Info on British officers' baggage

  • William P. Tatum III
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2006
      Greetings All,
      I'm back at the Clements Library from UTR this past weekend, and
      ran across the following from Frederick Mulcaster, a captain in the
      60th Royal Americans, who was proposing a plan of taking an
      expedition to the backcountry of SC and GA to Clinton. I think his
      remarks on officers' baggage are interesting.

      Sir Henry Clinton Papers, Clements Library, UMichigan

      Vol 19:45 Frederick George Mulcaster to Clinton, 1776, plan of a
      secret expedition into the backcountry of SC

      "Five Hundred Men may certainly penetrate into the back country of
      So. Carolina & Georgia, from Pensacola by the way of the Alibama
      River, as far as the waters of that River will allow, & from Hence
      thro' the woods, to any place agreed upon, & to arrive at a fix'd
      day____To prevent the ill consequence of disappointment, The Person
      who commands the Party, must have been some time in this Country,
      accustomed to the Woods, inured to fatigue, disinterested in regard
      to himself, & bear difficulties with patience, perseverance, &
      resolution.___
      The Baggage of his officers must be proportioned to the
      example he setts vizt. a Blankett & Bear Skin, a small Portmanteu,
      to contain a Short Coat, a waistcott, & pr. of Breeches, four
      shirts, four pr. of stockings 2 pr. of Trowsers a pr. of Shoes & a
      pr. of worsted Boots. his dish must be the Kettle the meat is cooked
      in, & his Plate the Biscuit he eats with it as he must constantly
      carry his own Arms Ammunition, & Canteen of water, & Horses to be
      made no other use than to carry, the Provns. Arms & Ammunition &c,
      the former for the use of the Party, the latter for the friends of
      Govt. in the back Country___ The detachment may march Ten miles a
      day, with case allowing for the delay of passing Rivers, & rough
      ground."

      Cheers,
      Wm Tatum
      HM 17th Infy.