Re: [Revlist] Epaulettes & Sashs

  • Todd Post
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 29 7:27 AM
      Larry,

      Again, there are no broad general answers to broad general questions when it comes to the Continental Army. It is going to depend on what state and what time of the war.

      In 1775, Virginia is using halberds and "cutting swords" for their serjeants and "cutting swords" for corporals. In 1774 and early 1775 Washington was purchasing gold shoulder knots for the serjeants of the Fairfax Independent Company. In 1776, serjeants were to have different colored cuffs on their hunting shirts and corporals were to have the same shirts as enlisted men with the addition of "some red twist...put then in the way of making a knot..."

      Of course, none of this is applicable outside of Virginia during these years. Up in the north, general orders with the Main Army stated: "As the Continental Army have unfortunately no Uniforms, and consequently many inconveniences must arise, from not being able always to distinguish the Commissioned Officers, from the non Commissioned, and the Non Commissioned from the private; it is desired that some Badges of Distinction may be immediately provided, for Instance, the Field Officers may have red or pink colour?d Cockades in their Hatts: the Captains yellow or buff: and the Subalterns green. They are to furnish themselves accordingly. The Serjeants may be distinguished by an Epaulette, or stripe of red Cloth, sewed upon the right shoulder; the Corporals by one of green." Joseph Plum Martin writes about the colored cockades as well, so while this was being used by the Connecticut troops in 1776, it obviously wasn't being done in Virginia.

      I find no evidence of the white worsted epaulettes for NCOs until 1782: "The Clothier is, if practicable, to obtain worsted shoulder Knotts for the Non-commissioned Officers. The serjeants are to be distinguishd by one on each shoulder, and the Corporals by one on the right. In the mean time it is proposed that a piece of white Cloth should be substituted by way of distinction."

      If you want general practices, check the Washington Papers online at the Library of Congress, but understand that there is going to be significant variation from state to state, year to year, despite what the general orders say.

      Cheers,
      Todd
    • rgrokelley
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 29 9:50 AM
        Howdy,

        >Joseph Plum Martin writes about the colored cockades as well, so
        >while this was being used by the Connecticut troops in 1776, it
        >obviously wasn't being done in Virginia.

        We touched on this one last year about this time. In the
        Continental army a myriad of different devices showed up, from
        shoulder knots and hat edging to epaulettes. No one thing is being
        used by all the different units. Though Washington put out that
        general order when he first took over in 1775, it doesn't seem to be
        adhered to by most, if not all.
        It seems that each state came up with their own identification
        marks as it appealed to them.
        I have not been able to document any marks of rank on any North
        Carolina troops. They most likely had something, but I can't find
        any descriptions of what they are wearing. I can't find any orders
        for sashes, or epaulettes, for the rank and file NCOs either.
        So most of the time if I am in charge I will wear the minimum, or
        nothing at all.

        Patrick O'Kelley
        goober.com@...
      • Larry Maxwell
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 29 12:48 PM
          Thank you Dn for such a helpful post!
          Larry
        • avalonf@bcpl.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 25, 2005
            Tim

            I would like to purchase a few tickets. Where should I send my check and
            who should it be made to?

            --
            John White
            Avalon Forge

            Tim wrote:

            >Some of you may remember that my site, Jerusalem Mill
            >Village, held a raffle for a Pedersoli Charleville a
            >little over two years ago.
            >
            >Well... we're back with another offer.
            >
            >This time it's a Maryland Contract Musket, patterned
            >after the "2nd Model Brown Bess", with some minor
            >changes. This style musket was produced here at
            >Jerusalem Mill Village (and elsewhere in Maryland)
            >during the early Rev. War years.
            >
            >Features:
            >+ flat face lock
            >+ walnut stock (stained with aqua fortis)
            >+ 75 cal.
            >+ bayonet lug
            >+ steel ramrod
            >
            >Tickets are $5.00 each or 5 for $20.00, and are
            >avaiable by mail. Drawing will be held when our limit
            >of 500 tickets are sold. Contact me at
            >twoshot60@... or jerusalemmill@... for
            >details or to get tickets.
            >
            >Proceeds will benefit the Friends of Jerusalem Mills
            >(501c3) living history and restoration programs.
            >
            >Regards,
            >Tim Jewell

