Newtown

  • Timothy N. Traver
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 25, 1999
      Liste,

      Just wondering who will be attending the Newtown Battlefield reenactment
      this weekend for the 220th anniversary of the Sullivan & Clinton Campaign?
      I'm excited about attending as I had several ancestors who served in the
      campaign, what better way to learn than to spend a weekend doing as ones
      ancestors did!

      Does anyone know the times the public will be allowed to enter the park???
      Please let me know via private e-mail so as to not clog up the list.

      Thanks,

      Tim
      (rookie member, Selin's Independent Rifles)

      Timothy N. Traver
      tntraver@...

      http://home.att.net/~tntraver/
    • jwfilipski@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 18, 2000
        Bob,
        My unit has been at Newtown since it started a number of years ago.
        It usually has been amedium size event but since Mitch has made it into a
        Northern Department event this year we really don't know what to expect
        because the layout will be different with the American camp being some
        distance away from theBritish camp.
        Saturday has always been our day and it looks the same this year only much
        bigger.
        All day war game. Sundays event is for the public with the usual show and
        tell.
        As to horse friendly, I would say even though it is the top of a
        mountain, there is some parade fields which are quite long and that's where
        we usually end up with the public watching on Sunday. The woods (quite deep)
        are zig zaged with trails which horses can easily navigate, now that I have a
        good knowledge from Hugh about what horse need after Old Mill's Event.
        There is a paved road which runs from the British Camp to the American
        camp which leads through the wood and is ideal for ambuscades, zig zag fences
        and all. In that part of the woods there is a large breast work also that
        stretches about 75 yd or more,
        A lot of room to play and it has always been loads of fun. and the guys
        that are involved in organizing it are the greatest.
        Oh, I almost forgot one of my favorite parts; they make us breakfast on
        Sunday: some of the finest pastries I have ever eaten. I'm sure you will
        enjoy it!
        Yr. Mst. Hmbl. & Obdt. Svt.,
        Jim W. Filipski
        Selin's Independent Rifle Co.
      • Newtons
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 10, 2004
          Hello,

          At this point we have 24 sutlers/merchants registered and expect over 750
          reenactors, military & civilian.

          Pam
          225th Newtown Chairperson

          Message: 20
          Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:09:40 -0400
          From: "SGMaitland" <sgmaitland@...>
          Subject: Newtown NY

          Has anyone heard anything about the size of the event at Newton?
          Scott Maitland
          Cherry's Coy
          2NHLI

          Message: 21
          Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:32:14 -0400
          From: Patrick J OKelley <goober.com@...>
          Subject: Savannah horse numbers - now cannons

          Howdy,

          >Glad to hear the registration broke a hundred.
          >Don't know where all the
          >horse rumor came from.

          On the Rev List, it came from me.
          I got it from a guy with horses who will be at Savannah, who said
          that he got the numbers from Mike Vaquer (he said that the big mounted
          unit from out west was going to show up - the one who does the movies
          such as The Patriot and Ride With The Devil, making it from 50 to 100
          horses)
          It just goes to show you that don't trust secondary sources.
          I hereby officially recant my horse numbers posted to the Rev
          List.
          I am writing the numbers down...
          now I am striking a line through it.
          There.
          Now, onto other numbers.
          How many cannons does it looks like will be at Savannah? There
          are 8 cannon-type units registered on the site (either all cannons, or
          part cannons). Some of those units have one cannon, some have many.

          Patrick O'Kelley
          http://www.2nc.org/
          Author of "Nothing but Blood and Slaughter" The Revolutionary War in the
          Carolinas, Volume One, 1771-1779
          Available at http://www.booklocker.com/books/1469.html

          Message: 22
          Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:42:20 -0500
          From: "Kate Johnson" <graphicart@...>
          Subject: Re: tent waterproofing

          > Thompson's Water Seal - not the deck sealer - the other stuff. Can get it
          at
          > Home Depot.
          >
          > Good stuff - works. Stinks for a few days after going on.

          And whereas I can't vouch for this myself, someone once told me that you
          could use acrylic floor finish, like Future, that worked just as well as
          Thompson's...anyone tried that? MUCH less expensive, if it works...

          Best--
          Kate

          Message: 23
          Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 01:20:34 -0000
          From: "Glenn Cunningham" <trpb16ltdrag@...>
          Subject: Re: Jap Bess Main Spring

          Winston,
          Try Dixon's Muzzleloading shop in Pennsylvania
          http://dixonmuzzleloading.com/ They were always a good source when I
          lived down in that area. Been dealing with them for years.
          Glenn Cunningham
          16th QLD
          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, GuardsOfc@n... wrote:
          > John
          >
          > Would these folks have other parts as well? I need a new Feather
          or Frizzens spring, the screw to hold same and the screw the hold the
          hammer on for my very tired Jap Bess. (you would be too if you were
          something mechanical over 28 years old.)

