225 years ago today - Vaudant's Old Field, South Carolina

  • Patrick J O'Kelley
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
      Vaudant’s Old Field, South Carolina

      Around the first of June Sumter sent Lieutenant Colonel
      Richard Hampton and Colonel Charles Myddleton south from Ancrum’s
      Plantation. Sumter wrote Greene that he had given Hampton the
      “disaffected Orangeburgers.”
      They were to engage any enemy who was attempting to relieve the
      siege at Fort Ninety Six. Hampton defeated a force of fifty South
      Carolina Royalists at Vaudant’s Old field, under the command of Ensign
      Henry Livingstone. Hampton “killed several” including Ensign
      Livingstone. He also “made some prisoners, took a number of negroes, and
      thirty odd fine horses”.

      Patrick O'Kelley http://www.2nc.org/
      Author of "Nothing but Blood and Slaughter" The Revolutionary War in the
      Carolinas
      Volume One 1771-1779 http://www.booklocker.com/books/1469.html
      Volume Two 1780
      http://www.booklocker.com/books/1707.html
      Volume Three 1781
      http://www.booklocker.com/books/1965.html
      Volume Four 1782
      http://www.booklocker.com/books/2167.html

    • IVBNNJV@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
        In a message dated 6/1/2006 6:30:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        goober.com@... writes:

        They were to engage any enemy who was attempting to relieve the
        siege at Fort Ninety Six. Hampton defeated a force of fifty South
        Carolina Royalists at Vaudant’s Old field, under the command of Ensign
        Henry Livingstone. Hampton “killed several” including Ensign
        Livingstone. He also “made some prisoners, took a number of negroes, and
        thirty odd fine horses”.

        Perhaps someone should have told Livingston he was killed. He was alive and
        well and served with the Royalists through the end of the war, in Captain
        George Dawkins' Company. He was at St. Augustine in 1783. He was not actually
        a Carolinian, but a member of the Livingston family of New York.

        Todd W. Braisted
        4th Battalion, New Jersey Volunteers
        IVBNNJV@...
        www.royalprovincial.com

      • rgrokelley
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
          Howdy,

          > They were to engage any enemy who was attempting to relieve the
          > siege at Fort Ninety Six. Hampton defeated a force of fifty South
          > Carolina Royalists at Vaudant’s Old field, under the command of
          Ensign
          > Henry Livingstone. Hampton “killed several” including Ensign
          > Livingstone. He also “made some prisoners, took a number of
          negroes, and
          > thirty odd fine horses”.
          >
          > Perhaps someone should have told Livingston he was killed. He
          was alive and
          > well and served with the Royalists through the end of the war, in
          Captain
          > George Dawkins' Company. He was at St. Augustine in 1783. He
          was not actually
          > a Carolinian, but a member of the Livingston family of New York.

          The only source for this fight was from the Draper manuscripts,
          Sumter papers, and was written by one of the participants. He
          thought the guy was dead. Thanks for correcting this.
          By the way, if anyone else ever sees anything wrong with any of
          my "225 years ago today" posts, let me know. Sometimes my
          information is only told by one side, and I'm not one of those
          historians that gets angry just because someone makes a correction.
          Let me know.
          Thanks,

          Patrick O'Kelley
          goober.com@...