • Sgt42RHR@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
              umfspock87@... writes:

              I was re-reading Captain John Chilton's letters last night and noticed a
              reference to a place that I'm not sure where it is.

              John wonders:

              There is a Blue Mountain, PA....could it be the same?

              Blue Mountain is a ridge that forms the eastern (southeastern) edge of the
              Appalachian mountain range in Pennsylvania. It cuts across the eastern half of
              the state from New Jersey to Maryland, providing a distinct boundary between
              a number of Pennsylvania's geographical and cultural regions. To its
              northwest side are the southern and central mountains and valleys, the "coal
              region", and the Poconos. To its southeast side are the Cumberland Valley, the
              "capital region", Pennsylvania Dutch Country, and the Lehigh Valley.

              Geography
              The ridge of Blue Mountain runs for 150 miles through Pennsylvania, reaching
              an elevation of 2,270 feet (692 meters) above sea level just north of the
              Pennsylvania Turnpike, near the borough of Newburg. Most of the ridgecrest,
              however, only reaches between 1,400 and 1,600 feet in elevation. The mountain's
              width varies from 1 to 3 miles.

              The southwestern end of the mountain is at Big Gap, west of Shippensburg.
              (The mountain ridge continues to the southwest towards Maryland under the name
              of Broad Mountain.) The northeastern end of the mountain is at the Delaware
              Water Gap on the New Jersey border. Mount Minsi, elevation 1,461 feet (445 m),
              forms the promontory overlooking the Delaware River. The ridge of Blue
              Mountain continues northeast into New Jersey as the Kittatinny Mountains.

              Blue Mountain marks the boundary between the Great Appalachian Valley and
              the main Ridge-and-valley Appalachians.

              John M. Johnston
              42d Grenr. Compy.
              "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness." Dave Barry
            • Patrick O'Kelley
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
                Howdy,

                > It really sounds to me like Blue Mount is somewhere along the
                Pennsylvania side of the Delaware River....

                Here it is on a topographic map:

                http://tinyurl.com/y6q2nq

                If the little red crosshair comes out, that is Blue Mount lake, at
                the base of Blue Mountain.
                I got this from an interesting website that tracks down geographic
                names and give coordinates to them:

                http://tinyurl.com/y5mk4x

                Patrick O'Kelley http://www.2nc.org/
                Author of "Nothing but Blood and Slaughter" The Revolutionary War in
                the Carolinas
                Volume One 1771-1779 http://www.booklocker.com/books/1469.html
                Volume Two 1780 http://www.booklocker.com/books/1707.html
                Volume Three 1781
                http://www.booklocker.com/books/1965.html
                Volume Four 1782
                http://www.booklocker.com/books/2167.html
                "Unwaried Patience and Fortitude" Francis Marion's Orderly Book 1775-
                1782
                http://www.bbotw.com/description.asp?ISBN=0-7414-3666-3
              • ju_rees18938
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
                  Mike,

                  Chilton's Blue Mount is not Blue Mountain/Appalachian Range in
                  Pennsylvania. That's far above Easton. Which Chilton letter is it? I
                  pulled out my copies, but haven't found it yet.

                  John Rees

                • umfspock87@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
                    Hey John,

                    The reference is in the middle of his February 11, 1777 letter to his brother Charles. I think Chilton is refering to the site they camped after they crossed the Delaware in December.... But it could also be a reference to a site around Morristown.

                    A lot of folks have chimed in, but I don't think their suggestions are correct. If I recall, you live in the area, so I was hoping that maybe there is a local area near year along the river that is or was refered as Blue Mount. Honestly, I wondered if that wasn't the name of the hill that the observation tower currently sits.

                    In anycase, let me know your two cents on the topic when you reach a conclusion.

                    Cheers,

                    Mike
                  • bobjinpa@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
                      Now there is a Blue Mountain near Stillwater, NJ a few miles east of the Delaware and a few miles southwest of Newton, NJ and is close to some old German settlements.
                      But there are a plethora of Blue Mountains. Settlers seemed not to be very original in naming features.
                      Bob Johnson
                      York PA
                      From: umfspock87@...

                    • umfspock87@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 3, 2007
                        Dear List,

                        Thank you everyone who offered their input about Blue Mount. I think I found a very good clue this morning in the Washington Papers. Check it out. On December 12th, 1776 General Washington wrote the following passage to Congress about his situation.

