Re: Accounts of Silver Lace For Sergeants?

  • Alexander McCracken Good
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Steve Baule <sbaule@c...> wrote:

      Steve,

      Thanks. Guess I need to find an index for the
      JSAHR after all. I THINK that Cox and Meier were
      agents for at least one of the Highland regiments
      from that period, but I'd need to go through the
      officer lists again to make sure. I've been searching
      for an archive of Mssr's Bisshopp and Brummell's
      records, but no luck there.

      Alex

      > The Cox & Meier papers are regimental ledgers currently in the
      Lloyds
      > of London archives. It is open to the public by appointment. The
      55th
      > quote comes from the ledger in the year 1775. The 55th's ledger was
      not
      > the most organized set of accounts. The 12th Foot's ledgers were
      really
      > crisp. The ledgers are not paginated nor (in at least the 55th's
      case)
      > in any particular order. The 10th Foot reference comes from Vin
      Kehoe's
      > book on the 10th. The ledgers are simply referenced by regiment (or
      > battalion in the RA and Guards). Cox & Meier were agents for a
      number of
      > regiments in our period.
      > I hope that helps. Percy Sumner did a listing of some items from
      Cox &
      > Meier in a 1930s JSAHR article.
      > Steve
      >
      > >--- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Steve Baule <sbaule@c...> wrote:
      > >
      > >Steve,
      > >
      > >Thank you.
      > >
      > >Two questions. First, do you know if there are
      > >any differences in silver Sgt Major's lace and
      > >silver officer's lace. Second, do you have a
      > >reference number/location for the Cox and Meier
      > >Papers?
      > >
      > >Thanks much!
      > >
      > >Alex

    • johnny burgoyne
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
        According to warrant both the 16th and 17th light dragoons had silver lace for the serjeants.

        Alexander McCracken Good <agood@...> wrote:
        List,

        Does anyone know what the frequency was
        of Sjts wearing silver lace, as opposed
        to the plain lace called for in the warrant?
        I know of only one case, the 42nd in Ireland,
        where the Sjt's spent their own money to
        have this done.

        Alex

        Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers, RevList member photos, FAQ, etc., at

        http://www.liming.org/revlist/

        TO UNSUBSCRIBE: please send a message to
        Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.