Re: Artifact found .....it's likely a "shank"

  • seconddragoon
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
      Paul:
      I think you're right on here. Having worked in a foundry for 8 years
      and having poured tons of aluminum, I've used many of these. The
      item you found is more likely a "shank" though. Tongs are usually
      used to pull a crucible from a furnace. A shank is used for pouring.
      Crucibles today are made of silicon, although they have been known
      to be made from graphite, clay and other materials. In your case,
      it looks like only one side of the shank matches the cricible curve,
      sometimes both sides do. This is done to steady the crucible while
      it's being tipped for pouring the molten metal, otherwise it would
      rotate in the holder. Go to most any foundry web page and look it
      up, or google the words crucible and shank....it'll come up. The
      foundry world is very old and hasn't changed much. The standard joke
      at work back then was "nothing changes".

      Bob Allegretto
      2d Dragoons
      Ex- foundry manager

      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <hutchins.paul@...> wrote:

      > Dear list,
      >
      > In my real life I build bridges. With that said, most times I
      only
      > get to see holes with rocks, dirt and mud, but this project is
      > different.
      >
      > The Bridge I am building is over the site of an 18th century ford
      > across the North Branch of the Raritain River. It is also next to
      > where a iron foundry was located (possibly 18th Century).
      >
      > We have found some of the original log planking for the ford and
      also
      > what appears to be a set of "Crucible Tongs". I have posted a few
      > photos of the tongs to the photo section titled "Tongs?". I was
      > hoping that some of the members of this list might be able to
      verify
      > what they are. They got a little bent when the excavator dug them
      up
      > frankly I am amazed they were not totally mangled. For scale they
      are
      > about 3 feet long
      >
      > I am still looking for that elusive crate of muskets or preserved
      > barrel of uniforms. For now I guess this discovery will have to
      do.

      > Cheers,
      >
      > Paul Hutchins

    • roy downes
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 2, 2006
        you may find this amusing in light of your last comment...back in high school i briefly knew a guy who was descended from tim murphy, the rifleman who supposedly shot gen. fraser at saratoga. he told me a story: while exploring in the woods somewhere in upstate new york, they discovered a tunnel that led to an underground chamber which contained weapons and uniforms of this era. unfortunately, they werent able to bring anything out: the chamber and tunnel collapsed behind them, and they barely got out with their lives. assuming this was not a tall tale, alas for the loss...such a find might very well be out there. just gotta know where to look.

      • Hugh Harrington
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 2, 2006
          I think this tale has about as much credibility as Tim Murphy shooting
          Simon Fraser in the first place.

          Hugh Harrington

          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 2, 2006
            i did say "supposedly" and "assuming" :)

          • rgrokelley
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 2, 2006
              Howdy,

              > I think this tale has about as much credibility as Tim Murphy
              shooting
              > Simon Fraser in the first place.

              OK, since this incident happened way up in the land of Polar Bears
              and the frozen Tundra (New York), and there wasn't any Carolinians
              around, I'm not too familiar with the controversy. I always thought
              that Tim Murphy shot Fraser too.
              So, what says he didn't?
              Enquiring minds want to know!

              Patrick O'Kelley
              goober.com@...

              Down heah
            • Ernie
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 2, 2006
                This reminds me of when I lived in Puerto Rico. There is a rainforrest
                there and a plaque in it says there is a lost gold mine that was found
                and then lost by Columbus. Of course, I looked, and looked, and looked,
                but I never did find it. I am still convinced though that there is gold
                there, no one ever looked for it while I lived on the island, and if I
                were there now I would check all the streams and rivers there for alluvial.

                Ernie

                roy downes wrote:

                >you may find this amusing in light of your last comment...back in high school i briefly knew a guy who was descended from tim murphy, the rifleman who supposedly shot gen. fraser at saratoga. he told me a story: while exploring in the woods somewhere in upstate new york, they discovered a tunnel that led to an underground chamber which contained weapons and uniforms of this era. unfortunately, they werent able to bring anything out: the chamber and tunnel collapsed behind them, and they barely got out with their lives. assuming this was not a tall tale, alas for the loss...such a find might very well be out there. just gotta know where to look.

