Battle of the Hook

  • southernbredson03
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 11, 2006
      Hey,

      Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly took place in "The Battle of
      the Hook?" I saw my unit was one of the units signed up for this
      battle at the 225th of Yorktown. I would like some info about the
      battle before I go and take part in it.

      Thankyou

      Wade Rogers 2nd NC
    • Todd Post
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 11, 2006
        Wade,

        Also known as the Battle of Gloucester Point. Across the York River
        at Gloucester, Virginia, General George Weedon and his 1,500 Virginia
        militia had been opposing the British garrison commanded by Lt.
        Colonel Thomas Dundas. On September 28, 1781, Weedon was reinforced
        by 600 men of the French Lauzun's Legion. On October 1, General de
        Choisy assumed allied command of these operations while 800 marines
        were detached to Gloucester as well. On October 2, Lt. Colonel
        Tarleton's British Legion arrived to support Dundas bringing the
        British garrison's strength to nearly 1,000 men.

        On October 3, 1781, Lt. Colonel Dundas was returning to camp after
        leading a foraging expedition when General de Choisy pushed forward.
        Dragoons from Lauzun's Legion formed an advance for de Choisy, while
        Lt. Colonel Tarleton's cavarly formed a rear screen for the British.
        Tarleton was nearly captured by Lauzun when he was pinned under his
        horse, but some of his men rode in and saved him. Tarleton
        reassembled his men, but John Mercer held the allied line and
        Tarleton withdrew. He would not see any more action on the American
        continent. For the remainder of the campaign, Choisy kept the British
        garrison at Gloucester pinned.

        The historical site of the battle is marked by a Department of
        Historic Resources sign in a small grassy lot behind a Hardee's off
        of US-17.

        Cheers,
        Todd Post
        2d Virginia Regiment
        www.secondvirginia.org

        "The heroism and gallantry of the second Virginia regiment I cannot
        help particularly mentioning; they would do honour to any country in
        the world. It is universally believed they behaved the best of any
        troops in the field."
        -- Virginia Gazette, October 17, 1777

        On Oct 11, 2006, at 12:48 PM, southernbredson03 wrote:

        > Hey,
        >
        > Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly took place in "The Battle of
        > the Hook?" I saw my unit was one of the units signed up for this
        > battle at the 225th of Yorktown. I would like some info about the
        > battle before I go and take part in it.
        >
        > Thankyou
        >
        > Wade Rogers 2nd NC
        >

        > Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers,
        > RevList member photos, FAQ, etc., at
        >
        > http://www.liming.org/revlist/

        > Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • robert dunkerly
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 11, 2006
          Hey,

          Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly took place in "The Battle of
          the Hook?" I saw my unit was one of the units signed up for this
          battle at the 225th of Yorktown. I would like some info about the
          battle before I go and take part in it.

          Thankyou

          Wade Rogers 2nd NC

          Wade,

          Good question, as its not real famous. The Battle of the Hook took place on Oct. 3, 1781, on the north shore above the York River at Gloucester Point. Tarleton and his forces were returning from a foraging expedition when they ran into Lauzun's Legion and American infantry. It was an inconclusive battle, but it did force the British to stay within their Gloucester Point defences for the remainder of the campaign, cutting them off from supply in the countryside. The book "Guns of Independence" is the best coverage of the entire campaign...check it out if you havn't seen it.

          Bert

          Recent Activity

          9
          New Members

          1
          New Links

          Visit Your Group

          School education
          Pre school education
          Sat subject tests
          Subject to real estate investing
          American war of independence

          Yahoo! Avatars
          Express Yourself
          Show your style in
          Messenger & more.

          Yahoo! Mail
          Get on board
          You're invited to try
          the all-new Mail Beta.

          Y! Messenger
          Group get-together
          Host a free online
          conference on IM.

          Need to Reply?

          Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Calendar
          Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers, RevList member photos, FAQ, etc., at

          http://www.liming.org/revlist/

          TO UNSUBSCRIBE: please send a message to
          Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

        • chrisw1stva
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 12, 2006
            It also doesn't help that this skirmish doesn't really seem to have
            an official name.

            The Osprey text on Yorktown gives details (and a nice illustration)
            of the engagement, but does not call it by that name.

            Other texts I have read call this encounter different things. There
            was another "Battle of the Hook" in the northern theater as I seem
            to recal, maybe in 79. That doesn't help matters either!