          > Winston S. Stone
          > Capt. & Lt. Col.
          > 1st Guards
          > Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense
          >

          > John White <avalonf@b...> wrote:
          >
          > >Joseph
          > >
          > >Here is some info I sent Pat off list, but I may as well share it
          with
          > >everyone.
          > >
          > >There are two guys who offer their own replica mainsprings for $35
          each
          > >(last time I checked).
          > >
          > >Jim Casco in Vermont will install a new spring in your lock for
          $35:
          > >caspar@v...
          > >
          > >Ed Woodland in Pennsylvania will sell the spring for $35:
          > >rody@v...
          > >
          > >John White
          > >Avalon Forge
          > >Baltimore
          > >"All Manner of Replicas for Living History"
          > > http://www.avalonforge.com
          > >

          > >Joseph Ruckman wrote:
          > >
          > >>Hey Patrick,

          > >>Good luck - I've never been able to find any. OTOH I've fit
          Italian
          > >>springs to Jap locks and they're better springs to boot. It's
          not
          > >>an exact match and requires that the old holes be filled and new
          > >>ones drilled and tapped.
          > >>
          > >>Joseph
          > >>

          > >>Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers,
          RevList member photos, FAQ, etc., at

          http://isp.netscape.com/register

          > Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

          Message: 24
          Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 02:00:42 -0000
          From: "revbook1" <revbook@...>
          Subject: Lottery Coats

          Messrs. Post and O'Kelley,

          It is with great interest that I am following the discourse on the
          Lottery Coats. You gentlemen are an example of how a disagreement on
          the Revlist should be conducted. As for myself, I don't care who is
          right. I'm just learning and enjoying the ride.....

          Hoping more people "agree to disagree".
          Don Newton
          8th PA

          Message: 25
          Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:25:33 -0400
          From: "Walter McIntyre" <wmcintyre2@...>

          Pat,

          I understand that Mike Nagy of the 4th Battalion Royal Artillery is also
          bringing maybe two guns and a CoeHorn, but they're not listed on the website
          yet.

          Walter M. McIntyre
          wmcintyre2@...
          Col. Locke's Militia Co./Kingsbury's NC Artillery Co.
          www.angelfire.com/nc/Lockes

          It is impossible to carry on a war without oppressing the inhabitants in
          some degree; and however disagreeable
          and inconvenient it may be to the people, and to those in power, a regard to
          the common good and general safety
          will justify the measure.

          Nathaniel Greene to President Joseph Reed, 1 August 1780

          with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

        • ctoakes
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
            <<<<Greetings List,
            Is the official calendar date of the Battle of Newtown
            listed yet?

            Thanks
            Jim Brown>>>>>>>

            Good day Jim,

            I have it down as Aug 23 & 24th.

            Y.M.O.S.
            C. T. Oakes
            585-226-6797

          • Larry Gorecki
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
              The date for the 2008 Battle of Newtown is set for August 23rd and 24th. I have a flyer to confirm this. Regards, Larry Gorecki

              To: Revlist@yahoogroups.comFrom: ctoakes@...: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 08:51:19 -0400Subject: [Revlist] Newtown

              <<<<Greetings List,Is the official calendar date of the Battle of Newtownlisted yet?ThanksJim Brown>>>>>>>Good day Jim,I have it down as Aug 23 & 24th.Y.M.O.S.C. T. Oakes585-226-6797[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

            • John Ogden
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 22, 2011
                Dear Liste,

                Does anyone have an idea of which sutlers will be attending this
                weekend? I will need to more fully outfit my son, who has recently made his
                reenacting debut (and loves it).

                --
                John J. Ogden

              • Joyce Bucci
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 22, 2011
                  We have registered:

                  Colonial Needle & Thread (Mary Ann Poore)
                  Woodland Wampum (Dave Hasler)
                  The Scarlet Scarab (Lisa Tolles)
                  Oakhill Clothiers (Gail Kellogg)
                  Lady Ellen's Fine Wares (Ellen Ruck)
                  Some Wares in Time (Deborah Pitonyak)
                  Wolf Mountain Trading (Ronald Galluppi)
                  Opre Blanket Traders (John & Melanie Opre)
                  The Mountain Forge (Tom Muschlitz)
                  Lynn Otto, Blanket Trader
                  Mohawk Valley Leather Co. (James Badura)

                  And I just found out tonight that these additional sutlers will be there:

                  Sweet William, Gunsmith
                  The Colonial Tailor, David Van Riper
                  Brad Flint, Gunsmith

                  Possibly attending, but not sure: