A Jaeger and his dog -- Charleston, SC

  • davidmckissack
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      "A Jaeger of the new picket had his dog along. Because this dog had
      run ahead of the advanced post, his master called for him, whistling
      the recall of the Jaegers. Hence Lieutenant Kling, though I had told
      him to remain at his post until nightfall, withdrew, believing that I
      had changed my mind.
      He was barely halfway to the encampment when twenty enemy horse
      arrived at the very spot where he had lain in ambush."

      Diary of Jaeger officer named Hinrichs, written during the seige of
      Charleston,SC, March 21, 1780. Cited in the Brigade Dispatch, Autumn
      1985,
      p.17.