              • Nason Erick W Contractor JPRA/PRETC
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 2, 2006
                  Here is some of the stuff I have on Tim Murphy:

                  "Little is known of Timothy Murphy's early life. Born in 1751 near the Delaware Water Gap to parents who had only recently immigrated from County Donegal, Ireland, when he was eight his family moved to Shamokin Flats (now Sunbury) in Pennsylvania. Some years after that he was apprenticed to the Van Campen family, and with them relocated to the Wyoming Valley frontier.

                  On 29 June 1775, Murphy and his brother John enlisted in Captain John Lowdon's Company of Northumberland County Riflemen, and subsequently served in the Siege of Boston, the Battle of Long Island, and skirmishing in Westchester. Later, he became a Sergeant in the 12th Regiment of the Pennsylvania Line and served at Trenton, Princeton, and New Brunswick. An expert marksman (able to hit a seven inch target at 250 yards), Murphy qualified for Morgan's Rifle Corps, and was transferred to that elite organization in July 1777, shortly after its inception. In August of the same year, Murphy was one of 500 hand-picked riflemen sent north to reinforce the Continental forces opposing General Sir John Burgoyne's invasion of Northern New York.

                  It was at the Battle of Bemis Heights (Second Battle of Saratoga), 7 October 1777, that Murphy is reputed to have fired the shots that killed Sir Francis Clerke and General Simon Fraser, throwing the British command of the battle into disarray." From the New York State Military Museum and archives.

                  Supposedly during the battle, the British line was about to crumble. General Fraser was rallying the troops, so the tale goes Benedict Arnold rode up to Morgan and told him that Fraser needed to be taken out. Morgan then told Murphy who climbed or was in the tree already to take the shot. Having visited the battlefield (seeing I'm one of those polar bears who grew up in that region), it was roughly a 200 meter or so shot. The bullet hit Fraser in the stomach and toppled him from is horse. Clerke was Burgoyne's chief of staff, who rode up to try and re-establish the lines after Fraser fell, and was also shot (guess he had the range right).

                  The rest is legend and story.

                  Erick Nason
                  > I think this tale has about as much credibility as Tim Murphy
                  shooting
                  > Simon Fraser in the first place.

                  OK, since this incident happened way up in the land of Polar Bears and the frozen Tundra (New York), and there wasn't any Carolinians around, I'm not too familiar with the controversy. I always thought that Tim Murphy shot Fraser too.
                  So, what says he didn't?
                  Enquiring minds want to know!

                  Patrick O'Kelley
                  goober.com@...

                  Down heah

                  ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Everything you need is one click away.  Make Yahoo! your home page now.
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/3OlolB/TM
                • Gary Corrado
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 2, 2006
                    I believe the exact words Arnold said to Morgan about Fraser was
                    "That man is a host unto himself and must be disposed of"
                    Murphy had a double barrelled rifle. He is also credited with
                    shooting down any Brit approaching one of the Schoharie county forts.
                    during a seige with a surrender demand(with a white flag).Seems the
                    rebel commander was ready to give up, but since Murphy kept shooting
                    them the Brits stopped sending their officers.
                    I have seen his post AWI residence near where I live, a nice home
                    overlooking the Charlotte river valley(named for Queen Charlotte,
                    wife of the King)

                    Gary Corrado, QR

                    --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Nason Erick W Contractor JPRA/PRETC"
                    <erick.nason.ctr@...> wrote:

                    > Here is some of the stuff I have on Tim Murphy:
                    >
                    > "Little is known of Timothy Murphy's early life. Born in 1751 near
                    the Delaware Water Gap to parents who had only recently immigrated
                    from County Donegal, Ireland, when he was eight his family moved to
                    Shamokin Flats (now Sunbury) in Pennsylvania. Some years after that
                    he was apprenticed to the Van Campen family, and with them relocated
                    to the Wyoming Valley frontier.