                        "The intelligence we obtain respecting the Movements and situation of the Enemy is far from being so certain and satisfactory as I could wish, tho' every probable means in my power and that I can devise are adopted for that purpose. The latest I have received was from Lord Stirling last night, he says that two Grenadiers of the Inniskilling Regiment who were taken and brought in by some Countrymen, inform that Genls. Howe, Cornwallis, Vaughan7&c. with about 6000 of the flying Army were at Penny Town waiting for Pontoons to come up, with which they mean to pass the River near the Blue Mounts, or at Correls Ferry, they believe the latter."

                        To me, this passage implies that the Blue Mounts are in the vicinity of Correls Ferry... And as Captain Chilton's Regiment, the 3rd Virginia, was under General Stirling during this period, I suspect that the Blue Mounts that Stirling mentions to Washington is the same location that Chilton mentioned in his letter of February 11, 1776.

                        The question remains though...Where exactly are is the location of the Blue Mounts along the Delaware River?

                        Mike Cecere 7th VA
                      • Damian Siekonic
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 3, 2007
                          Mike,

                          Coryell's Ferry is the present-day town of New Hope in Bucks County,
                          PA. It's located about 40 miles south of the Blue Mountain in PA. To
                          correct my previous post, the Blue Mountain starts south of the DE
                          Water Gap just east of Wind Gap.

                          Fair winds,
                          Damian Siekonic
                          Privateer Media, LLC
                          www.privateermedia.com

                          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, umfspock87@... wrote:

                          > Dear List,
                          >
                          > Thank you everyone who offered their input about Blue Mount. I
                          think I found a very good clue this morning in the Washington Papers.
                          Check it out. On December 12th, 1776 General Washington wrote the
                          following passage to Congress about his situation.

                          > "The intelligence we obtain respecting the Movements and situation
                          of the Enemy is far from being so certain and satisfactory as I could
                          wish, tho' every probable means in my power and that I can devise are
                          adopted for that purpose. The latest I have received was from Lord
                          Stirling last night, he says that two Grenadiers of the Inniskilling
                          Regiment who were taken and brought in by some Countrymen, inform that
                          Genls. Howe, Cornwallis, Vaughan7&c. with about 6000 of the flying
                          Army were at Penny Town waiting for Pontoons to come up, with which
                          they mean to pass the River near the Blue Mounts, or at Correls Ferry,
                          they believe the latter."

                          > To me, this passage implies that the Blue Mounts are in the vicinity
                          of Correls Ferry... And as Captain Chilton's Regiment, the 3rd
                          Virginia, was under General Stirling during this period, I suspect
                          that the Blue Mounts that Stirling mentions to Washington is the same
                          location that Chilton mentioned in his letter of February 11, 1776.

                          > The question remains though...Where exactly are is the location of
                          the Blue Mounts along the Delaware River?

                          > Mike Cecere 7th VA

                        • ju_rees18938
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 3, 2007
                            Hi Mike,

                            In the context of GW's 12 December 1776 letter, Blue Mount may have
                            meant the Delaware River ferry just below Coryell's Ferry (present-
                            day New Hope-Lambertville). Called Wells' Ferry in the appended
                            letter by Benjamin Eyres, it was 1 1/4 miles below Coryell's. That
                            would place it at or near the Thompson-Neely House in Washington
                            Crossing State Park, right in trhe shadow of Bowman Hill. Bowman Hill
                            was the local name for it at least by the mid-18th century. The
                            book "Place Names in Bucks County" does not mention "Blue Mount" so
                            GW and the troops must have given the hill that appellation. David
                            Hackett Fischer does not mention where the troops camped in Pa.
                            before Trenton, but his OB for the Trenton battle (p. 391) show the
                            3rd Va. in Lord Stirling's Brigade. Lord Stirling's headquarters in
                            Pa. were at the Thompson-Neely House.

                            Appended is Eyre's letter about the various ferries.

                            Cheers, John Rees

                            P.S. As per the recent discussion on RWProgressive, that'll cost you
                            a million dollars ...

