French's Coat

  • Jay Callaham
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2005
      No, I didn't say "French coat"!!

      Here's a website that has a picture of a coat belonging to NY Loyalist officer, Jeremiah French.

      http://www.civilization.ca/cwm/expo/highlights_e.html

      Good hunting!

      Jay
      Coldm Regt
      4th Coy, Bde of Guards

      Jay Callaham
      callaham@...

      "If you do not receive this, it must have miscarried, therefore I beg you write and let me know." - - - Sir Boyle Roche, 18th century Member of Parliament

      If it says: "Send to everyone you know" - - please pretend you don't know me!
    • Joyce & Mike Barbieri
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1 10:57 AM
        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Jay Callaham <callaham@b...> wrote:

        > No, I didn't say "French coat"!!
        >
        > Here's a website that has a picture of a coat belonging to NY
        Loyalist officer, Jeremiah French.

        > http://www.civilization.ca/cwm/expo/highlights_e.html
        >
        > Good hunting!
        >
        > Jay
        > Coldm Regt
        > 4th Coy, Bde of Guards

        Jay et al (nobody else can read this, just jay and al),

        Oddly enough, we just received a message from a descendent of Jeremiah
        French asking us to participate in a French family reunion being set
        up for a couple years from now in the Dorset/Manchester, VT, area.
        Which brings me to my other point--French did not come from NY, he and
        his family had a farm in Dorset, VT. He served in the Queen's Loyal
        Rangers (Peters' Corps) and then in the Royal Regiment of New York
        (Yorkers). The family dedicated a new marker for him in Cornwall,
        Ontario last June. To me, happenings like the above take an impersonal
        and distant object (just a coat) and transform it giving it a human
        soul and an immediate intensity. That's what I'm in this hobby and
        museum work for.

        Mike Barbieri
        Whitcomb's Corps--who probably encountered Jeremiah and others from
        Peters' Corps