                    > On 29 June 1775, Murphy and his brother John enlisted in Captain
                    John Lowdon's Company of Northumberland County Riflemen, and
                    subsequently served in the Siege of Boston, the Battle of Long
                    Island, and skirmishing in Westchester. Later, he became a Sergeant
                    in the 12th Regiment of the Pennsylvania Line and served at Trenton,
                    Princeton, and New Brunswick. An expert marksman (able to hit a seven
                    inch target at 250 yards), Murphy qualified for Morgan's Rifle Corps,
                    and was transferred to that elite organization in July 1777, shortly
                    after its inception. In August of the same year, Murphy was one of
                    500 hand-picked riflemen sent north to reinforce the Continental
                    forces opposing General Sir John Burgoyne's invasion of Northern New
                    York.

                    > It was at the Battle of Bemis Heights (Second Battle of Saratoga),
                    7 October 1777, that Murphy is reputed to have fired the shots that
                    killed Sir Francis Clerke and General Simon Fraser, throwing the
                    British command of the battle into disarray." From the New York State
                    Military Museum and archives.

                    > Supposedly during the battle, the British line was about to
                    crumble. General Fraser was rallying the troops, so the tale goes
                    Benedict Arnold rode up to Morgan and told him that Fraser needed to
                    be taken out. Morgan then told Murphy who climbed or was in the tree
                    already to take the shot. Having visited the battlefield (seeing I'm
                    one of those polar bears who grew up in that region), it was roughly
                    a 200 meter or so shot. The bullet hit Fraser in the stomach and
                    toppled him from is horse. Clerke was Burgoyne's chief of staff, who
                    rode up to try and re-establish the lines after Fraser fell, and was
                    also shot (guess he had the range right).

                    > The rest is legend and story.
                    >
                    > Erick Nason
                    Behalf Of rgrokelley
                    > Sent: Friday, June 02, 2006 12:56 PM
                    > To: Revlist@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: [Revlist] Timothy Murphy??
                    >
                    > Howdy,
                    >
                    > > I think this tale has about as much credibility as Tim Murphy
                    > shooting
                    > > Simon Fraser in the first place.
                    >
                    > OK, since this incident happened way up in the land of Polar
                    Bears and the frozen Tundra (New York), and there wasn't any
                    Carolinians around, I'm not too familiar with the controversy. I
                    always thought that Tim Murphy shot Fraser too.
                    > So, what says he didn't?
                    > Enquiring minds want to know!
                    >
                    > Patrick O'Kelley
                    > goober.com@...
                    >
                    > Down heah

                    ~--> Everything you need is one click away.  Make Yahoo! your home
                    page now.
                    > http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/3OlolB/TM
                    > with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • robert johnson
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 2, 2006
                      I forgot that he had a doublebarreled rifle. I cannot recall any other mentioning of a double barreled rifle. What has anyone one else read about such a thing?

                      Bob Johnson
                      bobjinfl@...
                      Ocala, FL
                      Writer, Gamer, Retired

                      <erick.nason.ctr@...> wrote:

                      > Here is some of the stuff I have on Tim Murphy:
                      >
                      > "Little is known of Timothy Murphy's early life. Born in 1751 near
                      the Delaware Water Gap to parents who had only recently immigrated
                      from County Donegal, Ireland, when he was eight his family moved to
                      Shamokin Flats (now Sunbury) in Pennsylvania. Some years after that
                      he was apprenticed to the Van Campen family, and with them relocated
                      to the Wyoming Valley frontier.

