More spectacles

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2006
      First I wish to say Happy New Year to you all.

      Following up on our recent discussion of spectacles: I found the
      following that may be of interest to some, http://tinyurl.com/7sxs4
      or http://www.mfa.org/collections/search_art.asp?
      recview=true&id=265063&coll_keywords=&coll_accession=&coll_name=&coll
      _artist=&coll_place=&coll_medium=&coll_culture=&coll_classification=D
      rawings&coll_credit=&coll_provenance=&coll_location=&coll_has_images=
      1&coll_on_view=&coll_sort=2&coll_sort_order=0&coll_package=0&coll_sta
      rt=851

      The pastel drawing is by Jean Simeon Chardin, "Portrait Chardin as
      an Elderly Man", no date given. The image is from the Museum of
      Fine Arts, Boston.

      The portrait shows Chardin wearing spectacles that appear to be
      medium size lenses. They also have single piece arms. This is not
      the same portrait of Chardin wearing the armless, pinch nose style
      spectacles.

      For what it's worth,
      Tim
    • avalonf@bcpl.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2006
        Tim

        Not only does this portrait justify the style of spectacles, but it
        appears to give the OK to any period reenactors who want to wear a
        doo-rag <vbg>.

        --
        John White
        Avalon Forge