Buller Claiborne: 2d VA Regt, 1777

  • eric_schnitzer@nps.gov
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 26, 2005
      I was wondering if anyone on the list (especially those in the 2d VA Regt)
      could tell me anything about the service of Buller Claiborne in 1777.

      Heitman lists him as captain of a company until July 1777, and lists
      nothing more until subsequent service as ADC to Major General Ben Lincoln
      in 1779-1780. However, an August 24, 1777 general order to the northern
      department stated "Major Buller Clairborn is appointed Aid de Camp to Major
      Genl Lincoln, & is to be obey'd as such."

      I know Heitman has lots of errors, and obviously the original document
      supersedes his information, but my specific question is, was Claiborne
      still in the regiment doing double duty as major of the regiment (or
      captain with a brevet) by August 24th, did he resign his regimental
      position upon his promotion to major, etc. I'm far more familiar with the
      British system, in which ADCs and other staff officers were often
      regimental officers with commissioned rank (although this was not always
      the case), and were therefore doing double duty. Even Lieutenant-General
      Burgoyne's primary ADC was a lieutenant and captain in the 3d Guards. But,
      since Continental regiments and the army tended to favor staff officers
      which did not perform double duty, I was wondering what Claiborne's
      situation was.

      Your Most Humble Servt,
      Eric Schnitzer

      "but my Experience of the many Evils attending the calling in a
      considerable Body of raw Militia obliges me to give you my Sentiments
      upon that Head and to tell you, that I fear they will render you more
      dis-service than any real Good. From their want of every Camp necessary
      when they Join a regular Army, they commit an intolerable waste of
      Stores, which once put into their Hands can scarcely be ever regained,
      and are so much dead Loss to the public; and for want of Regularity
      in their drafts of Ammunition, Provision and other Necessaries...."

      George Washington to Major General Philip Schuyler, 22 October 1776
    • Todd Post
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 26, 2005
        Eric,

        I'm on the road right visiting family for Christmas, but I'll be happy to
        check my sources when I return to Virginia regarding Buller Claiborne.

        Claiborne was definitely a captain in the 2d Virginia Regiment as late as
        March 1777, as there are payrolls for his company at that time.

        If the document you have has him at the rank of major and places him with the
        Northern Army by August 1777, I would think that he was no longer with the 2d
        Virginia Regiment. I do not know of any companies of the 2d Virginia
        Regiment going north with Morgan's Rifle Corps and the major of the 2d
        Virginia Regiment in the summer of 1777 was Morgan Alexander. It seems as
        though he got a promotion and was assigned as a staff officer. This doen't
        surprise me as other former 2d Virginia Regiment company officers were
        getting selected as aides de camp, such as Captain Richard Kidder Meade, who
        was part of Washington's staff.

        That said, "double duty" as you call it was not uncommon for the Virginia
        Line after Monmouth. Between bearing many of the heaviest fighting of the
        Philadelphia Campaign and weathering Valley Forge, the Virginia regiments
        were drastically understrength by the summer of 1778. They consolidated the
        regiments in September 1778 and again in the late fall of 1779 before sending
        them to Charleston because 400 men regiments were fielding only 125.
        Supernumerary officers were being reassigned to other duties, many retaining
        their titles with their regiments, with the hopes that recruiting would boost
        the regiment's strengths so they could come back. But the fall of Charleston
        kind of put the stops on that.

        Cheers,
        Todd Post
        2d Virginia Regiment
        www.secondvirginia.org

        >I was wondering if anyone on the list (especially those in the 2d VA Regt)
        >could tell me anything about the service of Buller Claiborne in 1777.
        >
        >Heitman lists him as captain of a company until July 1777, and lists
        >nothing more until subsequent service as ADC to Major General Ben Lincoln
        >in 1779-1780. However, an August 24, 1777 general order to the northern
        >department stated "Major Buller Clairborn is appointed Aid de Camp to Major
        >Genl Lincoln, & is to be obey'd as such."
        >
        >I know Heitman has lots of errors, and obviously the original document
        >supersedes his information, but my specific question is, was Claiborne
        >still in the regiment doing double duty as major of the regiment (or
        >captain with a brevet) by August 24th, did he resign his regimental
        >position upon his promotion to major, etc. I'm far more familiar with the
        >British system, in which ADCs and other staff officers were often
        >regimental officers with commissioned rank (although this was not always
        >the case), and were therefore doing double duty. Even Lieutenant-General
        >Burgoyne's primary ADC was a lieutenant and captain in the 3d Guards. But,
        >since Continental regiments and the army tended to favor staff officers
        >which did not perform double duty, I was wondering what Claiborne's
        >situation was.
        >
        >Your Most Humble Servt,
        >Eric Schnitzer
        >
        >"but my Experience of the many Evils attending the calling in a
        >considerable Body of raw Militia obliges me to give you my Sentiments
        >upon that Head and to tell you, that I fear they will render you more
        >dis-service than any real Good. From their want of every Camp necessary
        >when they Join a regular Army, they commit an intolerable waste of
        >Stores, which once put into their Hands can scarcely be ever regained,
        >and are so much dead Loss to the public; and for want of Regularity
        >in their drafts of Ammunition, Provision and other Necessaries...."
        >
        >George Washington to Major General Philip Schuyler, 22 October 1776
        >

        >Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers, RevList member
        photos, FAQ, etc., at

        >http://www.liming.org/revlist/
        >
        >TO UNSUBSCRIBE: please send a message to
        >Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Todd Post
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 30, 2005
          Eric,

          As promised, I checked my notes and Buller Claiborne was commissioned
          a lieutenant in Captain Richard Kidder Meade's company raised in
          District of Southhampton (Brunswick, Dinwiddie, Prince George,
          Southhampton, Surrey and Sussex counties), October 24, 1775. He was
          promoted to captain on January 31, 1776 of a new company and served
          in that capacity through July 1777. It seems as though his service
          in the 2d Virginia Regiment ends at that point and I do not find any
          other service for him until he becomes Lincoln's aid de camp and
          brigade major. Other than that all I know is that he received a
          bounty of 5,333 acres for his service during the war.

          Todd Post
          2d Virginia Regiment
          www.secondvirginia.org

          "The heroism and gallantry of the second Virginia regiment I cannot
          help particularly mentioning; they would do honour to any country in
          the world. It is universally believed they behaved the best of any
          troops in the field."
          -- Virginia Gazette, October 17, 1777

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
            Thank you very much Todd! I really appreciate your looking into your files.
            This information is very useful. We have a good to excellent handle on the
            ADCs for all the major generals up here in 1777 (Burgoyne, Gates, Philips,
            von Riedesel, and Arnold) with the exception of Lincoln. At least, we now
            know one of them. I guess he got a promotion either for that duty, or just
            in time for it, given the August 1777 order ranking him as major.

            Eric

            -- Virginia Gazette, October 17, 1777