                            Benjamin Eyre (builder of watercraft for the Continental Army since
                            1776, and in 1778 appointed "superintendent of naval business" under
                            Q.M.G. Nathanael Greene; Risch, 129, 132-133) to Maj. Gen. Thomas
                            Mifflin, 17 June 1777.

                            Notes and letter:
                            "Afording Place two Miles above trentown Not Rapped
                            4 feet & half Wauter

                            Yarleys ferrey Not Rapped 4 feet Wauter 300 yds Wide
                            4 miles from trentown a Road Leading from Maidenhead to it

                            Scudders falls 2 miles higher up 4 or 5 feet Wauter Rapped
                            at the head of the Island 150 Yds mane Channel

                            Browns ferrey 2 miles above Scudders falls 250 Yds across

                            Nolesy Cove 2 miles above Browns 125 Yds Rapped & Deep

                            Pettets ferrey 1 mile above Noleses Cove Good fording Plaice
                            4 ½ [feet] Wauter300 Yds wide Good Road & Good Road from Penney town

                            Wellses falls One mile & ¼ from Coreyels a Good Plaice
                            for abridg 250 Yds across Good Road & Good Ground

                            Coreyels ferrey Rapped Deep & wide 400 Yds across

                            Deare Genl I have mad[e] InQuirerey about All the fording Plaices
                            Betwen this & trentown Where it is Likely the Enemy Will Cross /
                            Welses falls will Be the Best Plaice for them on Accompt of the
                            Hights / Half of the Boats I have Got movd 10 miles higher up from
                            this [place] By Genl [Benedict] Annalds orders / Genl arnald thinks
                            He can Stop the Enemy should they move on until Genl Washington Comes
                            up With them with 4000 Men / the troops Comes in Very fast the Enemy
                            is Entrenching at Somerset / the Jersey malatia took one serjeant of
                            the Brittish Light horse Yesterday … Genl [John] Solovan is at
                            Flemingtown With His Division Princetown Road is all Left open for
                            the Enemy Would it Not Be Prudent to send Afew Brass Cannon to Welses
                            falls / I am Now Going up ten miles higher up to Vew the Ground I[n]
                            Case Genl Washing[ton] should Want to Cross above this
                            I am Deare Sir Your
                            Assurd Benjn Eyre
                            Corells ferrey June 17th 1777
                            Half Past 6 ocloock"

                            Benjamin Eyre to Thomas Mifflin, 17 June 1777, Roland M. Baumann,
                            ed., Records of Pennsylvania's Revolutionary Governments, 1775–1790,
                            in the Pennsylvania State Archives (microfilm edition, 54 reels)
                            Record Group 27, reel 12 (Harrisburg: Pennsylvania Historical and
                            Museum Commission, 1978).

                          • umfspock87@cs.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 3, 2007
                              Haaaa John,

                              The check is in the mail. Well this is exciting stuff. It reaffirms my intense desire to camp out that the Thompson-Neely house for a weekend in some future December...( if such an activity were possible ). That is also the location where the unknown Rev War soldiers are buried ( 23 markers ) and the view of the river there is awesome.

                              I did notice though that the staff at Washington's Crossing were backing off the claim that the Thompson-Neely house was Stirling's HQ. I'm not sure why, but they said they believed now that it was somewhere else... They preferred to talk about the dwelling as a hospital instead.

                              Thanks again John for the input.

                              Mike Cecere
                            • JJG46@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 3, 2007
                                Mike,

                                Many years ago, my unit was kinda the "Park Unit" at Washington Crossing
                                Park. They allowed us to use one of the historic houses as our headquarters and
                                we did 6 small encampments/events there a year. On a few occasions we camped
                                outside the Thompson-Neely House (I remember "Sheep Shearing Day" being one of
                                those occasions). We also included a December encampment at the park in our
                                schedule. The Park superintendant at the time began to have another agenda
                                and we parted ways. Over the past 3 years, things have gotten better between
                                the Park and reenactors.

                                Speaking of Lord Stirling, a few miles from Washington Crossing Park is the
                                Borough of Newtown. Members of our regiment used to live in a house at 111
                                South State Street (The Bird in Hand tavern, circa 1690) that was used by
                                tailors for the Continental Army in 1778. Next door is an 18th century house (a
                                private residence) that bears a plaque claiming that it was Lord Stirling's HQ.

                                John Godzieba
                                5th PA Regiment, Light Inf