            Chris

            1stVA

            --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, robert dunkerly <bd1754@...> wrote:

            > Hey,
            >
            > Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly took place in "The Battle of
            > the Hook?" I saw my unit was one of the units signed up for this
            > battle at the 225th of Yorktown. I would like some info about the
            > battle before I go and take part in it.
            >
            > Thankyou
            >
            > Wade Rogers 2nd NC
            >

            > Wade,
            >
            > Good question, as its not real famous. The Battle of the Hook
            took place on Oct. 3, 1781, on the north shore above the York River
            at Gloucester Point. Tarleton and his forces were returning from a
            foraging expedition when they ran into Lauzun's Legion and American
            infantry. It was an inconclusive battle, but it did force the
            British to stay within their Gloucester Point defences for the
            remainder of the campaign, cutting them off from supply in the
            countryside. The book "Guns of Independence" is the best coverage
            of the entire campaign...check it out if you havn't seen it.

            > Bert
            >
            > Recent Activity
            >
            > 9
            > New Members
            >
            > 1
            > New Links
            >
            > Visit Your Group
            >
            > School education
            > Pre school education
            > Sat subject tests
            > Subject to real estate investing
            > American war of independence
            >
            > Yahoo! Avatars
            > Express Yourself
            > Show your style in
            > Messenger & more.
            >
            > Yahoo! Mail
            > Get on board
            > You're invited to try
            > the all-new Mail Beta.
            >
            > Y! Messenger
            > Group get-together
            > Host a free online
            > conference on IM.
            >

            > Need to Reply?
            > Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message
            in the Daily Digest.

            > Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Calendar
            > Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers,
            RevList member photos, FAQ, etc., at

            > http://www.liming.org/revlist/

            > Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            > with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

            > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch
            format to Traditional

          • Gary Corrado
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 12, 2006
              If you are that interested in the battle, why don't you attend Dr.
              Robert Sulentic's lecture on the battle at Gloucester County
              Courthouse Thursday night at 7 PM?
              It will be followed by a wreath laying ceremony and refreshments, and
              they would love to have you come in kit-and its free.It is located 12
              miles from the bridge at Yorktown on route 17.
              Something to do for Thursday evening besides sleep at Endview.
              Gary Corrado.QR

              --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "chrisw1stva" <chris1stva@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > >
              > > Y! Messenger
              > > Group get-together
              > > Host a free online
              > > conference on IM.
              > >

              > > Need to Reply?
              > > Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message
              > in the Daily Digest.
              > >

              > > Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
              > > Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Calendar
              > > Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers,
              > RevList member photos, FAQ, etc., at
              > >
              > > http://www.liming.org/revlist/
              > >
              > > TO UNSUBSCRIBE: please send a message to
              > > Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
              > > with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.
              > >
              > > Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
              > > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch
              > format to Traditional
              > > Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

            • Robert Sulentic
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 12, 2006
                Um.....I think there has been a mistake.

                I think you mean Dr. Robert Selig perhaps?

                Hochachtungsvoll,
                Robert Sulentic
                www.vondonop.org

> [...]
                >> > Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message
                >> in the Daily Digest.
                >> >

                >> > Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
                >> > Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Calendar
                >> > Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers,
                >> RevList member photos, FAQ, etc., at
                >> >
                >> > http://www.liming.org/revlist/
                >> >
                >> > TO UNSUBSCRIBE: please send a message to
                >> > Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                >> > with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.
                >> >
                >> > Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
                >> > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch
                >> format to Traditional
                >> > Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

                >Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers, RevList member photos, FAQ, etc., at
                >
                >http://www.liming.org/revlist/
                >
                >TO UNSUBSCRIBE: please send a message to

              • Marshall Smith
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 29, 2013
                  Revlist, as most of you are aware, the Battle of the Hook erenactment is to be held as it was in 2008 - at the Inn at Warner Hall, Gloucester VA Ocober 19 - 20, 2013. I am accepting sutler applications no more then 30 preapproved for the event http://www.battleofthehook.org/sutlers.html . If you have interest or questions please contact me at thehooksutler@... .
                  Marshall Smith

                • carlgnam1va
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 21, 2013
                    I realize everyone is gearing up for Monmouth, and I look forward to seeing many friends there. In the meantime, here's a quick Sutler update for the Battle of the Hook.

                    As of Friday we have received registrations from 15 sutlers, and are awaiting the return of registration forms from 5 more, for a total of 20 sutlers signed on so far. We want everyone to attend who is interested but due to space limitations we expect to limit the number of sutlers to 30. If you are interested in registering for a sutler space, please contact Marshall Smith via e-mail: thehooksutler(at)yahoo.com

                    Unit registrations continue to come in and I will update the participant count in the coming weeks.

                    Registration and more information is on our website:
                    www.battleofthehook.org

                    For those interested, you'll also find updates, photos, news and more on our Facebook page:
                    https://www.facebook.com/BattleOfTheHook

                    Chip Gnam
                    1VA Regt.