Re: French's Coat

  • Joyce & Mike Barbieri
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2006
      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Jay Callaham <callaham@b...> wrote:

      > No, I didn't say "French coat"!!
      >
      > Here's a website that has a picture of a coat belonging to NY
      Loyalist officer, Jeremiah French.

      > http://www.civilization.ca/cwm/expo/highlights_e.html
      >
      > Good hunting!
      >
      > Jay
      > Coldm Regt
      > 4th Coy, Bde of Guards

      Jay et al (nobody else can read this, just jay and al),

      Oddly enough, we just received a message from a descendent of Jeremiah
      French asking us to participate in a French family reunion being set
      up for a couple years from now in the Dorset/Manchester, VT, area.
      Which brings me to my other point--French did not come from NY, he and
      his family had a farm in Dorset, VT. He served in the Queen's Loyal
      Rangers (Peters' Corps) and then in the Royal Regiment of New York
      (Yorkers). The family dedicated a new marker for him in Cornwall,
      Ontario last June. To me, happenings like the above take an impersonal
      and distant object (just a coat) and transform it giving it a human
      soul and an immediate intensity. That's what I'm in this hobby and
      museum work for.

      Mike Barbieri
      Whitcomb's Corps--who probably encountered Jeremiah and others from
      Peters' Corps