Re: [Revlist] Civilian Frock Coat

  • Tim Iten
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2006
      Ron,

      Henry Cooke (hcooke4@...) has a workmans jacket pattern from the Conn. Historical Society that I have worn now for the last year. Also, the JP Ryan frock coat can be modified to that worn more by the "lower sort". Rick Baldwin (baldwinrichard@...) was the tailor I used for the endeavor. Rick had lots of good ideas that proved useful. Hope this helps!

      Tim Iten
      Logan's Company, Kentucky County Militia

      roneisert <rweisert@...> wrote:
      Does anyone know where i can obtain a pattern for a civilian frock
      coat similar to the one in Don Trioni's "Soldiers in America" p. 53 of
      a Lexington militia 1775. Or something similar that would be suitable
      for early war Virginia frontier militia impression. I'm not interested
      in the gentlemen' dress style coat.

      thanks
      Ron Eisert
      8th Pa. Regt.

      Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers, RevList member photos, FAQ, etc., at

      http://www.liming.org/revlist/

      TO UNSUBSCRIBE: please send a message to
      Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

      ---------------------------------

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
        From: Tim Iten <timitendds@...>

        tim
        thanks for your help. i have been in touch with henry cooke and am ordering the pattern. so do you live in kentucky? i am a descendent of the harrods who founded harrodsburg and served with george rogers clark. i plan a trip to kentucky this summer to visit harrodsburg fort and boonesbough. do you guys have any reactments scheduled there?

        ron eisert
        8th pa regt.

      • Tim Iten
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
          Ron,

          Glad to be of help - I think you'll find the pattern
          to your liking. In regard to myself, I actually live
          in Mansfield, OH. but fall in with Logan's which is
          based out of the Cincinnatti area with members from
          Ohio, KY., and Indiana. We do an event at Harrodsburg,
          typically in June, and sometimes we'll do Boonesboro
          if our schedule allows. We did Logan's Fort(St.
          Asaph's) this year as well. If you are interested in
          more info. about the company our website is
          loganscompany.org. Unfortunately, we don't have our
          schedule yet. We'll probably have it posted by Feb.
          Six or seven of us will be at Cowpens this month
          including myself.

          Tim

          --- rweisert@... wrote:

> [...]

          Just $16.99/mo. or less.
          dsl.yahoo.com
        • rweisert@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
            From: Tim Iten <timitendds@...>

            tim
            manesfield ohio? i guess you're about as far from harrodsbug as i am here in washington county pa (home for the harrods before they went to kanituck). i like your website and found it interesting that your unit is also in the northwest dept BAR. i recently joined the 8th pa fort laurens company. what sort of event did you guys do at harrodsburg last june? i did not see that fort harrod was having a reenactment this year. i'll be sure to keep checking back on your company's website. good luck at cowpens and maybe we'll run into each other some day at a northwest dept event.

            ron eisert

          • Tim Iten
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
              Ron,

              It was an individual unit, small, living history encampment which, honestly, I haven't attended yet in my first two years of being a member. I tend to make about half of the Kentucky events due to the 4-5 hours of driving necessary (one way!). You'll enjoy the 8th PA. - they're a good group. Logan's Company finds ourselves shoulder to shoulder with the 8th a few times a year so I'll be looking for you. In fact, I'm making the trip down to Cowpens with two members of the 8th.

              See you on the field..

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
                Other than wool, what would be a good material to use for a gentelman's
                civilian frock coat in the 1770's, say in a hot weather climate? Any
                particular fabrics/patterns?

                Jim
              • Todd Post
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
                  Jim,

                  Really depends on your "status" and location. Lightweight wools would be used, as would linen, cotton, and silk, though the latter actually traps heat despite its light weight. You also see blends. The quality of the textile is going to depend on whether you're upper, middling, or lower sort and the choice of fiber is going to depend on geography. In the south, it seems like "anything goes" as you see a little bit of everything, but wool still dominates.

                  If going for a "better sort", I would consider an unlined lightweight wool, otherwise linen or cotton would work as well. Check out Sally Queen's "Textiles for Colonial Clothing" for some examples and Henry Cooke has an unlined frock coat pattern based on an original in the Connecticut Historical Society.

                  Cheers,
                  Todd

                  >Other than wool, what would be a good material to use for a gentelman's
                  >civilian frock coat in the 1770's, say in a hot weather climate? Any
                  >particular fabrics/patterns?
                  >
                  >Jim
                • Todd Post
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006