                      > On 29 June 1775, Murphy and his brother John enlisted in Captain
                      John Lowdon's Company of Northumberland County Riflemen, and
                      subsequently served in the Siege of Boston, the Battle of Long
                      Island, and skirmishing in Westchester. Later, he became a Sergeant
                      in the 12th Regiment of the Pennsylvania Line and served at Trenton,
                      Princeton, and New Brunswick. An expert marksman (able to hit a seven
                      inch target at 250 yards), Murphy qualified for Morgan's Rifle Corps,
                      and was transferred to that elite organization in July 1777, shortly
                      after its inception. In August of the same year, Murphy was one of
                      500 hand-picked riflemen sent north to reinforce the Continental
                      forces opposing General Sir John Burgoyne's invasion of Northern New
                      York.

                      > It was at the Battle of Bemis Heights (Second Battle of Saratoga),
                      7 October 1777, that Murphy is reputed to have fired the shots that
                      killed Sir Francis Clerke and General Simon Fraser, throwing the
                      British command of the battle into disarray." From the New York State
                      Military Museum and archives.

                      > Supposedly during the battle, the British line was about to
                      crumble. General Fraser was rallying the troops, so the tale goes
                      Benedict Arnold rode up to Morgan and told him that Fraser needed to
                      be taken out. Morgan then told Murphy who climbed or was in the tree
                      already to take the shot. Having visited the battlefield (seeing I'm
                      one of those polar bears who grew up in that region), it was roughly
                      a 200 meter or so shot. The bullet hit Fraser in the stomach and
                      toppled him from is horse. Clerke was Burgoyne's chief of staff, who
                      rode up to try and re-establish the lines after Fraser fell, and was
                      also shot (guess he had the range right).

                      > The rest is legend and story.
                      >
                      > Erick Nason

                      Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers, RevList member photos, FAQ, etc., at

                      http://www.liming.org/revlist/

                      TO UNSUBSCRIBE: please send a message to
                      Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                      with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      Visit your group "Revlist" on the web.

                    • Joseph Ruckman
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 2, 2006
                        IIRC:

                        -Murphy may have had a double-barreled rifle later in life, but there
                        is no evidence that he had one at the time of the Revolution;

                        -Killing Fraser took three shots, the first two having missed.

                        -While he is generally accepted to have been the man who shot Fraser,
                        there is no hard evidence to that effect.

                        Joseph Ruckman
                      • battlehillbob
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 3, 2006
                          I like to quote what a National Park ranger said to me one day. "Tim
                          Murphy may have shot Fraser I don't know, What I do know is there was a
                          lot of balls flying that day."
                          Bob Fry
                        • Gary Corrado
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 3, 2006
                            I seem to recall an incident during the Sullivan/Clinton campaign(?)
                            where Murphy and a young boy were out running several Indian pursuers.
                            He made the boy hide in some bushes, while he led the Indians away.
                            Murphy paused a couple of times, supposedly to plug 2 of his pursuers,
                            without reloading, because of his double barrel rifle. One of the other
                            Indians pulled up short, near where the boy was hiding, and the boy
                            later reported hearing the Indian say something to the effect "No more
                            chase, his gun always loaded".
                            Wish I could remember where I read that account.
                            Gary orrado, QR

                            --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Ruckman" <malruck@...> wrote:

                            > IIRC:
                            >
                            > -Murphy may have had a double-barreled rifle later in life, but there
                            > is no evidence that he had one at the time of the Revolution;
                            >
                            > -Killing Fraser took three shots, the first two having missed.
                            >
                            > -While he is generally accepted to have been the man who shot Fraser,
                            > there is no hard evidence to that effect.
                            >
                            > Joseph Ruckman

                          • Joseph Ruckman
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 3, 2006
                              > Indians pulled up short, near where the boy was hiding, and the
                              > boy later reported hearing the Indian say something to the
                              > effect "No more chase, his gun always loaded".

                              That was actually a story about Lewis Wetzel. Wetzel did not have a
                              double-barrel rifle but was very good at loading while on the run.