          • Tim
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 25, 2005
              Hi John,

              A check can be made out and sent to:

              Friends of Jerusalem Mill
              P.O. Box 480
              Kingsville, MD. 21087
              attn. Tim Jewell

              tickets are $5.00 ea. or 5 for $20.00

              I'm still a little behind getting ticket requests out
              as the cold/flu I thought I had, ended up being Lyme
              Disease, but I should be caught up by the end of this
              week or so. I should also have pictures posted on our
              web site by then.

              I thank everybody for their patience!
              Tim
              Friends of Jerusalem Mill

              --- avalonf@... wrote:

              > Tim
              >
              > I would like to purchase a few tickets. Where should
              > I send my check and
              > who should it be made to?
              >
              > --
              > John White
              > Avalon Forge
              > Baltimore
              > "All Manner of Replicas for Living History"
              > http://www.avalonforge.com
              >

              > Tim wrote:
              >
              > >Some of you may remember that my site, Jerusalem
              > Mill
              > >Village, held a raffle for a Pedersoli Charleville
              > >little over two years ago.
              > >
              > >Well... we're back with another offer.
              > >
              > >This time it's a Maryland Contract Musket,
              > patterned
              > >after the "2nd Model Brown Bess", with some minor
              > >changes. This style musket was produced here at
              > >Jerusalem Mill Village (and elsewhere in Maryland)
              > >during the early Rev. War years.
              > >
              > >Features:
              > >+ flat face lock
              > >+ walnut stock (stained with aqua fortis)
              > >+ 75 cal.
              > >+ bayonet lug
              > >+ steel ramrod
              > >
              > >Tickets are $5.00 each or 5 for $20.00, and are
              > >avaiable by mail. Drawing will be held when our
              > limit
              > >of 500 tickets are sold. Contact me at
              > >twoshot60@... or jerusalemmill@... for
              > >details or to get tickets.
              > >
              > >Proceeds will benefit the Friends of Jerusalem
              > Mills
              > >(501c3) living history and restoration programs.
              > >
              > >Regards,
              > >Tim Jewell

              __________________________________
              http://farechase.yahoo.com
            • Scott
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
                Greetings List!
                The Friends of Fort Dobbs invite you to participate in a raffle for a replica French and Indian War era musket. All proceeds from the event will go to our capital campaign fund which is being used to help build a full scale replica of the 1756 blockhouse fort!

                Who: Proceeds go to the Friends of Fort Dobbs Capital Campaign Fund.

                What: Fully functioning 1756 Pattern Long Land Brown Bess Musket replica from Middlesex Village Trading Company.

                When: Tickets are on sale now! The raffle will be on Sunday April 1st.

                Where: The raffle will be at Noon on Sunday April 1st during the War for Empire event at:
                Fort Dobbs State Historic Site
                438 Fort Dobbs Rd
                Statesville, NC 28625

                You do not have to be in attendance to win the prize! For more information on the musket, visit http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/M1BB.shtml

                Ticket Prices:

                1 – $10.00

                5 - $40.00

                10 - $90.00

                To buy tickets:

                Visit Fort Dobbs State Historic Site Tuesday – Saturday from 9 -5.

                Order by phone: Call 704-873-5882 and ask for Genn or Scott

                For more information call 704-873-5882 (ask for Genn or Scott) or e-mail genn.reiter@...
              • Timothy Abbott
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
                  I carry that very musket and am very happy both with it and with the service
                  from MVTC.

                  Tim Abbott
                  1st NJ Regt. (Col. Ogden's)