                              Joseph
                            • thanoschop@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 3, 2006
                                Dear Mr. Kelly,
                                I am in the process of changing my email address to _thano@..._
                                (mailto:thano@...) . Could you add this address to your list and
                                remove my old one _thanoschop@..._ (mailto:thanoschop@...) . While
                                most of the postings are a little too- how should I put this- specialized for
                                my taste (except for what interests me, of course), I always look forward to
                                your postings about what happened 225 years ago. I retired from teaching (35
                                years social studies NYC) five years ago, but continue to be fascinated by
                                how we became who we are today.
                                Thanks for the time and effort you have given in both the regular and
                                electronic classrooms.
                                Thano Schoppel
                                Heard's Brigade, NJ Militia

                              • rgrokelley
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 3, 2006
                                  Howdy,

                                  > Dear Mr. Kelly,
                                  > I am in the process of changing my email address to _thano@..._
                                  > (mailto:thano@...) . Could you add this address to your list and
                                  > remove my old one _thanoschop@..._ (mailto:thanoschop@...) .

                                  I don't have a list. I post things to the Rev List. I don't have
                                  any personal lists at all, so if you want to read them you can check
                                  into the archives from time to time of the Rev List.

                                  Patrick O'Kelley
                                  goober.com@...
                                • robert johnson
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 3, 2006
                                    Not everyone goes to the group home page and do not know how to change their email address. Some think they need to unsubscribe and then re subscribe with the new address; which does work by the way. They can go to the group home page and simply change their address; however, if they have never gone to the group page they may never have taken on a yahoo address and so cannot access home pages. I just had to help out someone on one of my lists who had that problem.
                                    Anyway, they then look for someone knowledgeable to make that change for them.

                                    Bob Johnson
                                    bobjinfl@...
                                    Ocala, FL
                                    Writer, Gamer, Retired

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 5, 2006
                                      Gary,

                                      When I was researching the Sullivan Campaign, I do not recall that incident related in the resources I consulted. However, Murphy was one of those who survived the "Groveland Ambuscade." He made it back safely to advance guard of the army trying to come to the aid of Lt. Boyd's beleaguerred patrol.

                                      Murphy's unit was also involved in Lt. Col. William Butler's operations out of Schoharie into Ulster and Tryon Counties, New York, from late summer 1778 until mid-summer 1779, to defend the settlements and intimidate local Tories from giving aid and comfort to the forces of Joseph Brant and the Loyalist John Butler; in addition to the attacks on Brant's base at Onaquaga and the Loyalist stronghold of Unadilla in September 1778.

                                      Without referring to any notes (it wasn't germane to my narrative), I seem to remember that Murphy was discharged from Continental service sometime after the Sullivan Expedition, settled in the Mohawk Valley, and served in the militia there for the rest of the war? Maybe the incident you related is from that phase of his career.

                                      Best Regards,

                                      Glenn

                                      Gary Corrado <qrranger@...> wrote:
                                      I seem to recall an incident during the Sullivan/Clinton campaign(?)
                                      where Murphy and a young boy were out running several Indian pursuers.
                                      He made the boy hide in some bushes, <snip>
                                    • J. L. Osinski
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 5, 2006
                                        Murphy was in the 15th Regt., Albany Cty Militia in the fall of 1780.

                                        The firing on the flag incident occurred at the Middle Fort (Middleburgh,
                                        NY) during the Oct 1780 raid commanded by Sir John Johnson.

                                        Murphy had married a local woman, lived in the Schoharie valley after the
                                        war, and is buried in Middleburgh....

                                        Gavin Watt's "Burning of the Valleys" is an account of the 1780 raid...

                                        J. Osinski

                                        --
                                        J. L. Osinski

                                        Schuyler's Co., New York Provincials (1759)
                                        2nd Regt., Albany Cty Militia (1775)
                                        Member, NY State 250th Commemoration Commission, French and Indian War
                                      • robert johnson
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 5, 2006
                                          And, by the way, Burning is a useful book in any collection with its depth of detail and maps.

                                          Bob Johnson
                                          bobjinfl@...
                                          Ocala, FL
                                          Writer, Gamer, Retired